Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-15-2013, 04:42 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
You should ask Rig's advice before you post more often Brad.

Excellent analogy.

I too went with cheaper (but still decent brand bbqs like Broil Mate and Broil King). Now I have a Weber E320 LP, LOOOOOOOOOVE it. So yeah, I know what you mean. Now I want to replace my two Weber Q300s with another E320!!!

I read a lot of posts on Canreef and its NOT that often that people simply recommend the high end, most expensive equipment when someone asks about what to buy. In fact, far more often, members will recommend what they have in their tanks, which is mostly mid-range equipment.

mrhasan,

You are trying to win an unwinnable argument and repeating yourself ad nauseam (i.e. Latin term for something unpleasurable that has continued "to [the point of] nausea".)

Really, it is NOT all hype. Sometimes equipment that is expensive is really worth the extra money to the buyers. MOST buyers are NOT getting it just because its expensive. MOST members here are too smart with their hard-earned money (if being a Reefer & being "too smart with their money is not oxymoronic) to throw away money on buying something because of hype. One reason we are on this site and other fish sites is to do our research before making a purchase. If you are soooo against people "buying" the hype, its not reefers who go online to ask and answer questions. Its actually the newbie with a big bank account who goes into his/her LFS and tells the salesperson "I don't know anything about reefing but I want a top of the line reef and money is not an issue" who then gets all the expensive toys because they never bothered to research what they actually need. Its almost always newbies who get "ripped off" like this, whereas most Canreefers who come on this board and ask valid questions before making their purchasing choices usually make a decision that is right for them.

While I LOVE a bargain more than almost anybody I know, and most of my equipment is used if its high end (i.e. Deltec recirc skimmers), and the rest is the affordable Chinese knock-offs you love (Jebao & BM) or DIY (my LED lights), if someone was to off me an awesome deal on a Bubble King skimmer or a Radion light at a price I can't refuse, I'd be all over that. And guess what, SO WOULD YOU!!!!

From my analysis of your postings on this thread, its NOT the brands or the equipment, per se, that you are railing about. It's purely the PRICE of these high end equipment when buying retail that has you all worked up.

Seriously, if you could pick up a Bubble King lightly used from a reefer getting out at the price of a new Bubble Magus, YOU WOULD DO IT IN A SECOND. And you'd probably keep quiet about it until everyone forgets about this thread.

It is NOT that you love Jebao or Bubble Magus so much, that is what you can afford and the price range you want to spend on your equipment. That's fine. I like this same low-end price range myself. But if either of us found a great deal on the top-end equipment, we'd be fighting over who gets to buy it first and don't fool yourself into thinking you wouldn't.

So that is what I have distilled from your many posts and repeated statements in this thread. It's really NOT about being POed at the hype or the "You get what you pay for", it's a "Bubble King is out of my price range and I only want to spend BM-level money on my equipment" type rant.

Personally, I prefer spending on livestock rather than super high end equipment like new Bubble King skimmers. But if someone was to contact me with a great deal on their BK skimmer, I'd be all over that. In the meantime, super happy with my inexpensive, used Deltec skimmers (which were top of the line before BK came out).

Not a personal attack, since you & I share similar thoughts about our personal price range. Just summarizing up my thoughts after following this highly repetitive thread over the last couple of days.

It was amusing for a while, but...

Sincerely,

Anthony "not a personal attack" Shieh

(Note: Also a meat-loving, bbqing-nut reefer from South Asia - Malaysia to be exact)
Nicely put Anthony. Thanks for the awesome insight

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 12-15-2013, 02:01 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Nicely put Anthony. Thanks for the awesome insight
+1... Great posts (and a pleasure not to read bad grammer) by both Anthony and Brad.

And as for BBQ's I have both types. A cheapie crappy tire type for home and a higher end one (Broil King, probably more mid range) for our lake cabin. Might not make sense to some, but at home we don't BBQ much, whereas at the lake we often have larger groups of friends and family stay over and it is so much nicer to cook outside there.

