Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-30-2009, 02:57 AM

Powertec is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric eel View Post
If people would just stop watching the news there would be no economic meltdown! Its all caused by media hype.
Really?
I have to disagree with you along with i am sure everyone else that has lost there job in the last couple months.This is far from media hype.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:05 AM

Lydia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powertec View Post
Really?
I have to disagree with you along with i am sure everyone else that has lost there job in the last couple months.This is far from media hype.
I think the media is contributing, though. People hear times are bad, so they don't buy things in the store or go out for dinner. Stores and restaurants lose money, so lay off staff... I've read a few 'survey' stories now where people are asked if they plan to stop spending. When the majority say they will, I can't help but feel that will make others think twice about spending money, too....
Old 01-30-2009, 04:03 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I'm laid off at the moment as well. I have a BComm and I'm a second year Carpenter apprentice but there just isn't any work here.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 01-30-2009, 04:18 AM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

media does affect peoples decisions, but in this case I think it is a good thing they are pointing out the downturn. If they were not then people would spend more and probably worry about paying it later, without realizing the whole worlds economies have slowed down. This in turn would cause these people to get hit even harder when the slowdown affects them.
I run my own business lending out money to people who can't get it from the bank or need it really quickly, since September I've had to reposess on properties, which I've been lucky enough to never have had to do in years. Some of the people you feel bad for, but others just continued to travel, eat lavish dinners, buy new cars, and then when money is not coming in for them anymore they don't know what happened, or how it happened.
There is a fine line between enjoying life and living within ones means (tend to get through these times), and just blowing money believing that nothing will affect them.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:36 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Heck no we are still going strong up here. Talismen just booked both our trucks for 10 days in Fox Creek and scince then we have been working for Galleon or CNRL non stop scince new years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
???

LOL...I wouldn't even be able to guess what this means.
Talisman seems to be in a better position then some other companies who set their budget with oil at $40, $50, and even $60 a barrel. The company set our budget at approximately $30 a barrel, and have recently started redeploying and moving into unconventional drilling. While we are well positioned, and are not currently laying off anyone, we are re-deploying people to different projects. Although right now we are experiencing a hiring freeze, and I suspect if the economy worsens, then the company will begin layoffs.

Sorry guys about having been handed your pick slips, I hope things perk up and you make it through this unscathed. It sucks because its hard on everyone.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:40 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkshiu View Post
Funny, that's what our local politicians are saying about Vancouver as well
LOL, as long as it keeps translating to my husbands industry and mine...I am thankful..
Old 01-30-2009, 08:32 AM

awa1979 is on a distinguished road

I was laid off in December, waiting for EI right now. I have had 2 interviews in the past month, no offers yet.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:32 PM

bignose is on a distinguished road

I'm going to school in a month so I doubt anyone will hire me for a month.

Last edited by Aquattro; 01-30-2009 at 07:45 PM. Reason: removed comment
Old 01-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
I'm laid off at the moment as well. I have a BComm and I'm a second year Carpenter apprentice but there just isn't any work here.

You could have your choice of places to use your trade out here.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

Sfunny...
I got a raise last month.
Guess thats what happens when you lose half your business due to market conditions and your boss is afraid you'll lose the other half if you leave.

I work in the financial industry, sort of on the frontline of all this b.s. and while the media does play it's part in market manipulation, they are merely doing exactly what the talking heads expected and planned for them to do.

I also have a few friends who aren't drunk who have lost their jobs, one of them an insulator, just thought that comment was a little ignorant, especially to those who have been laid off and are not "drunks".

anyone in the stock market at all here?
I'm looking around now and thinking this is the greatest opportunity of my life to create wealth, at least as far as canadian public companies go (like talisman and suncor for that matter)

The fallout from american overspending and the "aaa" mortgage backed paper that got us all into this mess will be long lasting, but the fed and governments all over the world are taking larger and swifter steps to combat it then ever before in history.

This recession has affected the service industries so far, it'll be the retail, tourism and small businesses that will have to watch the bottom line now as the layoffs trickle their way down through the economy

Take it as a good sign that since lehman brothers, we haven't seen any other major financial institutions crack and falter YET.
this should have been much worse, and it seems that the unprecedented steps being taken by those that allowed this all to occur under their noses is working, so far....