Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-11-2015, 03:28 PM

Masonjames is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
Not really poking to reduce nitrates just looking to understand where they are comming from. If issue did arise in future I would know the root.

Yes the rock bin is the likely source.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:28 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Not really poking to reduce nitrates just looking to understand where they are comming from. If issue did arise in future I would know the root. I know the tank is new. Just not recently started zeo,
The tank was up running for over a year. Then transferred entirely to my house. The rock bin (rubbermaid) did split while setting up tank leaving rock out of water for a day.
Has the nitrate been increasing or decreasing since you set it back up? I asked you before if there was detritus settling in the rocks - that could be the cause. You don't need carbon dosing to achieve "0" nitrate and phosphate, so you're wise to be looking for the cause/difference between this tank and your other one.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I asked you before if there was detritus settling in the rocks - that could be the cause.
Of coarse detritus would settle there
Old 02-11-2015, 03:48 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Has the nitrate been increasing or decreasing since you set it back up? I asked you before if there was detritus settling in the rocks - that could be the cause. You don't need carbon dosing to achieve "0" nitrate and phosphate, so you're wise to be looking for the cause/difference between this tank and your other one.
Nitrates have been steady, no noticeable fluctuations, I did add a healthy size cuc to the rock bin to see if that helped with detritus.
And yes just trying to find the difference from other tanks as rock payment is only difference.
Currently using a red sea test kit. But I'll get a salifert to check also. I have had the red sea for 6/8 months and know they break down once opened
Old 02-11-2015, 04:00 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
No Denny, it never means "new salt water". Never. It is improper terminology. Same with "acidic acid". Isn't all acid acidic?? If not, I guess I'm sadly mistaken. I will give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume your understanding is correct, but your spelling is incorrect. I corrected the OP's terminology so he can correctly present his questions in the future (learning is a good thing), then you chime in somehow defending the improper terminology. When someone like you (a frequent poster/LFS employee) starts spouting improper terminology it really degrades the conversation.

Anyway, sorry Proteus I digress now, but hopefully this is clear to you.

well i supposed you MUST be right then lol , so if he posted it and i also posted it , while it was only you who corrected it....i guess were both wrong and i just got lucky on my guess lol

i do like coincidences but at the same time it doesn't take much googling to figure out both terms are used quite often....try it out ....i can post them if you like? there must be thousandsssssssss of references lol of course they are all just incorrect too lol

and funny enough something that is so obvious could not be found in the common dictionary so arnt we really just making things up now?

anyway i dont see your argument ( which is ?), i was simply saying that what he meant was new salt water.............i figured this was common knowledge to most reefers but here we are i guess lol
Old 02-11-2015, 04:16 PM

Actually I think the root source of your nitrates is from either your correct and/or incorrect terminology of the abbreviation NSW.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:27 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonjames View Post
Actually I think the root source of your nitrates is from either your correct and/or incorrect terminology of the abbreviation NSW.
haha that was my guess too , or it could be he has no goby
Old 02-11-2015, 05:56 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Nitrates have been steady, no noticeable fluctuations, I did add a healthy size cuc to the rock bin to see if that helped with detritus.
And yes just trying to find the difference from other tanks as rock payment is only difference.
Currently using a red sea test kit. But I'll get a salifert to check also. I have had the red sea for 6/8 months and know they break down once opened
Most CUC will not consume detritus. Do you do weekly water changes or bi-weekly filter sock changes? If so, you could turkey baste the rock at these times and help to keep it cleaner. Or if it becomes a problem you could remove the rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
well i supposed you MUST be right then
Yes. Thank you for admitting this - though it's not about who is correct, rather which is correct.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:04 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Most CUC will not consume detritus. Do you do weekly water changes or bi-weekly filter sock changes? If so, you could turkey baste the rock at these times and help to keep it cleaner. Or if it becomes a problem you could remove the rock.
I change filter socks every three days and biweekly water change, the rock has alot of upward flow
Old 02-11-2015, 06:05 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:

Yes. Thank you for admitting this - though it's not about who is correct, rather which is correct.
lol tell that to my wife lol