Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 07-15-2014, 11:32 PM

carnut is on a distinguished road
Default GPS model

Anyone using a newer gps unit they would recommend. No I do not have smart phone nor do I want one. Plus this will be for US use.

Thanks

tank 2 300 gallon mixed reef. 3 evergrow It5080, skimmer bubble king
Old 07-16-2014, 12:06 AM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

I have a tomtom with lifetime traffic and maps.
Love it. Use it for going to the usa all the time where id want to keep my phone off.
We use garmins at work and just about every employee wants to throw those things out the window.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:33 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

I'm on my second Garmin GPS unit (only because the first didn't have free lifetime map updates) and love them. I find them very intuitive and easy to navigate and haven't been let down in the 3 years I've been using them (usually everyday for work). The maps even have brand new areas that are still being developed in them while my Dad's TomTom and both of our factory GPS units don't even have the street we live on that was developed 3 years ago. Really though the best thing to do is go down to Best Buy or the like were they have them all on display and find out which models you find the easiest to use as that is the key. I also recommend the 5" screen models. As a hint when inputting your home address use a place near you, thieves are stealing cars with GPS units in them because they know you're not home and hitting the home button on the GPS unit and then go rob your house.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:43 AM

carnut is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Problem is the big box stores are not carrying many any more and the units they do have are not on or out for display. I keep hearing just use your phone and google maps.

I talk on the phone at work getting that cell just takes work home.

tank 2 300 gallon mixed reef. 3 evergrow It5080, skimmer bubble king
Old 07-16-2014, 02:17 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

TomTom or Garmin GPS either one will do the job if you want bells and whistles you will be looking at $500-700 dollars if you want basic your looking at $150-250 dollars.

Usually both offer free downloads or upgrades of maps from the net plus both are relatively easy to use
Old 07-16-2014, 02:36 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I know you said no smart phone.. But one option is to get an old/used smart phone (with GPS) and install a stand alone nav app with built in maps. You can use GPS on your smart phone without using any cellular data. This is what I do when I'm in the US. I use Garmin's Navigon app for iPhone which has it's own maps so I don't have to use any cellular or wifi data while using the GPS app.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:39 AM

The added bonus is that you can also use your smart phone as a portable web browser by enabling wifi whenever you want. Plus you can use it as a point and shoot camera. Or music player. All of these features you can use without having any cellular data plan on the smart phone :-)
Old 07-16-2014, 03:43 PM

Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
But one option is to get an old/used smart phone (with GPS) and install a stand alone nav app with built in maps.
Which nav app do you use without a data plan?

I had a Tom Tom and the screen died on it just after the warranty period expired.
Only used it 3 or 4 times.
So needless to say, I'm leery of them
67 Gallon Mixed Reef, Modular LED Lights

Send in the Clowns - Clown Fish Breeding
5 Gallon Fry Hatchery and 15 Gallon Clown Grow Out Tank
Old 07-16-2014, 04:04 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
The added bonus is that you can also use your smart phone as a portable web browser by enabling wifi whenever you want. Plus you can use it as a point and shoot camera. Or music player. All of these features you can use without having any cellular data plan on the smart phone :-)
That's pretty slick! A market for old smart phones. I still like my phone to be just that & haven't bought into any new plan other than whatever the older network (3g?) is, but this has me thinking... Although if you're going to go this route, why not simply get one of the newer, small tablets with GPS hard/software? Larger screen than an old smart phone... better for folks like me with small font reading issues. I can sort of see why few retailers stock much in the way of GPS hardware any longer, virtually all new vehicles have it built in to their audio/video systems these days and as mentioned most new smart phones have GPS as well.

I did see an ad for a new 'heads up' GPS that mounts on your dashboard & displays info on your windscreen...

Personally, I find my old Garmin Oregon 200 adequate for most situations. I originally purchased it mainly for my backcountry adventures, but it has a number of mode & profile options including hiking, road, marine. All can be customized or you can use them as is. The only thing it doesn't do is talk to you, which is fine by me. It's also a bit small, but that's because it's main purpose is for travel in the boonies, so size & weight are important. I've used it in my cars, motorbikes, bicycle & paddling. A few accessories such as a "RAM" mount & power cable to save the batteries is all I needed to purchase separately. Also had to buy the Garmin Topo Canada maps back when I purchased the unit. I think the newer ones have most of the street & highway mapping info included, the Topo is only needed for backcountry travel. For road travel in the USA I would need to buy additional map software.

Here's a screenshot of data downloaded from the Oregon 200 & imported to Google Earth. Not bad for a unit that's a few years old & no longer made...
Old 07-17-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Which nav app do you use without a data plan?
I use Garmin's iPhone Navigon app. It's essentially the GPS software found in some of their GPS units but in the iPhone. Not sure if there is an Android version or not but I would guess yes. What's nice is you have the flexibility to install whatever Province/State map you want. Right now I just have Alberta maps installed. When I travel to the US I will load up the state map. While using the app it doesn't need to constantly download map data like Google Maps. It's all pre-loaded just like a standalone GPS device.