Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 03-22-2013, 10:19 PM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

Depends on the complexity of the device.

We also have win8 users with no issues so it also is machine dependent by the looks which makes it even harder to resolve.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:49 PM

subman is on a distinguished road

Vm is virtual machine basically running windows on you mac

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca
Old 03-22-2013, 10:53 PM

I know it turns a Mac into something useful other than a passing fashion statement .........oh cra-p just lit the fuse there didnt I

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 03-22-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:33 AM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
This is something that has been covered in the support forum. To develop Mac software would cost in excess of $50,000, would GHL get $50,000 of sales for this development when VM works just as well and costs nothing? The answer is of course not. Mac still remains the underdog of global user base, whether that changes of course time will tell.
I think GHL is in danger of losing customers to Apex simply because of Mac compatibility. $50,000 in sales is essentially 50 Profilux III's. I'm one customer that is considering changing over in a few years if the compatibility still isn't there, and I could imagine there are at least 49 others around the world that may be thinking the same thing. So yes, I do think it is worth GHL's time and money.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:46 AM

subman is on a distinguished road

I personally love for GHL to move to a web based controller, thus avoiding the Operating system problems. {IE Apex}

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca
Old 03-23-2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakegr View Post
I think GHL is in danger of losing customers to Apex simply because of Mac compatibility. $50,000 in sales is essentially 50 Profilux III's. I'm one customer that is considering changing over in a few years if the compatibility still isn't there, and I could imagine there are at least 49 others around the world that may be thinking the same thing. So yes, I do think it is worth GHL's time and money.
One calculation issue here, where does $1,000 NET profit come from a GHL ProfiLux controller sale come from based on 50 sales = $50,000?

GHL is a global product, if they felt it was worth it they would do it, they are not blind to Mac users there just simply is not the global user base there is with Microsoft to make the expense worth it.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subman View Post
I personally love for GHL to move to a web based controller, thus avoiding the Operating system problems. {IE Apex}
Web based cant control the massive amount of data the GHL pushes, over 11,000 programmable inputs. You need a good sized web server to handle that.

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 03-23-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:26 AM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
One calculation issue here, where does $1,000 NET profit come from a GHL ProfiLux controller sale come from based on 50 sales = $50,000?

GHL is a global product, if they felt it was worth it they would do it, they are not blind to Mac users there just simply is not the global user base there is with Microsoft to make the expense worth it.
You said "would GHL get $50,000 of sales for this development"... I'm not in the retail industry so I did not know that meant profit.

I know GHL knows what it is doing - they make great computers - but that doesn't mean they are above critique and that every business decision they make is the right one. In my view, in order to stay competitive a business needs to invest in its product. Even if that investment does not immediately result in profit, it will keep their product competitive with others in the industry and at least sustain current profit levels.

I know you are not really part of GHL, so I'm not being critical of you at all.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:51 AM
Islander

reeferfulton is on a distinguished road

In my opinion .

They will have have to fix this issue with windows 8 . This light just launched . so if they intend on being around and supporting they will have to bite the bullet . With the way people upgrade computers these days . it wont be long till there are many people with this same issue ..

If i had to guess its just a matter of time before the new software is written to fix this issue .

I im baffled beyond belief that a 1200 dollar Computer controlled light that just came out wont hook up to a 300 dollar laptop .....

rant to be continued lol

side not .. love the light otherwise so far
Old 03-23-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakegr View Post
You said "would GHL get $50,000 of sales for this development"... I'm not in the retail industry so I did not know that meant profit.

I know GHL knows what it is doing - they make great computers - but that doesn't mean they are above critique and that every business decision they make is the right one. In my view, in order to stay competitive a business needs to invest in its product. Even if that investment does not immediately result in profit, it will keep their product competitive with others in the industry and at least sustain current profit levels.

I know you are not really part of GHL, so I'm not being critical of you at all.
This must of been a typo on my part as it costs $50,000+ not $50,000 of sales.

Manufacturers as a whole steer clear of Mac software due to the cost, the Mac user base within the reef industry user base simply is not there yet for the return. You would need well over 500,000 sales with all the profit going to just this one option for it to pay off. The expense issue is because of the massive complexity of the GHL software its not just a few inputs that have to be written.