Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-21-2013, 02:34 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by don.ald View Post
Bought one five years ago...still in the box. Every year about this time the topic of power failure comes up and I get anxious and think it time to open the box and see if the thing works. So if I fuel this thing up and don't use it does it go rotten? I guess it needs to be maintained.

Same thing here! Got a honda 4-5 years back and it's never been out of the box. Art says its just fine as long as you haven't fueled it up. The innerds are coated in something when it's manufactured allowing it to sit safely on the shell until it's sold.. Ours just sits longer than most.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:52 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I guess it needs to be maintained.
Once it's had fuel in it;

Use a Fuel Stabilizer, but make sure it's suitable for Ethanol blended gas (ethanol vs alcohol based stabilizer) as most now have it

And if it's stored where it's exposed to fluctuating temperatures, it's a good idea to give it an annual run to warm up the motor then an oil change to remove moisture from the crankcase

Last edited by gregzz4; 12-21-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:15 PM

Ross is on a distinguished road

Another thing that needs to be considered is your electrical cord size.

I killed a similar cheap generator a few years back by pulling full load on a 50 ft 16/3 cord. The line losses pushed the generator over capacity and blew something up inside.
Cost as much to fix as to replace.

If your going to be pulling 3/4 capacity make sure you have a 14 or better yet a 12 gauge cord.
67 Gallon Mixed Reef, Modular LED Lights

Send in the Clowns - Clown Fish Breeding
5 Gallon Fry Hatchery and 15 Gallon Clown Grow Out Tank
Old 12-21-2013, 03:27 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Bought one five years ago...still in the box. Every year about this time the topic of power failure comes up and I get anxious and think it time to open the box and see if the thing works. So if I fuel this thing up and don't use it does it go rotten? I guess it needs to be maintained.
Once it's got gas in it just store it with fuel stabilizer in the gas and your good to go. If you store it outdoors it's a good idea to fire it up every month or so in the colder times of the year.
I too had one sitting in the box for a couple years before it got used, that's a great buy at Canadian tire for the Champion generator I have the same except one step up and good for 3000 watts with the 4 outlets so I can run some house lights etc. as well as my tanks. And yes make sure your extension cords are minimum 14 gauge or 12 gauge even better.

Last edited by The Guy; 12-21-2013 at 03:30 PM.