Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 02-04-2009, 05:05 PM

mothership is on a distinguished road
Default Planning a new tank

Longtime lurker, new poster here.

So I'm planning a new 150Gw/ sump FOWLR tank. What I'm looking at is what sort of filtration system to use with it. I was looking at having dual phosban reactors going with activated carbon and a robiphos which is only good to 150g, however I was also looking at a zeovit system.

cost is important, however I'd like the ability of converting the tank to a reef tank in the future. One important factor is that I want the lowest electrical consumption as possible.

Do I have any other options (I want to avoid cannisters) for this?

I'm months away from actually setting up the tank, however I'd like to get as much planning done before hand as possible.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

for filtration go with lots of Live rock and sand.
for lighting if it's only going to be a fowler you could use t5's as they are really cost effective... for a 6ft 4t5 should be adequete.
Make sure you get a heavy duty skimmer as with a fish only, depending on what you want to stock it could be a heavy load.
For flow in the tank some korilia7(3) should be more than sufficient.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 02-05-2009, 10:21 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

FOWLR, I just had NO florescent with T12 marine bulbs, lots of light.

Depends on fish load but can't go wrong with a good/great skimmer.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:50 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

Like mentioned already, if it is just fowlr then you can use pretty much any lighting system you want. If you want the ability to get into all types of corals then go with a decent t5 unit. Pay the money for a good skimmer now, because you will probably have a high bioload and a basic skimmer will not cut it, which will cause you a tonne of problems later on.
You will not need a Zeovit system for a fowlr, but you can make a little extra room in you sump for future add ons.
When I was running a fowlr all I had in my sump was my skimmer, return pump and a heater. I later added in a UV sterilizer, but you don't have to add one if you don't want to.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:02 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

If cost is important I would look at an Octo Extreme or Bubble Magus skimmer (people seem happy with both as long as you get one with a decent pump).

For lighting, I agree that T5HO's would be a good pic as they are not badly priced and use a lot less electricity. The other reason I would go with them rather than anything else is that they are versitile in case you decide to make it a reef tank. NO T5's and PC's limit you pretty badly.

What length is the tank? That will also affect your thoughts on lighting as the longer the tank gets, the tougher bulbs become to find.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:58 PM

mothership is on a distinguished road

Well i'm looking at a 5'*2'*2' tank. for lights I've selected the tek 6*54 watts t5 and for a skimmer I'm looking at Tunze 9210 or an Aqua C EV-180.

I'm liking the idea of having a larger sump and if I convert to a reef tank in the future I can add the zeovit later.

Even though a single phosban system is rated for 150g do you think it could be good for controlling phosphates.

I'm leaning away from a sand bottom as my reef tank right now has one and for the most part is a nitrate depository. A glass bottom with coraline is good enough for me.

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I would be hesitant with the Tunze skimmer. They are good skimmers but support for them in Canada is atrocious. I have a 9015 and some things have gone wrong and taken months to get support if any at all. They have great support in the US but he can't help you in Canada.

If it's about power consumption I think the Aqua C might take a lot more power than your typical Octo extreme for example. Plus the Mag's on the Aqua C are darn noisy. Not sure if that will matter for you though.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:36 PM

Megs is on a distinguished road

not sure about power consumption but the in sump skimmers i have experiance with that i liked are ...

Euro-Reef rs 135- awsome as is out of box, works excellent, though obviously for a system that size you want a larger model.

ASM G6- awsome once slightly moded, and more than big enough, rated up to 1200 gallons, running on 180 gal water volume system.

i also have a zeo-vit reactor, and it has been excellent at keeping my nitrates barely registerable (if at all, less than 1ppm), even with minimal water changes (dose all the suppliments regularly since were not replenishing with new salt to often).

also running T5HO's, love them, using the zeo-vit company bulbs and they produce a lovely color when used in the right combination, as well as much easier on the electricity bill than other lighting options. (previously had MH and PC)

Last edited by Megs; 03-20-2009 at 05:39 PM.