Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Oceanic Corals

Old 07-16-2010, 11:49 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

When are we going to see some results on how the SWC units actually skim compared to the BMs? That's my main concern!
Old 07-16-2010, 11:54 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I haven't seen any documentation from SWC on their product but I'd like to think that it would be a LOT better than the piece of toilet paper in 'chinglish' that I got with my BM
Haha, I laughed so hard from reading my BM doser instructions something about shoving the tubing into the sun hole and then rotating. Still very happy with the overall product though.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:21 AM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palytoxinhallucinations View Post
My SWC 160 cone arrived last week and this ^ along with many positive reviews and the fact that at least some of the $ will stay in canada, was the reason I chose the SWC over the others I was considering (bubble mag-china HQ, price changing deuchery, vertexIN-large footprint were the other reasons). Every little part is readily available for the swcs, and Jayson was great about answering the questions I had for him (would have just bought it from Ian who's great to deal with, if I knew a couple weeks ago he was picking them up...no free biobeads for me...)
Anyway in the end it was an easy choice and for what it's worth I got the new model with the white bubble plate and the box still says made in china, here's a pic

Exactly. Same reasons for me. Been friends with Jayson for 10yrs. Purchased lots from him and never had a problem. Local business support for me, although 200km away. As Canadian as it can get.
Great to see someone else selling the products, besides American vendors.

Last edited by Doug; 07-17-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
When are we going to see some results on how the SWC units actually skim compared to the BMs? That's my main concern!
With Ian,s permission. We posted a link for some reviews, if thats of any help to you. Not comparison with any other products though, except for what I and the others have used or seen in action.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanicCorals-Ian- View Post
We are starting this thread to showcase the new SWC skimmers as we are now the western retailer for the product line. We are going to post results on a head to head comparison with Bubble Magus to review the results....... I will be adding the whole line of SWC skimmer to the website over the next two to three days....

Stay tuned!
Doug, I read the threads plus many more but this thread was started to show actual results from Ian on the SWC vs BM and I'm really interested in seeing the results. I need a skimmer so I can finish setting up my new sump and the the new tank going. I was going to get a BM NAC7 but now it seems like SWC is the new band wagon so I want to see if it's worth the extra money or not. From what I've read so far the build quality is better but I'm not sure on performance.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:47 AM

George is on a distinguished road

How do you compare the performance of 2 skimmers? By the amount of skim-mate they produce? No! By the color of skim-mate? No! By the smell of skim-mate? No! By some physical factors? No!
I would love to have some Feldman & Maers type study of the skimmers. Show me some numbers!

Last edited by George; 07-17-2010 at 04:51 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:01 AM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
How do you compare the performance of 2 skimmers? By the amount of skim-mate they produce? No! By the color of skim-mate? No! By the smell of skim-mate? No! By some physical factors? No!
I would love to have some Feldman & Maers type study of the skimmers. Show me some numbers!
Ask and ye shall receive Try these for some methods:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010...chterm=skimmer

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/2/aafeature

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/1/aafeature2
Old 07-17-2010, 03:01 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

I have a SWC 250 cone skimmer and while I don't know much about Bubble Magus skimmers I know a few people with Bubble King skimmers and my SWC skimmer pulls out just as much skimmate if not more then their bubble kings do, so IMO I'd say that SWC skimmers are excellent skimmers

Pic.'s speak volumes and this is four days worth of skimmate in my SWC 250 cone collection cup:

Old 07-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
I have a SWC 250 cone skimmer and while I don't know much about Bubble Magus skimmers I know a few people with Bubble King skimmers and my SWC skimmer pulls out just as much skimmate if not more then their bubble kings do, so IMO I'd say that SWC skimmers are excellent skimmers

Pic.'s speak volumes and this is four days worth of skimmate in my SWC 250 cone collection cup:

Holy crap!!

Judging by other posts on Canreef, we now have the attention of the competitors running this comparison! Proof is in the NOG and the overall construction of the equipment. We chose BM to compare to as the SWC are comparably priced; however, they are not comparable quality.

We are not going to offer demos on the SWC skimmers but instead offer this thread as an avenue for owners to post their opinions good or bad about both manufacturers.....

We sell BM and we sell lots of it, we also sell Reef Octopus and now SWC, out these three brands of Skimmers the SWC and "Super" Reef Octopus are hands down better quality with better pumps and overall design.

We are going to start a trade in promotion for those looking to exchange their BM for an SWC, more details to come!
Old 07-17-2010, 06:48 PM

So I guess the change of heart to post comparison results between the two brands means performance wise the brands are about equal just a difference in cone quality?