Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-27-2011, 11:30 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

I'd probably also still need a pump to drain the mixing chamber I think. The drain that was plumbed in to the wall is about 9 inches off the ground.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:46 PM

So, Dave is my hero.

I think this is pretty much exactly what I'm gonna end up building, with only a couple of tiny modifications to account for the limited access I have to the cabinet and the placement of drains. I can't wait to see this thing turn into reality. This sump is so damn cool I wish I didn't have to hide it in a cabinet.

I'm actually giddy.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:18 PM

The stand has been completed and delivered to Red Coral. Waiting on the sump before we install it, as the stand will need to be lifted over the sump.

Also sorted out the ventilation issues in the space above the tank, an exhaust fan was added to the cavity where the lights will be that vents directly outside. This will hopefully help deal with humidity issues as well. It's currently being wired to a switch on the wall that will have a built in timer, and will run during the hours that the MH are on. I would have preferred for it to be controlled by the controller, but for it to pass code it needs to be wired in to the house.

They've also run an ethernet connection to the aquarium cabinet. I want the Neptune Apex system, and this will allow me to keep all wires contained.

Whole tank shot (with the bath tub for the master bedroom on the floor behind):

and the world's most embarrassing picture of me with the stand. Have another drink Adam... It's almost exactly as long as I am tall (but it was sitting on a pallet so it looks taller)
Old 06-28-2011, 04:39 AM

Delivery of the stand and the sump happened today. I could barely concentrate at work thinking about it all day.

Here's some pics. For various reasons, we ended up needing to go with a sump design that was closer to my original version, but modified in ways that make it much, much better. One thing is for sure, this sump is a beast, it's bigger than most people's aquariums! When it's running it will hold over 100 gallons of water.

The sump is big enough that it needed to be in place with the stand lowered on top of it. Thankfully everything fit pretty much perfectly.

The highest water level in the sump when it's running will be the skimmer chamber, at 18 inches deep (the skimmer will be sitting on a 9 inch stand), then it diverts in to two chambers, a smaller refugium area where I'll culture macro algae for my tangs/grow frags, and the main water change chamber (17 inches deep). Then it exits the water change chamber in to the return area, where the lowest water level will be about 15.5 inches deep. When I want to do a water change, I'll divert the water from entering the skimmer chamber, in to the back of the return chamber, It basically isolates the entire sump from the main tank, but since the water level in the skimmer chamber will never change it will just run on still water while I empty and refill the water change chamber. This design leaves plenty of room for reactors (like, tons of room), and I'll probably still have enough room next to the tank for a single reactor if I want it.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:46 PM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

Wow....nice planning and great work so far.

I probably shouldnt say this but the only thing I can see that would bug me with the sump is that it looks like it will be a real pain working in there because its so high.

The other thing is I think you will need more light than 3x250w and PC lighting...especially if you want some colourful SPS.

Amazing work and planning so far though.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:08 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Things are starting to come together nicely on this build Adam..... So when is the possession date for the house?.... Seems like you've been building it forever
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 06-28-2011, 03:17 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Wow great looking build! I especially like how your builder is building all the infrastructure for you! :-D I need a new house..

Old 06-28-2011, 04:07 PM

DisneyCoralReef is on a distinguished road

Waw! looking forwards to seeing how this is going to finish. Going to be amazing to see it finished.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefermadness View Post
Wow....nice planning and great work so far.

I probably shouldnt say this but the only thing I can see that would bug me with the sump is that it looks like it will be a real pain working in there because its so high.

The other thing is I think you will need more light than 3x250w and PC lighting...especially if you want some colourful SPS.

Amazing work and planning so far though.
Yah, I was a little concerned about that, but all the major stuff is right up at the front, and the hardest to reach areas will only need love once every few months. Since this design pretty much automates water changes, I'm basically trading one weekly pain in the butt for a slightly less convenient cabinet. Everything will still fit inside, and I'll still be able to reach everything, which is what matters.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
Things are starting to come together nicely on this build Adam..... So when is the possession date for the house?.... Seems like you've been building it forever
Ha! It was supposed to be August 8th. As you can see from the pictures, that's not going to happen. They've pushed the completion date back a couple of times, most recently to a vague sounding 'Before Christmas'.

We still haven't signed off on the design of the stairs, but I've been told that drywall is for sure happening this week.