Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-22-2012, 01:20 AM

Snufflupagus is on a distinguished road
Default Colin's 150g Tank Build

Hello all,

Well it's time to start my build thread...about time eh Kien? Lol

The tank I'm building is 72x24x20 with a 48x12x17 sump, overflow style tank. Yes this tank is very much like Kien's, his tank is gorgeous and I'll be lucky to have half the tank he has. I'd like to take the time right off the bat to thank everyone who has been involved in this tank build already, but a huge thanks to Dez and Kien so far as their knowledge and help has made all the difference already....thanks guys!
I had the tank and sump professionally built but will be doing everything else myself.
How this all came about. Well that's easy, I already have a 90 gallon salt water tank, I've had my ups and downs, but have always wanted to go bigger. Well the perfect chance came about when I decided to finish my basement. Note that it's a work in progress right now, but it's getting there. I decided to use the tank as a bit of a wall divider within the entertainment area of my basement. Where I wanted to build the tank into the wall on one side there was a pole support in the way, but I decided to put the tank here anyways because I thought it was the best spot to get three full side views. How was I going to build the tank in the wall with the pole in the way...well I'm not the biggest handy man out there and didn't feel like moving the pole, so I'm leaving the pole here and making a fake wall/area away from the wall. Not totally the look I was looking for, but am happy with the decision i made. The basement was only framed when I started this project and as it stands now, it has the dry wall, basically finished, it's almost all painted and the flooring is ordered and is suppose to arrive next Thursday. I have the tank stand built and this weekend I will be working on the rest of the finishing of the stand, though I'm hoping to have it finished, I know the pull away doors for the stand will probably not get finished as I'm not exactly set on the look I want for them.
I will attach some photos when I can figure out how to do so from my iPad.
Thank you all for viewing my first ever tank build thread and any suggestions or comments are always welcomed.

Now after reading that first post I made a long time ago, note the tank is done, but I have a few fans on here that still wanted to see my full tank build, so I'm giving it another go and hopefully everyone will enjoy what I've done with my build. Suggestions or comments are still always welcome, and for those who have been waiting a long time for this, thanks for waiting!

Cheers to everyone that has helped me over these long months, there are a lot of you and as much as I am proud of my tank so far, its because of all your help, I've made it this far.

Or so now for some pictures, starting from the start. I'll post more pictures of the build as I have time.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:24 AM

Nano is on a distinguished road

looks good so far!
Old 02-22-2012, 01:34 AM

It was like yesterday I remember building that stand, and after all the hard work that was going around the tank with all the drywalling, flooring, painting, etc. It was finally time to get back to working a little bit more on the stand. These next pictures show the progress of the room behind the tank, but more importantly the progress that was getting made on the stand. I bought the counter top from ikea, it was the perfect length for the tank.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanomano View Post
looks good so far!
Thank you.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:04 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Looks like your stand is a mm low on the right according to the level.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 02-22-2012, 04:15 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Old 02-22-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
Looks like your stand is a mm low on the right according to the level.
We fixed that before we got the tank on there, dead level now.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:48 AM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

Just curious, if that's the tanks permanent home where is the power coming from?
Old 02-22-2012, 01:04 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjef View Post
Just curious, if that's the tanks permanent home where is the power coming from?
Oh, just read over the first post and got to the part of the tank being finished. I guess that question is answered.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjef View Post
Oh, just read over the first post and got to the part of the tank being finished. I guess that question is answered.
Lol good question. I had a guy come in and put in extra plugs on the other side of the wall. My electrical runs through holes I have drilled in the wall. More pics to come in awhile, I'll try to get some of the electrical.