Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-15-2021, 02:36 PM

NicoleZZZ is on a distinguished road
Default Nothing can stressed me out than copperban butterfly fish in this hobby

I had an unsuccessful experience before with a cooperban that fail to eat. He was ended up dying just within one week after got to my home with no eating and pecking behaviour at all.

For this time I watched tons of youtube video and researched quite a bit. I thought I was ready, and eventually picked this guys that looks healthy in fish store.

I put him in the quarantine tank with low salinity. At the first few days he tries to eat mysis but spit it out. I was happy to see this behaviour. However he now just ignoring the mysis. I have also tried clam, flakes, brine, mashed seafood mix and fill in Syringe. same results as being ignored.

I can literally see he is becoming skinnier and skinnier. He refuses the frozen food but spending all day looking for foods in between the rocks. My quarantine tank runs for low salinity so there shouldnt any pods and aiptasia available for him.

Now I dont know what else I could do to make him eat.Please HELP!!!!!

Last edited by NicoleZZZ; 02-15-2021 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:49 PM

mihaivapler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleZZZ View Post
I had an unsuccessful experience before with a cooperban that fail to eat. He was ended up dying just within one week after got to my home with no eating and pecking behaviour at all.

For this time I watched tons of youtube video and researched quite a bit. I thought I was ready, and eventually picked this guys that looks healthy in fish store.

I put him in the quarantine tank with low salinity. At the first few days he tries to eat mysis but spit it out. I was happy to see this behaviour. However he now just ignoring the mysis. I have also tried clam, flakes, brine, mashed seafood mix and fill in Syringe. same results as being ignored.

I can literally see he is becoming skinnier and skinnier. He refuses the frozen food but spending all day looking for foods in between the rocks. My quarantine tank runs for low salinity so there shouldnt any pods and aiptasia available for him.

Now I dont know what else I could do to make him eat.Please HELP!!!!!
I just bought 2 last week, had another one before died overnight.
What I was told is to make sure they eat when you buy them, so that’s what I did, went to the store and asked him to feed them, both of them went nuts for brine shrimp, bought them and I have an acclimating box and I put them in there for the past week and will keep them there for another 2-3, the reason is that in this way I can feed them and they don’t have to compete with the other fish for food, they can get nice and fat before I release them in the tank, the other fishes will get used to them and they won’t bully them as they are very shy fish and they will stress out to much.
The secret seems to be to get a eating fish from the store, have them in a acclimation box and try to get 2 as they seem to do better this way..
Old 02-15-2021, 06:49 PM

Captured Moments is on a distinguished road

Try blackworms as live food maybe?
Old 02-15-2021, 10:51 PM

Ken is on a distinguished road

Hi there
Try to see if you can find someone in your area with a rock full of aptasia, I had a copperband 20 years ago in a 225 gallon tank and was in heaven with rocks full of these pest, that fish lasted for 5 years & eventually died, don't know why, since then I never got another one based on their survival rate, not to to say they are hard to keep if you get lucky, I'm sure there are many copperband out there that are doing good, need to seek out local people here that have successful kept them, agreed they are not the easiest fish to keep, you may need to avoid them, sorry regards ken
Old 02-16-2021, 01:35 AM

Torontotraders is on a distinguished road

I purchased one from JL about a week ago. I took a gamble on him, after seeing none of the bunch they had to eat. After about two or three days he started eating a clam (I use a clean razor to get some slices in the meat). I tossed in - Remove it at end of the day to avoid fouling the water. Anyway, I went back to JL this past Saturday and did observe another one there eating from the water column, but of course, it's been a few days, so I'm not sure he's still there. Ask them to toss in some food...

I also saw a youtube video, that someone had a great idea about helping get them to eat. I'm going to rig something like this up, to transition mine to eating from the water column.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUlrEgWGM_k

I'm assuming I'm able to post the link on here? If it's against the policy, please delete the post moderator