Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 11-23-2016, 12:47 PM

coralor is on a distinguished road
Default Help with ATI/Kessil setup

I'm hoping someone out there has some advice for me please as I'm considering getting a new custom peninsula tank build that I'd like to use my existing Kessil 160's on as well as integrate a new ATI system with it.
The tank's dimensions will be 54" L x 34" W and 22" H. That's not set in stone yet, (or glass, lol but just what I'm considering at the moment.
I'd like to use an ATI Sunpower in conjunction with the Kessils so am thinking either one 48" x 8 bulb ATI down the middle (which is flanked by 4 Kessils) or two 48" x 4 bulb ATI's with the 4 Kessils in the middle.
The tank will have a mix of corals in it but will be predominantly SPS.
Open to suggestions and/or other ideas if anyone has any?
Old 11-23-2016, 11:32 PM

SpongeAl is on a distinguished road

How about 8 x 48" ATI at the back and 4 Kessil upfront, pointed rearward.

Since the Kessil is so directional, you will get the best colours pointing them towards the back of the tank.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:39 AM

Thank you So much for responding, but I don't feel that setup would be the best option because it is a peninsula style tank so is viewed on both long sides. That's why I was thinking to have the one type of light in the middle and the other flanking it's sides.
I already have a similar setup with a Maxspect Razor in the middle, then on each side 2 kessil 160's, and on the outside of all that 2 Aquatic life 2 x bulb fixtures.
It's a bit messy looking altogether but works really well with one other exception. The Maxspect and Kessils run on programs that retain their brains even if the power glitches, whereas the T5's don't. Plus the new tank will be a foot longer at least so I need longer T5's anyway ...
I haven't decided 100% yet on the new build's dimensions because I want to work out things like the lighting first.
Next thing is the overflow and returns and power heads)
Old 11-25-2016, 01:11 AM

Right, you did say that.

In that case I would put the T5 in the middle and the Kessils around the perimeter pointed inwards, for the same reasons stated before, this will utilize the colour from the Kessil the best.

I think the T5 will still do a good enough job reducing shadows being in the middle.

If it was all about growth, I would probably put the T5 on the outside, but for a display tank, LED goes around the perimeter, IMO.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:12 AM

I do like the T5's in the middle idea better. Especially too because one 48" ATI 8x bulb is much cheaper than two 4 bulb fixtures. Thank you!
Hoping a 48" ATI will be sufficiently long enough for a 54" L tank with a narrow overflow on the 34" wall end. From what I've read that should be plenty. Opinions anyone?
To make the tank any longer (ie and use a 60" ATI) makes the tank kind of long for where it will be sitting.
And for help with the over flow, returns and power head positioning should I be starting another thread? I have some ideas and questions based on my own experiences I would appreciate bouncing off someone. Please😊
Old 11-25-2016, 02:35 AM

48" bulb on a 54" tank is absolutely fine IMO.

It's only 3" on either side, some of which could be occupied by the perimeter of your hood if you are building one, so its nice to have a little space.

You could also consider putting the Kessils closer to the ends, in the 4 corners pointed towards center a bit, that way you get a bit of LED on that short end wall. See drawing below.

Ya I would start another thread like a build journal, that's what I'm doing, then you can discuss the multiple topics in one thread easier, although certain things might get more exposure in specific threads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kes.jpg (15.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 11-25-2016, 02:43 AM

Stinktooth is on a distinguished road

My peninsula tank was 72"L x 28"w x 18"h.
48" ati dimmable was plenty at 10" above the water. It was offset so it was equal distance from the overflow to the opposite end. It was a sps tank with mostly acros.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:02 AM

That's what I'll do then. Thanks so much) everyone!!
Hmmm....maybe I will make the tank 58" long instead of 54". Didn't realize the 48" would give that much light.😎
Old 11-27-2016, 02:19 PM

xlzerolx is on a distinguished road

Why not do what Bulk reef supply did with their BRS 160 but replace the ap700 with whichever kessil you plan on using? In my opinion with kessils\t5 you do not need the expensive ati fixture. Also 8 bulbs is waaaaaay to much light for a tank that is only 22" high you will burn/ bleach your corals in my opinion.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:31 PM

Thank you, and I do like that idea but am concerned that because the tank is so wide (34") that I might not have enough coverage on the sides.
Also, I am admittedly very new to the retrofit idea. Ideally I wanted programmable T5's. Can that be done with the retro kits somehow without breaking the bank?