Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 02-14-2012, 04:05 PM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

How big is your tank? Personally I started with far fewer pellets than is recommended anticipating I would have to add more but I think it is working perfect as is so will leave it alone.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:13 PM

claymax is on a distinguished road

tank is 28 plus around 7 gallons for the sump, juuust a bit smaller than yours. i would have all the proper valves in place to control flow into the reactor and skimmer, (skimmer input is going to be low) and yes ill be adding biopellets very slowly and in very small quantities. some might say that biopellets would be overkill for a tank this size but id like to get some hands on learning done before i try it on a big tank.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:38 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

I am currently running a nextreef reactor, for what its worth I like that this reactor is built for bio-pellets(no foam, larger inlet and out, and machine drilled bottom plate specially designed for pellets.) One thing I don't like about these reactor is the use of thumb screws to remove the lid. I know some can argue it will only be unscrewed every 3-6 month and for the most part it is true but I fricken hate it. So move onto the 2 screw top reactors which I also use. TLF is a cheaper alternative, easy to use but the built quality lacks a bit of refinement. Vertex has so far been an excellent product, very user friendly, comes with ball valve for ease of controll. However I don't like how the inlet and outlet are 180 degrees oppsite of each other but some 90 degrees elbow will fix that.

Now new from reef dynamic is the biopellet reactor which will give you the ability to not only adjust the flow rate through the reactor and keep you pellets thumbling at a good rate. Little on the rich side but it is definitely a good design with ultimate controll.( I haven't personally used one yet but am planning to get one.)

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 02-14-2012, 04:42 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfish55 View Post
You mean as in run it thru the pellet reactor and the output direct into the skimmer? The only problem I believe that creates is the flow to keep the pellets tumbling may be too much flow, as I mentioned previous, I think some of the problems people are having with the pellets is a result of too much flow ( only my opinion, not based on any actual scientific study) but I must have been on to something as I have been running my recirc reactor for quite some time and now there is companies comming out with recirc models for exactly that reason, I can controll the amount of pellet tumble independent of the dose rate, if I can get some pics up hopefully it will make sense, kinda hard to explain it.
I've actually switched to VSV dosing from pellets because with pellets it's hard to adjust the amount of flow through the reactor without disrupting the function of the fluidized reactor. I've seen too many instances of people using pellets and reducing their params to zero, and then continuing to run pellets ageessively. IMO, this is the cause of so many pellet related crashes.

So as stated above, recirc style is the route I'd go. You can easily convert any reactor to recirc with a few pieces of tubing and some valves.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:56 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

There are a bunch of people, myself included, who run GFO with bioPellets. For me the biopellets remove nitrates just fine, and do an OK job with phosphates but not stellar. I supplement the phosphate removal by running GFO as well. I use two Vertex UF-20 reactors for pellets and a TLF 150 for GFO. Two years running now.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:02 PM

kobelka is on a distinguished road

@ the Grizz,
I am going to put a tlf 150 with biopellets online and wondered if you could post a quick explanation of the mod you have done to make it work well?
Thanks
Old 02-14-2012, 05:10 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobelka View Post
@ the Grizz,
I am going to put a tlf 150 with biopellets online and wondered if you could post a quick explanation of the mod you have done to make it work well?
Thanks
It a simple round plastic mesh that I found at Michleas, they are about 4" round with small square holes. Take out the foam and replace it with 2 of these mesh circles, bottom and top where the foam should be ( you have to cut them to fit ). And for flow for an example: in my NextReef MR1 recommended flow was 1200 gph but it was not enough for 1000 ml of pellets so I have a 2500 gph pump feeding it. I believe I used a MJ1200 on my TLF and had a great tumble and never had it clog on me.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 02-14-2012, 05:39 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobelka View Post
@ the Grizz,
Thanks
Get rid of the foam and get the kit to modify your reactor here:
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/tf...n+Reactor.html
or mesh from Michaels will work too, I just hate the fake flower smell in that place.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 02-14-2012, 06:19 PM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

+1 on the kit if you're using a TLF. My TLF 500 started clumping up after a year so i modded it by taking out the bottom plate, and putting the downspout against the side so that the pellets would "roll" inside the reactor. Works great. Here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9oOnUT5mHM
Old 02-14-2012, 06:48 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Anyone have experience with the BRS reactor or similar type they can share?
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...t-reactor.html