Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-11-2018, 10:36 PM

Dash is on a distinguished road

You guys are enablers

It will definitely be the only tang as they’re not my favourite kind of fish. I feel equally indifferent towards wrasses, which seem to have quite a following. They have a “lean and hungry” look.

Ok, so I was at JL & they had 2 small ones. Well, they’re really cute and I think I want to take on the challenge. They let me put a hold on one as the tank has ich and they’re going to do a cupramine treatment. The thing is, the fellow said it’ll be a 4-day protocol, which seems too short. Isn’t it something like 28 days? What is your preferred method? TTM or continue with cupramine?
Old 02-12-2018, 04:38 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash View Post
They let me put a hold on one as the tank has ich and they’re going to do a cupramine treatment. The thing is, the fellow said it’ll be a 4-day protocol, which seems too short. Isn’t it something like 28 days? What is your preferred method? TTM or continue with cupramine?
4 days of Cupramine will knock the Ich off the fish and make it appear sellable. My usual QT method is 14 days of Copper Safe and 2 treatments of PraziPro. 30 days of copper is considered ideal.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:14 AM

kyl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
4 days of Cupramine will knock the Ich off the fish and make it appear sellable. My usual QT method is 14 days of Copper Safe and 2 treatments of PraziPro. 30 days of copper is considered ideal.
Yup, pretty much the 1-2 punch to knock out the top three problems.

The only thing I don't like about Coppersafe, or any other form of chelated copper is the API kit for reading that high range kind of sucks, and the alternatives are pretty expensive. Given the lack of ease though with obtaining medical grade Chloroquine Phosphate north of the border (or the species that don't handle it well), it's the best choice if you're going chemical treatment.

As a bonus, you'll knock out any potential marine velvet dinospores as well that TTM won't catch.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the info. I’ll likely go the coppersafe route.
Wish me luck!
Old 02-13-2018, 12:44 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash View Post
Thanks for the info. I’ll likely go the coppersafe route.
Wish me luck!
Finding Dory... almost complete.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:35 AM

Haha, funny you should mention that. While I was waiting at J&L, another customer told the staff member that she wanted to buy “the Dory.” I admit I may have rolled my eyes. As a female newbie, I often feel less than secure and worry about sounding dumb. I was like, really, you asked that? Then she made it worse by not knowing what ich was. Come on, sister, don’t bring me down with you! Anyway, her boyfriend said no.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:49 PM

Hahahaha as I was reading this all I was thinking was that she was going to scoop the small hippo you had committed to. I have had it happen where I’m polite, allow someone in front of me and they buy the one thing I’m after.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:53 PM

joe pooh is on a distinguished road

i got the 1" Hypo and it got ich right away. after quarantine for a month it went in the main tank and got ich. this happened 3 times. after that, it was fine for months. it did grow quick. in the end though i lost interest. it was quickly becoming my biggest fish and i never saw it. it would hide 99% of the time and definitely if it saw me coming. i decided to give it up one day, but when i went to catch it, it was already gone! i tore the tank apart and removed all the rocks. i think it must have jumped out when nobody was home and the dogs found a tasty treat flopping around the floor.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:26 PM

My fish are the opposite. They race out as soon as they catch sight of me - I’m the food god (Except tail spot blenny & mandarin, who live in their own universe). I feed them after my own dinner but they swarm around the feeding zone from 5:00ish onward.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe pooh View Post
i got the 1" Hypo and it got ich right away. after quarantine for a month it went in the main tank and got ich. this happened 3 times. after that, it was fine for months. it did grow quick. in the end though i lost interest. it was quickly becoming my biggest fish and i never saw it. it would hide 99% of the time and definitely if it saw me coming. i decided to give it up one day, but when i went to catch it, it was already gone! i tore the tank apart and removed all the rocks. i think it must have jumped out when nobody was home and the dogs found a tasty treat flopping around the floor.
Interesting as my hippo is out and about all day. She will spook occasionally and hide but then return to swimming. She also likes to splash occasionally!