Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Controller and Monitoring Specific

Old 01-30-2014, 10:35 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Slow leaks are pretty common for Ca reactors, most people don't even know they have them. Charge your line to double your running pressure, close the tank valve and see if it holds pressure for an hour, if it doesn't you have a leak. You could also have a leak in the actual reactor so you could pressure test that as well but you need to be more careful when doing so. Most reactors on the market are also pretty terrible at dissolving CO2 and/or making the most of it before the effluent, so some reactors are more efficient when it comes to CO2 usage. I would say A 20lb bottle should last about a year on the average system but it's highly variable, one of my previous systems (SPS dominant, 200G total) ran on the same CO2 tank for it's entire lifespan and while that was only around 2.5 years once the reactor was setup and I supplemented with Kalk it gives an idea how long a tank could last. IMO 2 months for 10lbs is way too short and something is off.

For CO2 here in Calgary it's around $30 to $40 for a 20lb bottle and probably not much less for a 10lb. Pretty much everywhere will also charge an extra $10 for expedited service, so you can't wait a week or so it costs more. I now use Oxipro just because they do an exchange system, you just exchange tanks so no waiting and I think it's around $40 but there's no hydro-test or other inspection cost ever added.

Last edited by sphelps; 01-30-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:14 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTang<3 View Post
Not sure why I was going through so much, before on the 250g the bottle would last 4-6 months and I had way more corals and clams it seemed, water volume now is 550 gallons, running a large calcium reactor and was running it off a needle valve about 4 drops per second. Switched to dosing and at 250 ml a say
Do you mean bubbles per second or the effluent from your reactor?
Old 01-31-2014, 12:11 AM

msjboy is on a distinguished road

From other bc aquaria forum site , people there say it is around $20 for a 10lb cylinder at its cheapest... mayb $30 - $36 is standard everywhere else in the GVRD area.
Does not include hydro testing of course which might be another $30 or so if you want that. They use fire extinguishing refill places, marine places that have the machines to do the refills. I assume up north, they charge more but $60 is quite pricey.

msjboy
Old 01-31-2014, 12:12 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Do you mean bubbles per second or the effluent from your reactor?
Bubbles per second

360 Reef Tank
Old 01-31-2014, 12:21 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Yeah I was using oxypro exchange bottles as well, I may have had a slow leak at reactor or tubing somewhere, I could charge the regulator and it would hold for days. Anyway I went away from this at least for now.

360 Reef Tank
Old 01-31-2014, 02:54 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

I was paying about 18 bucks for a 20 lbs bottle and it would last me 8 months on a system with about 150 gal of water.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:22 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

I think I paid $32 a couple of weeks ago for 10lbs
Old 01-31-2014, 06:39 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

I called the place to make sure I wasn't overcharged and that's the price they charge, was no error. I guess Praxair is where I'll be getting it next time.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:44 PM

arrowan54 is on a distinguished road

45 for ten pound in medicine hat
Old 03-12-2014, 06:18 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Just checking on prices here. Lease at one is around $125/yr. App $35 for 20#refill. Like Steve,s just drop off and get a new one.

With own tank at another place, about $50 for 20# refill and about $40 for 10#. That seems a bit expensive.

Think i will go with the lease option?