Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-26-2012, 06:06 PM

ogopogo is on a distinguished road
Default Light period

Hey guy's, I was just wondering what the ideal time to be running my lights would be?
I will tell you the details of my tank,
Its a 55 gallon display tank, with a 25 gallon sump, 55 pounds of live rock, and 40 pound of live sand, with a Coralife superskimmer 125. Im going to be running a sump light for either chaeto or more then likley mangroves because I really want to try those out. And my main tank's light is a 250watt hamilton 14K.
How long do you think I should let the display tanks light run for?
Thanks guys!
Old 01-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Do you just have the one 250W halide? Or is there actinic suppliments like T5's or PC's as well?

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 01-26-2012, 06:23 PM

Currently just the 1 250watt light, Its still in the cycle process (only been running for about two weeks)
Old 01-26-2012, 07:06 PM

BigAl07 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a nice setup.

I'd run that unit for up to eight hours a day until you have photosynthetic coral at which time you may want to "Tweak" it up as needed.

Mangroves are cool but they are slow growers and have some specific needs which need to be met. I ran both in my 90g system with great success.

Good luck
Old 01-26-2012, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the reply's, Now im not new to salt water tanks, But I am new to the mangrove idea, What kind of requirements do they need? Im growing chaeto with out an issue at all in my ten gallon nano, But Thought mangroves would be cool to have, if they aren't beneficial for removing all the crap that my chaeto does I may just scrap the idea, Maybe someone could explain the pro's and con's of them. Also i'll take a picture of my tank later on today, Maybe I could get some constructive criticism on it.
Thanks again everyone!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogopogo View Post
Thanks for the reply's, Now im not new to salt water tanks, But I am new to the mangrove idea, What kind of requirements do they need? Im growing chaeto with out an issue at all in my ten gallon nano, But Thought mangroves would be cool to have, if they aren't beneficial for removing all the crap that my chaeto does I may just scrap the idea, Maybe someone could explain the pro's and con's of them. Also i'll take a picture of my tank later on today, Maybe I could get some constructive criticism on it.
Thanks again everyone!
They are cool to have and definitely get that WOW factor when people see a "Freaking Tree" growing out of your fuge.

• a) They need a freshwater mist to wash the salt off their leaves every few days.( I never did it but I plan to one day... integrate a MISTER into my Auto Top Off routine so that they are misted clean by "Rain" every day)
  • b) Any leaves that fall need to be removed from the water or you're reintroducing bound up nutrients back into your system
  • c) Their root system can be a problem if not properly "monitored" to keep them from taking root and potentially damaging a seam.
  • d) They are very slow growing. They are taking up some nutrients but I'd say a very minimal amount when compared to Macro Algae.

Hope this helps some.
Allen
Old 01-26-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl07 View Post
They are cool to have and definitely get that WOW factor when people see a "Freaking Tree" growing out of your fuge.

• a) They need a freshwater mist to wash the salt off their leaves every few days.( I never did it but I plan to one day... integrate a MISTER into my Auto Top Off routine so that they are misted clean by "Rain" every day)
  • b) Any leaves that fall need to be removed from the water or you're reintroducing bound up nutrients back into your system
  • c) Their root system can be a problem if not properly "monitored" to keep them from taking root and potentially damaging a seam.
  • d) They are very slow growing. They are taking up some nutrients but I'd say a very minimal amount when compared to Macro Algae.

Hope this helps some.
Allen
Thanks for the points there Allen, I think I may give a mangrove tree or two a shot, Just to see how they are.
My semi-LFS sells them for about $20 a tree, Is that a reasonable price?
Thanks again!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:16 AM

HaZRaTTy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogopogo View Post
Thanks for the points there Allen, I think I may give a mangrove tree or two a shot, Just to see how they are.
My semi-LFS sells them for about $20 a tree, Is that a reasonable price?
Thanks again!
I believe I seen them for 3-4$ a Stalk in Edmonton I could be wrong but that number pops into my head.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:51 AM

lpsreefer is on a distinguished road

I have mangrove on my refuge love them. It is a big wow factor. I just keep a spray bottle next to my refuge. Spray them every morning.
When you first start off just have the roots hang in the water until they grow out a bit. Then plant them in the sand. At least that what I do and it works great.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:15 PM

$20/each sounds high but depends on how big they are (they are slow growers). I got mine at MACNA for I "think" $1 each and they were about 3" tall with a nice root base started. I never "planted" mine and kept them suspended in a piece of Styrofoam with the roots below the surface. They grew very well for about 3 years until I broke the tank down and moved.