Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 03-26-2006, 01:46 AM

rollingstones420 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to rollingstones420
Default New to saltwater

Hey everyone. I'm new to the whole saltwater. I've always been a freshwater fan, and have 4 tanks but decided to give saltwater a shot. I am hoping to set up a 20-30 gallon with live rock and a reef lobster. Any and all advise is welcome. Thanks!

Taylor.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:09 AM

Sushiman is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard! Lobster's are fun & have the additional bonus of being yummy too. They are ruthless killers however so do expect much of anything to survive with him though. if you like the species tank thing, take a look at Mantis shrimp, IMHO much more interesting, very EVIL!!!!
For a lobster set-up I would think a GOOD skimmer, ie; Euro-reef, Deltec, Aqua-c....$$$$ well spent down the road.
Liberal use of carbon, high H2O turn over, basic lighting & a varied meaty diet. Try a PVC cave hidden under the sand & live rock. Research FOWLR set-ups.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:08 AM

Mantis shrimp... are they the ones that crack fish in the head with that spike? I got the lobster idea because big als just got a shipment and J&L has one, so I'm not impartial to other suggestions. I'm currently reading "The Concientious Marine Aquarist" for the basics of marine fishkeeping. I do like species tanks. I have a couple of piranha species tanks. The guys at J&L said fast fish could survive a reef lobster so would they be talking about fish like some chromis or damsel fish? Thanks.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:22 AM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Canreef and the wonderful, frustrating, rewarding, infuriating, you get the picture.
Please post if you have any questions that we can help you out with.
As far as the lobster, I have never tried one and probably won't based on the little I have read about them. They get big and they eat lots! I will be getting a Mantis Shrimp, if I can ever find the kind I want and I think that is a predatory as I want to get. I just got tagged by my pistol shrimp today and it felt like an electric shock so cant imagine what something bigger would feel like.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:32 AM

Deathstar is on a distinguished road

Here is a link to info on the lobster, I was going to get one untill I found out that it likes to bulldozer your tank and move your frags around.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...hlight=lobster

Eric
Old 03-26-2006, 04:48 AM

Sushiman is on a distinguished road

Fast fish sleep too...enter nocturnal hunter Mr. Lobster...CHOMP!
It's a "when" not "if" situation.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:22 AM

That picture didn't look much like the lobster I saw at the store. The one I saw had much bigger pinchers and lacked the purple. It doesn't really sound like it either. The one I saw was out and walking around and it was like 1 pm. Maybe a different kind of reef lobster? I'm sure it's a common name thats thrown around alot. And about the mantis shrimp. Where might I find one?
Old 03-26-2006, 02:16 PM

Deathstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingstones420
That picture didn't look much like the lobster I saw at the store. The one I saw had much bigger pinchers and lacked the purple. It doesn't really sound like it either. The one I saw was out and walking around and it was like 1 pm. Maybe a different kind of reef lobster? I'm sure it's a common name thats thrown around alot. And about the mantis shrimp. Where might I find one?
Here is a link to the most conmmon ones I am sure there are still others someone has in there tank.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/s...cfm?pCatId=506

I hope this helps,

Eric
Old 03-27-2006, 05:18 AM

Its defenetly the red hawaiian lobster. I don't really want to get something that will hide all day though. Are Mantis shrimp more active during the day? Thanks for all the help.