Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 08-26-2015, 12:01 AM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Well, good luck. Certainly lots to learn,... and that is a good part of the fun. The PPL is just the license to learn. After many years and hours, you will still be learning and expanding your own limits, and your plane's. I have over 1700 hours now (all non commercial) and most of that is floats and off airport here in the mountains. And I am still learning new things incl about my plane. And of course having great fun, with a great community of pilots and like minded people.

All the best!
Old 08-26-2015, 01:58 AM

heliman206 is on a distinguished road

Awesome! It's well worth all the work and effort in the end. I just completed mine about 2 years ago at 71 hours and now working on the commercial. Personally I didn't think it was too bad and I did mine with a family of 5 and cutting back to a part time job while schooling.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:40 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

Did my first flight I was actually impressed with myself I didn't death grip the controls and didn't panic my instructor is awesome and patient

I am just interested in VFR and maybe further down the line night flying nor interest in commercial or multi

Sadly I have to learn to use my right hand a lot more as a leftie it is a tough thing to learn to use your non dominant hand for most of the tuning why is everything designed to torture us lefties......
Old 08-26-2015, 03:11 PM

Well, good news for you is that with flying you learn to fly left and right seat (later) so have to get used to flying with either hand. And with some planes controls are in opposite hands (eg tandem seaters). But it really doesn't matter, as you fly with your brain and it learns how to command your hands accordingly.

Flying lessons really are great fun. There is so much going on sometimes, that you will no doubt have a few headaches afterwards (from concentration and tension). Always a good idea to be well hydrated beforehand. But the euphoria after you land makes up for that, although there will be times of frustration as well.

I have a friend here that often flies with me, that also just started his lessons. He completed his ground school a couple months ago and now is doing the flying part. He does have a head start, though, as on longer flights I would often give him the controls. Only thing I wouldn't let him do is land or take off. So it will be fun to watch him progress as well.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:08 AM
No Cookies

Well it appears I've impressed my instructor and have picked up the basics quite well I am a long way from being a competent flyer however one thing I have noticed is that the headsets that I have been using have definitely seen better days and are hit and miss with being able to clearly hear the radio.

So for you long time flyers what is a decent headset for a beginner all the headsets the school has are David Clarks and have been through the wringer a time or two and I am quickly finding out I need to hear stuff not static.

So what would you suggest within reasonable price for a beginner like me to look for
Old 09-07-2015, 03:37 PM
Life Partner

shrimp is on a distinguished road

David Clarks are my preferred choice, it all depends on which model.
These head sets range from few hundred dollars and can exceed a grand.
I suggest around the $800 mark.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:59 PM

Yeah, good headsets make a flight so much better. I would not skimp on headsets. Get an ANR at the minimum.
http://pilotshop.ca/pilot-supplies/h...oise-reduction
I have a pair of Zulus, and boy, they sure are wonderful compared to my old David Clarks (non ANR). Bose are good, too.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:51 PM

Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
I would not skimp on headsets. Get an ANR at the minimum.
I agree.

I would definitely advocate spending the money on an active noise canceling set right from the start.
Bluetooth pairing to your cell is another major plus in my books.

Having suffered a comm failure (intercom) in controlled airspace #2 to land with 2 more in the circuit, having the ability to call the tower easily on your cell would be a huge asset.
Sure you can squawk 7600, but in congested airspace its not fun being uncertain.

I have many non active noise canceling David Clarks.
67 Gallon Mixed Reef, Modular LED Lights

Send in the Clowns - Clown Fish Breeding
5 Gallon Fry Hatchery and 15 Gallon Clown Grow Out Tank
Old 10-25-2015, 09:56 PM
No Cookies

Well I have had my first bit of excitement practicing circuits and touch and goes had the cloud cover suddenly drop my instructor took over and just as he did my pilots side door popped I didn't panic but did some serious butt clenching managed to get door closed as he did a short final weather cancelled rest of days flying but made for an interesting talk after landing

Also did some serious research in ANR headsets and purchased a set of Faro ANR headset works quite well comfortable and easy to adjust plus are fairly rugged especially for our northern climes

Also according to my instructor I am advancing quite well don't panic easily and have a fair grasp on basic flying but still have a long ways to go and getting close to first cross country flight and controlled airspace currently flying from an uncontrolled airport and I am really enjoying flying so far but lots to learn still and gotta start on my online ground school again (Tough to stay focused sometimes)
Old 10-26-2015, 12:45 AM

Glad you're having fun, and your first pucker factor wasn't too high. As I'm sure you've heard, "It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground". Those can be pretty bad...

Not familiar with those headsets. Hope they work out for you.

How many hours are you up to now?