Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 01-04-2017, 12:45 AM

moosehead is on a distinguished road
Default cant pick up the blues

I have a Canon EOS rebel T5i with a EFS18-135mm lens and i cant seem to pick up the florecent blue tips of the new growth on my sps. Is there a setting that i should have it on? the tips look whitish not bright baby blue. Havent had the camera for long and trying to get some nice frag picks.Any help would be great. Is there a online photography course anyone recommends as well?
Old 01-05-2017, 08:44 PM

obedear is on a distinguished road

You will probably have to under expose the image a bit to get the pale blue to show rather than the white.
No real setting changes to make other than trying out shutter priority (Tv on canon) and going a little faster than auto would set it. Depending on the amount of light present, if auto mode asks for 1/250 try out 1/500th or a little faster until you get the colour you want in the tips.
I've been into photography for nearly a decade now, but I am basically brand new to marine/reef aquariums so I don't have any experience in coral photography, but that would be the first thing I would try.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:50 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

Try changing your white balance. See if it has a "K" setting for kelvin colour temp.

You can also play with the colour saturation right on the camera.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:50 PM

Thanks alot for the advice I will try both suggestions .il let you know how it turns out
Old 01-05-2017, 10:51 PM

warriorcookie is on a distinguished road

does your camera support RAW file formats?

If so use it, then adjust the color balance after the fact with a program like photoshop. I've never found the color balance build into most camera's to go high enough.

You can also get yellow, orange, red color filters to put over the lense. Playing with those different colors and combinations of might get you accurate looking pictures.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorcookie View Post
does your camera support RAW file formats?

If so use it, then adjust the color balance after the fact with a program like photoshop. I've never found the color balance build into most camera's to go high enough.

You can also get yellow, orange, red color filters to put over the lense. Playing with those different colors and combinations of might get you accurate looking pictures.
I just tried adjusting within the camera and it still doesn't pick up the colors properly. It does support raw I'm gonna give that a try, never done it before il have to read the manual.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:44 AM

duncangweller is on a distinguished road

RAW is a lossless file format (meaning there is no compression such as in JPEG which slightly reduces overall image quality) allowing you to edit your images in post production to get the image you want.

You select RAW in the picture quality menu in the settings in camera.

You'll need some editing software (like Photoshop) in order to process RAW images. Once open in an editing program, you can adjust the exposure and white balance, amongst other things to get the right balance for your images.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:14 AM

Dendromad is on a distinguished road

Put the camera in manual mode and take a photo of something white under the blue lights. Fill as much of the photo with the white as possible. Then go to white balance under menu settings and select set custom white balance and pick the photo you took. Go back to regular screen and press the Q button then go to AWB on the panel on the back and select the custom white balance button, two triangles with a spot in between, should be on the far left and that should help.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendromad View Post
Put the camera in manual mode and take a photo of something white under the blue lights. Fill as much of the photo with the white as possible. Then go to white balance under menu settings and select set custom white balance and pick the photo you took. Go back to regular screen and press the Q button then go to AWB on the panel on the back and select the custom white balance button, two triangles with a spot in between, should be on the far left and that should help.
Great! Thanks for the help will try it out
Old 01-06-2017, 03:42 PM

Dendromad is on a distinguished road

Sorry meant that it should be on the far right. It is on my T4i