Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-26-2015, 03:09 PM

theokie is on a distinguished road
Default Should I get the Phosphurous Checker?

Should I be getting the Hanna Phosphorus Checker? Now that I'm using LaCl more regularly, on a doser, my Phosphate checker consistently reads 0ppm. Is it worth it to get the Phosphorus Checker that will read down to ppb? Or should I just alter my dose so that I can get a detectable reading on my current checker and just adjust my maintenance dose around so that it reads 1ppm just so I know that I'm not over doing it?

This is for my SPS system, I've recently started to move all of my LPS out of it and about 80% have been moved over to the new LPS system. As I'm attempting to see if I will have better success by no longer trying to balance a mixed reef.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:12 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

My 2 cents is that the phosphorous checked isn't worth the plastic it's made from. Unless you're using analytical lab methods (which include regularly washing your cuvettes in hydrochloric acid), its results are no more reliable than looking out your window and trying to guess the days temperature.

You're way better off looking at cues your tank is giving you, such as the rate film algae grows to get a sense of what's going on with phosphate in your system
Old 01-27-2015, 12:30 AM

Jordon is on a distinguished road

I really like mine. I rather not wait until A;age takes hold if i'm doing regular testing anyways. Knowing its on its way up via the checker before a visual cue is much better IMO.

I recommend it.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:10 AM

tytown is on a distinguished road

Just started measuring with Hanna ULR unit but have trouble getting the same reading twice. I've almost gone through a pack of reagent performing multiple measurements between my fresh, mix, and tank water. For example, tank readings were 57, 107, 35 (0.17, 0.32, 0.10 ppm), so I'm pretty much calling BS on this unit unless I'm doing something completely wrong... It's supposed to accurate to +-5% of its range so that's +-10 PPb or 0.03 ppm.
Does anyone get consistent readings close to the units rated accuracy???
Old 02-09-2015, 04:45 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

There's been a number of posts on this topic lately, but they're hard to find as the spelling between phosphate and phosphorus is all mixed up

I like my Hanna HI 713 phosphate tester, but it takes some getting used to
Old 02-09-2015, 05:17 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I love mine, wouldn't use anything else. Then again, I tell the temp by looking out the window
Old 02-09-2015, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytown View Post
Just started measuring with Hanna ULR unit but have trouble getting the same reading twice. I've almost gone through a pack of reagent performing multiple measurements between my fresh, mix, and tank water. For example, tank readings were 57, 107, 35 (0.17, 0.32, 0.10 ppm), so I'm pretty much calling BS on this unit unless I'm doing something completely wrong... It's supposed to accurate to +-5% of its range so that's +-10 PPb or 0.03 ppm.
Does anyone get consistent readings close to the units rated accuracy???
nope. Never once. Thought it was me, then I looked in to it. Testing at that resolution outside of an analytical lab is about as accurate as guessing your level by throwing darts at chart.

To be consistent at that sensitivity, you'd need to be measuring the volume of your sample with a micro-pipette, using a fresh pipette every time you collected the sample. You'd also need to be getting the exact same amount of reagent out of the powder pillow every single time (which you never are). You'd also need to be washing your sample cuvette in hydrochloric acid every couple of tests, only ever rinsing the cuvette out in the purest of DI/distilled water, and doing dummy tests with DI/distilled water before each test, as tiny amounts of phosphate can bind to the glass.

You'd also need to be collecting your samples from the exact same spot, at the exact same time, after following the exact same routine. Even dipping your hand in to the water at the time you collect the sample could throw off the results enough to make the number meaningless.

It's why I prefer the regular PO4 kit. It's not as sensitive, and the numbers still need to be viewed as relative rather than absolutes, but at least it's more consistent from reading to reading and gives you a better sense of the actual trend in your tank. When one result is 0.10 and the next one 5 minutes later is 0.32, you have spent 15 minutes obtaining no useful information.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:24 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I use the regular unit, and for 4 years I consistently got 0ppm. Which was what I wanted to see. Good enough for me. I have an Elos kit, I can't tell if it's 0.01, 0.1, 42.8, etc. Might be my eyes
Old 02-09-2015, 05:27 AM

+1. I use the regular unit as well. It's the ULR unit that I think is better suited as a pez dispenser.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:31 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
+1. I use the regular unit as well. It's the ULR unit that I think is better suited as a pez dispenser.
Nah. I've got a Batman pez dispenser, way better!