Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 01-25-2015, 11:05 PM

Fishy! is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone still using par 38 bulbs?

I am still struggling to find a budget friendly led option for my 12x12 footprint tank. Par 38 bulbs seem to be a powerful, cheap choice, but I can't find a whole lot of threads here on can reef that are newer than a year old. Is there a reason they have fallen out of popularity? Or maybe they never were? Opinions?
Old 01-26-2015, 12:39 AM

newbie2 is on a distinguished road

I don't know much about them but check out fragbox, on their site it says they use them for their frag tanks. I think they sell some ontheir site as well.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:08 AM

chef is on a distinguished road

Id b interested in some feedback as well. Thinking about putting a fragbox halo on my biocube14. I saw them in action at an Ontario fragfest. Looked awesome! If they are dimmable then I'm likely sold.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:50 AM

freeze is on a distinguished road

From what I have read and heard about all par38 bulbs, they can be dimmed with a standard house dimmer as they use a standard socket.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:54 AM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Not all models were dimmable, but all the newer ones should be. I bought 4 of the rapid led ones and they are great.

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/PAR38/

They call it addiction for a reason...

Last edited by FishyFishy!; 01-26-2015 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:50 PM

Well I picked up a halo par 38 from a local reefer today. Set it up on the tank and wow! Talk about shimmer! I will defineately have to keep the tank topped off to avoid havin a seisure lol. I find it quite blue but I'm sure it's just that I'm not used to it. I snapped a before and after.
http://imgur.com/a/xTVXW
It's actually not quite as blue as it shows on my iPhone but a drastic change none the less.
I have to say it doesn't seem as bright even as the single 8w t5 that came in the stock hood, but I'm guessing that's cause it's more concentrated? Less light spillage?
Will leave it on for a while and see how it goes. I will report back.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:59 PM

Also. The light I got is not dimmable with the Lurton dimmer I just bought from Home Depot. It just flashes when I move it from full power. The dimmer is supposed to be for cfl&led lights. Could be the wrong dimmer or could be an older model bulb. Either way on my 12.5x12.5x22" deep tank I don't think it needs to be dimmed.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:04 AM
The Don

Galizio is on a distinguished road

I had a par 38 on my biocube 14 and was awesome, for zoas and euphylia, apperantly they cover a12x12 area and 28" deep, I think mine are light box brand.... Have 2 only used one on biocube... Saw some biocube 29 with 2... Used to keep about 10-12" above water level with a goose neck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2015, 02:03 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy! View Post
Also. The light I got is not dimmable with the Lurton dimmer I just bought from Home Depot. It just flashes when I move it from full power. The dimmer is supposed to be for cfl&led lights. Could be the wrong dimmer or could be an older model bulb. Either way on my 12.5x12.5x22" deep tank I don't think it needs to be dimmed.
Is the Lutron dimmer an in wall type that fits into a normal electrical box? If so, pull it back out & check it for a small adjustment screw, usually at the top. Some have them, some don't but worth a look see & if it's there, tweaking it may get the LED to dim properly, but only if it is a dimmable PAR38 LED. If you can't dim it, you can raise it a little higher if you see signs of coral getting burned.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:23 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Here's a Lutron dimmer with dimming 'range' control. There's a separate dial behind the faceplate that is used to fine tune how the dimmer works with a given lamp. Slightly different than the one I alluded to with a small adjustment screw at the top.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ary/032365.pdf