So for me, the mission determines more what I buy... And my wife never accuses me of vanity...haha.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:43 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Often the person "judging" is simply giving good advice in the wrong way. I was just outside talking to my Border Collie about this, and as you know, they're pretty smart.
He pointed out the BBQ. Let me tell you about my BBQ journey. I like to eat meat. A lot. So some years ago, I decided to buy a BBQ. I'm cheap when it comes to things like that, so I went to crappy tire and bought the season end floor model for $79. No assembly required!!
I took it home (had to buy a tank on the way home) and fired it up. Cooked me a burger that was delicious. It was the best BBQ burger in the history of burgers. Overall, a very successful BBQ. But as time passed, I realized I couldn't cook a lot of burgers, and it got to hot to cook fish, and it rusted up after a couple seasons. It was an eyesore. But it was mine, and could still cook a successful burger.
One day I was out shopping and came across a shiny stainless BBQ. $500!!! But it has 4 burner controls, radiant heating, side burners, digital displays, etc. And it looks nice!
I bought it, took it home (came with everything I needed including tank) and fired it up. Yup, another epic burger. It was delicious. Montreal steak spice really rocks a burger. It was no better than the old BBQ burger though. Equally successful at cooking burgers.
But, and here's the value added part. It can cook lots of burgers Like a dozen or more at a time. I can bake a salmon, or cook a roast. And I can boil corn on the side and keep it all warm until everything it done. It's shiny, did I mention that?? It's still shiny, and when I walk by and see it on my deck, I like it. I like that I have a nicer than crap $79 sale BBQ. It impresses my BBQ friends. It rocks, it rolls. It sings and dances. I love my BBQ. Best damn $500 I ever spent.
Now, this is the point where I got what I paid for. I paid for consumer satisfaction, that my BBQ, in addition to successfully cooking burgers, can do so much more. It makes me happy. 2 years later, I'm still happy. I still love my BBQ. I don't envy other BBQs and don't wish I had a better one. It's awesome.

So, if you come to Brad's BBQ forum, and ask which BBQ to buy, I'm going to tell you to avoid that crappy $79 BBQ. It's sh1t. The $500 is way better. It is. It can't cook that burger any better, but it's way better in so many other ways. So my advice is save for the BBQ you need, not settle for what you can afford right now. You won't like that advice, and you'll argue about it. But the advice comes from a Border Collie, and they're smarter than anything. You should listen. Unless you really need a burger now and are content not having all that other stuff. In the end though, you almost always get what you pay for, in some form or fashion. It's not about the burger, it's about the happy.

P.S. Rig says you're welcome.

not a real good argument for this discussion for one reason Brad, you are comparing a bargain basement priced to a medium priced bbq, in this range there is a huge difference that you found out like the case material and such, but when you start looking from mid range to high end a lot of the differences are name branding and gimmicks, hmm something like the fish industry.

think back 10 years ago to the debates between extruded and cell cast skimmer bodies, retailers were charging twice as much just because the body was cell cast, did it make a difference on performance nope, but they would have you think it would.

you mentioned having something do what you want it to do in form and function, this is a valid point that I agree whole heartedly with. if you are willing to pay more for a look then it is worth it to you and you get your moneys worth, if you are willing to pay more for special functions then it is worth it to you, but it doesn't mean you get what you pay for, it just means you were willing to pay more for a certain something, and most of the time that certain something has nothing to do with the success of your tank.

I have always been a function over form kind of guy who will have ugly equipment inside a nice stand.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:49 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Sure, go and wreck it.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:41 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy
think back 10 years ago to the debates between extruded and cell cast skimmer bodies, retailers were charging twice as much just because the body was cell cast, did it make a difference on performance nope, but they would have you think it would.
If you don't consider durability and clarity aspects of performance then I would agree. There is a large difference in strength and thickness between cell cast and extruded tube. Extruded acrylic tube is thin and brittle and fractures easily. So if your willing to risk having the bottom of your skimmer blow out if it gets a big bump or break if it falls over then go for it. I however would rather have a skimmer that will last a long time, take abuse and not flood the place. It makes for less worry when sleeping or being away on holidays.

I bought one of those shiny new stainless barbeques at Costco for $109. It can't cook as many burgers or souvlaki as the $500 model and it has rusted out on the burner covers after 2 years. Shoulda spent the $500. I will agree with Brad on this one.

When it comes to fish the difference can be more subtle and devastating. Take for example Flame Angels. The cheap Christmas Islands ones used to be held in plastic cups in the lagoons. They had heat stress issues and were not that strong. Yes they were cheap and they looked like a Flame Angel so everyone buys them. They gleefully brag about how cheap their Flame Angel was until it dies shortly after or only lives 6 months. This gives the other Flame Angels from Hawaii, Marshall Islands and Vanuatu a bad reputation. These Flame angels are more money because there is far more care taken in collection and holding. You get what you pay for.

A friend of mine who used to be in the hobby once calculated the value of fish in his tank verses the amount of money he spent on fish. He purchased all the fish from the same store over a 1 year period. It was a 10 to 1 ratio but the fish were cheap at the store. He learned his lesson.

There is a reason why the German and Japanese LFS are some of the best in the world... you get what you pay for.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:20 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Yesterday I paid $18 for a movie ticket. Did I get what I paid for? Yes! I got an $18 movie ticket for the $18.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:24 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Yesterday I paid $18 for a movie ticket. Did I get what I paid for? Yes! I got an $18 movie ticket for the $18.
That's amazing!! So it isn't marketing hype at all. Wow.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:29 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Shoulda bought the $23 one much better and the only.way to see a movie lolppppp
Old 12-16-2013, 02:43 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Is it that you paid $18 because the movie ticket that is $18 or the movie ticket is $18 because you paid $18? Damn close loop!

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 12-16-2013, 02:45 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Way to many long winded post to read!!

Brett, must have been a chick flick you seen for $18

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build