Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-22-2010, 05:26 PM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

I would like to take ten as well.
A group buy for us out here is probably the best way to go so you don't have to package them all individually.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:58 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin65 View Post
I would like to take ten as well.
A group buy for us out here is probably the best way to go so you don't have to package them all individually.
I will look into shipping costs when we are closer to arrival date, If its cheap I will send them out to your home address in the mail. If its really pricey I will opt for a group package sent out.
Levi
Old 01-22-2010, 06:11 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

FYI this is far from a group order:
http://cgi.ebay.com/26-RED-MANGROVE-...item53df48d07e

I use to order these in as well, with shipping they are less than $1 each. And if the package is stopped at customs without a phytosanitary certificate the plants will be destroyed.

You can order in stuff and sell if for whatever you want but doing so with the intent to profit borderlines as vendor status, which a lot of people here have paid a substantial figure to do. It's also misleading to state this as a group order since you're not selling the items at your cost but rather making up to $5 per pod.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:22 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
FYI this is far from a group order:
http://cgi.ebay.com/26-RED-MANGROVE-...item53df48d07e

I use to order these in as well, with shipping they are less than $1 each. And if the package is stopped at customs without a phytosanitary certificate the plants will be destroyed.

You can order in stuff and sell if for whatever you want but doing so with the intent to profit borderlines as vendor status, which a lot of people here have paid a substantial figure to do. It's also misleading to state this as a group order since you're not selling the items at your cost but rather making up to $5 per pod.
Sphelps your right in the fact that there is a small profit to be made, at the same time I'm taking the risk of ordering 300 of these which can be destroyed at the border and I also need to co-ordinate the whole mess (Plus have 10-20 people over to my house and boxes sent for shipping). If people want to order themselves they are more than welcome to (And I will take no offense if anyone who has already posted changes there mind). I picked the numbers I picked for the risk assessment. At an average retail price of $15.00 per pod I believe $4.00- $5.00 is still a fairly decent group order price (and you do pay more than $1.00 per with the cost of shipping during winter). If canreef decides this is some how a vendor infringement by all means remove the post and I will order them for myself. Thanks for your opinion though.
Levi

Btw if anyone wants to order them yourself the gentleman in Hawaii is named Brian, Sphelps has provided you with his ebay post so you can go from there. The guy is extremely fast and easy to deal with.

Last edited by Zoaelite; 01-22-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:22 PM

bloat is on a distinguished road

pmd you.
sorry bout the double pm.
10 to kamloops...?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:15 PM

DCDN is on a distinguished road

If you still have any left I'd be interested in one or two
Old 01-22-2010, 09:18 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure you can't import mangroves from Hawaii, they are a protected species there.

I understand the concept of making money when you're putting effort in but I don't think it's fair to do this on this site unless you're a supporting vendor. Arranging group orders is one thing but you're simply ordering from a wholesaler and reselling at retail pricing, and you're not even legally importing them. In my books what you're doing is unethical in more than one way. If a vendor advertised selling livestock without the proper permits he would get chewed up, actually this just recently happened.

*****edited******

Last edited by Chin_Lee; 01-24-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:04 AM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee
Default Issues

This thread was removed for a period of time to look into some concerns that were raised. After some time to ponder these concerns, there are several issues here to which I will address.

Firstly the vendor status - if this is a one time purchase of an item, we do not see an issue with this.

Secondly - re: the profit margin in doing a group buy. There is nothing written in stone anywhere about the profit margin "allowed" before its considered profitable to be financially advantageous. Having said that, the prices at $6 each, or $5 each or $4 each are NOT retail prices for these items. They are at about 1/3 - 1/2 of retail. Although the prices are not retail and definitely at a discount, will there be sufficient profit for a moderator to intervene due to conflicting interest with vendors? Again, as previously stated, because this is a one-time basis and other members DO have the option to order directly from the source, I do not feel that a moderator needs to intervene at this time.

Thirdly - re: unethical practices. It is not clear on the practice in which the package will cross the border. However, if it is properly labelled by the shipper on the contents of the package AND the package was put through the mail system where CBSA inspectors are tasked to monitor and inspect these packages based on the item description, and at the CBSA officers' discretion they allowed the package in the country to be delivered, then it is at the CBSA officer's discretion that the package arrives in Canada without the proper phytosanitary permits. Ethically it is not good practice BUT nor is it illegal and the chances of the package arriving is based on pure luck. I relate to this in the way I purchase items from China on Ebay in which technically and LEGALLY I am suppose to pay PST/GST on the items I purchased. But at the discretion of the CBSA inspectors, majority of the time they will allow the item to go through even on items i should have had to pay $40-$50 of taxes.
Having said that, there is a HUGE risk involved here in that the CBSA officer will likely inspect if plant material is noted on the item declaration. Personally I wouldn't not take this risk but if a person so chooses to risk their money, then its at their discretion.
Also its been noted that if these are brought in as PODS ONLY, then it is legal and if it is sprouting leaves, it is not considered legal. I had personal experience with other plants with similar circumstances and it had the same legal "concerns".

Fourthly, the selling of protected item from Hawaii - IF we are to assume the seller is collecting them from the wild, then this is definitely illegal and it is also unethical to buy. BUT before we jump to any conclusions and begin accusing people of wrong-doings, we should show diligence in getting more information from the seller who MAY have a permit to collect and sell the mangroves. If he doesn't have a permit or proper reason to be selling these, it should then be addressed to EBAY and the seller of the item. This is not the moderators job to investigate so ALL PARTIES please show ddinitiative to gather some more information before claiming allegations of wrong-doing.

This thread is re-activated and it will be monitored accordingly.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:04 AM

Seamazter is on a distinguished road

Thankyou canreef.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:39 AM

blueyota is on a distinguished road

Levi if your still getting the mangroves i will still take some