Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 08-23-2015, 10:55 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road
Default Way off topic

I recently decided to follow up on something that I have been wanting to do for 20+ years and decided to enrol in Flight school for a PPL.

This actually scares me a lot as there is a ton of stuff to know and learn and because doing classroom work unfortunately is not feasible for me I am doing the online classroom which in itself is daunting. Now take a guy that has not had to study or do homework for 26 years it becomes even scarier.

The end result is though if I carry through and pass all the TC exams I will be one more person to watch out for in the skies.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:18 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Congrats.. I'll keep my head up!
Old 08-24-2015, 12:43 AM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
I recently decided to follow up on something that I have been wanting to do for 20+ years and decided to enrol in Flight school for a PPL.

This actually scares me a lot as there is a ton of stuff to know and learn and because doing classroom work unfortunately is not feasible for me I am doing the online classroom which in itself is daunting. Now take a guy that has not had to study or do homework for 26 years it becomes even scarier.

The end result is though if I carry through and pass all the TC exams I will be one more person to watch out for in the skies.
Do it. It's a bit of work, but the reward and satisfaction is more than worth it. Then you can do this... Here's a youtube of a flight I did just 2 weeks ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keP5ECKgQaY
Old 08-24-2015, 01:37 AM
No Cookies

Finding out the government really really likes to nickel and dime you to death

Also finding out plane ownership is entirely achievable however you need some fairly deep pockets too
Old 08-24-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Finding out the government really really likes to nickel and dime you to death

Also finding out plane ownership is entirely achievable however you need some fairly deep pockets too
Good news about airplanes, is that they are a bit like real estate, if you get the right one. They go up in price over time. Don't think about them like cars or boats with huge depreciation. But yes, initial entry costs are high (incl getting your license), which is what holds so many people back from getting into flying.

And ongoing costs (incl maintenance and insurance) are not bad either (again need to get the right plane). My ongoing costs are less than my car (and truck).

Last edited by Reef Pilot; 08-24-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:01 PM

Ross is on a distinguished road

Ownership definitely has its merits, but the typical cost savings isn't seen until you fly around 100hrs a year.

67 Gallon Mixed Reef, Modular LED Lights

Send in the Clowns - Clown Fish Breeding
5 Gallon Fry Hatchery and 15 Gallon Clown Grow Out Tank
Old 08-25-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Ownership definitely has its merits, but the typical cost savings isn't seen until you fly around 100hrs a year.
Again, depends entirely what plane you choose and how it is certified. A small Cessna or Piper might cost 30 to 40K to buy, and 2 or 3K per year for maintenance if no major repairs or parts required. But a high quality amateurbuilt like a Vans RV or a Murphy Rebel (like mine) costs next to nothing to maintain and parts are a lot cheaper, too. The initial costs may be higher for an amateurbuilt, but you get a much better plane (newer design and technology) so the total cost of ownership is less in the long run (incl appreciation) for what you get and what you can do with it.

For example, I have been flying my plane for 14 years now, and have not spent more than 2K over that time on parts and maintenance (excludes discretionary upgrades). And in my case, it is worth at least 30K more than I have put into it (incl discretionary upgrades).

Oh, and hangars also appreciate like real estate, so that cost can be very minimal as well. That cost or rental is very dependent on where you live.

100 hours a year is quite a bit actually for a non commercial pilot. Most fly 50 hours or less. But for sure, ownership can still be very cost effective at 50 hours and less. And if less than 25 hours, not sure anyone would even rent you a plane (would need more recurrent training).

Another option that is becoming more popular, too, is fractional ownership.

But your first challenge will be to get your PPL. It's good that you are not underestimating that effort. Too many do, and quit because of their very unrealistic expectations.

Best of luck.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:19 PM
No Cookies

I have learned throughout the years never to underestimate anything because if you do expect heartache, spending more money than needed and way more paperwork than expected.

As far as flying goes I figure to get my license will spend around 7-11k and for now rental and want to get over a hundred hrs on my licence so if I rent elsewhere they aren't going to be so unwilling to rent but all that takes time and a lot of it looking earliest for licence maybe December if I pass everything then wonder what to do next
Old 08-25-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I have learned throughout the years never to underestimate anything because if you do expect heartache, spending more money than needed and way more paperwork than expected.

As far as flying goes I figure to get my license will spend around 7-11k and for now rental and want to get over a hundred hrs on my licence so if I rent elsewhere they aren't going to be so unwilling to rent but all that takes time and a lot of it looking earliest for licence maybe December if I pass everything then wonder what to do next
Getting your PPL by Dec may be a little optimistic, unless you are not working and have lots of time available. Most take 6 months or more (1 year is not unusual). Remember, you also have to schedule around weather (winds, low clouds, etc). I think the avg PPL takes 60+ hours and I know some that have taken over 100.

Despite what I said in my previous post, renting initially is good to start off with (I did that, too). It may take a while before you know what type of flying you will want to do (off airport, floats, $100 hamburger flights, etc.)
Old 08-25-2015, 11:48 PM
No Cookies

Providing I have the money I can actually fly up to 6 days a week as I am a shift worker and I work 4 on and 4 off it is of course dependent on money, weather and plane availability plus the flight school here also trains for northern climates which means mountain flying and unplanned weather events from valley to valley not a lot of flying schools teach that