Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 03-22-2009, 04:55 AM

Norstar is on a distinguished road
Default To get a Clown Trigger or not - hmmmm - Help!

I've been wanting a Clown Trigger for some time. I finally have an empty 50 gal. FOWLR looking for a tenant. I only have a few snails and hermit crabs in the tank.

I am looking for so pros and cons regarding this fish

Any help!?
Old 03-22-2009, 05:18 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norstar View Post
I've been wanting a Clown Trigger for some time. I finally have an empty 50 gal. FOWLR looking for a tenant. I only have a few snails and hermit crabs in the tank.

I am looking for so pros and cons regarding this fish

Any help!?
First off a 50G is no place for a Clown Trigger unless its very temporary. For one they grow fast and reach about 13-16" and are very active. Two, the smaller the tank, the more aggressive they tend to get.

If you have to have one, I would find a small guy no more than 2" and have an upgrade planned for a few months later. Please be sure that the upgrade is absolutely possible though and not just a maybe. A clown will not be happy in a 50G. They are really no different from tangs in the sense that they need room.

Personally I think a 200G + FOWLR is really the only place for a Clown Trigger and even then, really a Trigger only tank. They are not compatible with many fish.

A good alternative would be an Undulted Trigger! Great little fish that only reach about 7". Need to be kept on their own or just with fish like damsels. So a species only tank. They make a great 50G though! Just make sure the filtration is good. Over the years, I have found Undys to be just as aggressive as Clowns really...there are always exceptions but you can't really count on it.

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 03-22-2009 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:18 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I've also seen some very aggressive Clown triggers. They are normally among the most aggressive & will bite & kill most tank mates. If you're lucky, you get a nice small one that grows up with other fish & learn not to eat their tankmates, but larger ones for sale at LFS are often very nasty.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:50 PM

Norstar is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 03-22-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
I've also seen some very aggressive Clown triggers. They are normally among the most aggressive & will bite & kill most tank mates. If you're lucky, you get a nice small one that grows up with other fish & learn not to eat their tankmates, but larger ones for sale at LFS are often very nasty.
Yes I agree. Your best shot is to find a small guy and grow in it up in a community tank--he still may just snap one day but better than trying a bigger one for sure.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:57 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

In my research on triggers I have read that clown triggers will chew on powerhead wires, or any plastic the can get at in a tank. This months Corals magazine has a huge write up about many different species of triggers and the pros and cons of owning them. The author of the article mentioned keeping them is well worth the trouble at times but he was speaking about blue throats more then the rest. However he made mention that all trigger owners love their fish and they are fun to own.

I have a Picasso trigger and I can't imagine my tank without the little guy. He is always busy digging his tunnel to China under his rock work, and blowing mouthfuls of substrate every where. I don't know a lot about clown triggers since adding one is not an option for me personally. He does chase my sleep goby at time if he gets too close to his underground oasis (I don't know what is down there, but I think it is another world altogether). Other wise he gets along with all my fish and pretty much minds his own business and excavates. He will eat anything I throw in, and is very hardy and ncie to look at.

In my neck of the woods I have only seen larger clown triggers available. They seem to have lots of attitude.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2rotties View Post
In my research on triggers I have read that clown triggers will chew on powerhead wires, or any plastic the can get at in a tank. This months Corals magazine has a huge write up about many different species of triggers and the pros and cons of owning them. The author of the article mentioned keeping them is well worth the trouble at times but he was speaking about blue throats more then the rest. However he made mention that all trigger owners love their fish and they are fun to own.

I have a Picasso trigger and I can't imagine my tank without the little guy. He is always busy digging his tunnel to China under his rock work, and blowing mouthfuls of substrate every where. I don't know a lot about clown triggers since adding one is not an option for me personally. He does chase my sleep goby at time if he gets too close to his underground oasis (I don't know what is down there, but I think it is another world altogether). Other wise he gets along with all my fish and pretty much minds his own business and excavates. He will eat anything I throw in, and is very hardy and ncie to look at.

In my neck of the woods I have only seen larger clown triggers available. They seem to have lots of attitude.
Yeah its not easy to find the little guys. They tend to come in quite large it seems.

Blue Throats are a whole different story when it comes to triggers. They are about the most docile you will find. Still get way too big for a 50G though.

I have had a triggers chew on cords in the past, not good. Its hit or miss really. Same as puffers, many with chew on cords and others not.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:19 PM

If faced with chewing what is the most proactive prevention? I would rather fix the issue before it ever becomes a life threatening avoidable disaster. Pickles (my Picasso) is never near wires nor is Griffie. I was going to ask about after reading about it.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2rotties View Post
If faced with chewing what is the most proactive prevention? I would rather fix the issue before it ever becomes a life threatening avoidable disaster. Pickles (my Picasso) is never near wires nor is Griffie. I was going to ask about after reading about it.
I think you need to go buy some Vortechs

Some people use rubber tubing or PVC/ABS (black) to hide the cords in.

I wouldn't worry too much about Griff...I think he would have chewed by now.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:44 PM

I need to get the tunzes to go with my profilux. I have korillias now and they seemed fine until I bought the controller, now I need to purchase the Tunzes to make the best of the controller.

When you had nipping issues on your cords, what happened, dare I ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
I think you need to go buy some Vortechs

Some people use rubber tubing or PVC/ABS (black) to hide the cords in.

I wouldn't worry too much about Griff...I think he would have chewed by now.