Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 09-03-2014, 05:46 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road
Default Isn't it wonderful when you have to pay for another's mistake?!

Well over the long weekend, I got into an accident:

Story:
I was on EB glenmore and was behind a truck, preparing to take the exit to Deefoot SB. All off a sudden, a bloody SUV cut off the truck infront of me and the truck had to come to a dead stop. As soon as I realized that, I stomped on the break too but well, I ended up rear ending the truck, deployed the airbag. Luckily, no one was hurt other than my friend on the passenger sit who got his right hand scratched due to the airbag. Nothing happened to the suv and it didn't even bother to stop to damage was caused due to his/her ignorant driving.

The lady who was driving the pickup was really nice and cooperated extremely well; she even agreed that I wasn't responsible to the whole incident (despite being "technically" responsible; once again, thank you suv) and as a result (and out of the good heart of the police officer), I didn't get any ticket.

P.S. I wasn't over speeding, had my eyes on the road, maintained enough distance but not "enough" to come to a dead stop in a sec and I reacted asap.

How I am paying for this incident:

Well since my car only worth $2000, I didn't bother taking the comprehensive for my car; just 3rd party liability. So the insurance is going to cover the dent (nothing major) to the metal bumper of the F150 (2014 model). On the other hand, my car is a complete wreck and I will have to throw it away. It was towed to the municipal lot and have been sitting there since 30th evening, waiting for the insurance company to write it off. But since the insurance won't cover anything related to the car, I have to pay off the towing bill + the storage fee and IT IS GETTING ACCUMULATED EVERYDAY at $28/hr! The adjusted started working on the case since yesterday due to long weekend and I am already at $220+. I didn't even know about the "storage fee". Towing fee is understandable. Now I am trying to reach the adjusted as soon as possible so that I can just throw away the car to the junk so that I don't have to pay $28/day for storing a wasted car but no luck yet. I thought about not claiming the vehicle but I will need the registration plate to cancel the registration so I will have to claim it no matter what.

With no job and eating up my savings, this incident just made it worse. But I strongly believe in karma and it will get to that suv which is the primary cause of all these problems I am facing.

If anyone has any insight, please share

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 09-03-2014, 05:58 PM

kamloops_reefer is on a distinguished road

I'm sure you can call the impound yard and tell them you want to forfeit your car to them to exempt you from any charges of towing / storing.

if not - best pay right away and find someone steel scrap guy who will pick up your car for free.

Perhaps Alberta is different (like many things) but if you rear end someone, your fault 100%. which makes sense, because you have little to no control of avoiding someone rear ending you, but you have more control of avoiding whats in front of you. You have to be prepared that a vehicle in front of you, can stop a lot faster than you as well as most people don't react immediately, so leave some space!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamloops_reefer View Post
I'm sure you can call the impound yard and tell them you want to forfeit your car to them to exempt you from any charges of towing / storing.

if not - best pay right away and find someone steel scrap guy who will pick up your car for free.

Perhaps Alberta is different (like many things) but if you rear end someone, your fault 100%. which makes sense, because you have little to no control of avoiding someone rear ending you, but you have more control of avoiding whats in front of you. You have to be prepared that a vehicle in front of you, can stop a lot faster than you as well as most people don't react immediately, so leave some space!
That's the problem, I can't forfeit it since I will need the registration plate to cancel the registration and to get that, I will have to pay off the due. And I cant do that until the insurance write it off.

Yah I am at 100% fault over here and I am not arguing about that. It's just that this wouldn't have happened if that bloody suv didn't cut off the truck infront of me. And like I said, I did have enough space; just not enough to come to dead stop from 80 on a highway within a sec. And on that road, even if I try to maintain a good enough space, someone will get in between eventually; especially during heavy traffic.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:24 PM

BuschWacker is on a distinguished road

Situations like this, are the reason I bought a dash cam this summer. I see way to many people driving like a-holes everyday, it's only a matter of time before an accident happens. This way I'll at least have a complete record of any incidents that happen. You would have caught the guy on camera that made the unsafe lane change, complete with license plate, and been able to submit that to police. Money well spent in my mind.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:33 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Not to sound unsympathetic but it's your responsibility to leave enough room between yourself and the vehicle in front of you to react and stop in the event of an emergency. Now if the truck in front of you had hit the SUV that made an unsafe lane change in front of it then that truck driver might have a case. But you simply hit the person in front of you who had to stop quickly. So that one is sadly your fault

North Americans really don't know how to drive and I have seen very few that leave enough room between themselves and the vehicle in front. I remember being tailgated in my old Porsche by people in SUVs and trucks etc. if I had to brake hard due to some circumstance there was no way they were going to stop as quickly as I could. I would often then be forced to slow down significantly due to their dangerous driving or would sometimes brake check them to make a point (also not really safe but hopefully woke them up a bit).
Old 09-03-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuschWacker View Post
Situations like this, are the reason I bought a dash cam this summer. I see way to many people driving like a-holes everyday, it's only a matter of time before an accident happens. This way I'll at least have a complete record of any incidents that happen. You would have caught the guy on camera that made the unsafe lane change, complete with license plate, and been able to submit that to police. Money well spent in my mind.
Thanks for the idea. I will think about that when I buy another car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post
Not to sound unsympathetic but it's your responsibility to leave enough room between yourself and the vehicle in front of you to react and stop in the event of an emergency. Now if the truck in front of you had hit the SUV that made an unsafe lane change in front of it then that truck driver might have a case. But you simply hit the person in front of you who had to stop quickly. So that one is sadly your fault

North Americans really don't know how to drive and I have seen very few that leave enough room between themselves and the vehicle in front. I remember being tailgated in my old Porsche by people in SUVs and trucks etc. if I had to brake hard due to some circumstance there was no way they were going to stop as quickly as I could. I would often then be forced to slow down significantly due to their dangerous driving or would sometimes brake check them to make a point (also not really safe but hopefully woke them up a bit).
I absolutely agree, it is my fault. Well a lesson learned the hard way It was all so quick. Despite having 2 car lengths, I just couldn't stopped. I should have had more space and I am not trying to justify that I am not wrong but it was possibly the fate There were previous occasions where I kept enough distance but someone would just merge into the gap. I don't understand one thing: north americans are so cautious about every form of safety possible but when they get on the road, their nature changes. Hell, I even got flipped since I was going at speed limit in a construction zone.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:40 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

****ty deal, your fault in the end, enough about that.

To the good part! You should call some wreckers and see what you can get for the car. Once you have a price you can get them to pick it up and pay the tow company out of that. Technically you must still own the car since the insurance company hasn't paid you out for it yet?

Glad no one got hurt!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
****ty deal, your fault in the end, enough about that.

To the good part! You should call some wreckers and see what you can get for the car. Once you have a price you can get them to pick it up and pay the tow company out of that. Technically you must still own the car since the insurance company hasn't paid you out for it yet?

Glad no one got hurt!
Well yah I still own it but I can't do anything until the adjuster goes to the lot and write off the vehicle; only then I can take it out and throw it away. At least, that's what I understood.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:47 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

But since you have no coverage what does the adjuster have to do with it? It's not like they are going to give you anything for it correct?
Old 09-03-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
But since you have no coverage what does the adjuster have to do with it? It's not like they are going to give you anything for it correct?
I have no idea. I don't really know the rules about this things so I am just following what the insurance company said. Don't know why but the adjusted said he will be going to the lot to see the car and have it written off. And nop, the insurance won't give a penny for the car.