Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 08-14-2010, 03:06 AM

JonT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharuq1 View Post
Oh wow! Your offers are beyond generous and I am just reeling reading your posts! I will be pm-ing everyone who would like to donate and see what arrangements I can make to pick up things and whatnot. On behalf of the residents, thank you so much.

Due to the closure of two nursing homes here in Red Deer, our facility will be receiving many admissions during the months of September and October-so I might not be able to set up the tank until after the majority of the admissions have come in due to time constraints, my own move and the upheaval that will be happening in the building. I was planning on just doing something extremely small (like 2.5-10g) with anything I had lying around, but with the things you guys have listed it could be something so much nicer and bigger as well.

With that being said, bigger also means an increase in the cost--as salt is an added cost and I am on my own with that as this is my "project" and the facility is unable to help. Do you think I should make it a salty tank, or would I be better off making a fresh tank for them? I need to keep this project cheap so the options I am considering are fresh community tank, cichlid tank or sw softie tank.

Will consider any and all ideas, so please help me brainstorm. I do hear what you're saying in regards to cost. It is a big deal so it may be more sustainable to do the freshwater tank in the long run.

You may be able to work a deal with a certain sponsor....... (see a few posts up!) and perhaps the LTC will be able to buy the salt (if perhaps they are buying at, or near cost?) With a softies tank, and simple fish, you won't need to do as many water changes. That bucket of salt would last a long time depending on the size of the tank.

I would also look at the option of having the softies, and other easy corals as a possible means to support the tank. If you say worked another deal with the local shops, you may be able to trade frags for the supplies you need.

All things to consider.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:47 AM

sharuq1 is on a distinguished road

Update: My manager is waiting on head office to tell us if there are any health issues we need to be aware of for placing our tank. I also need to develop a formalized plan with costs and maintenance costs & find the MSDS for Prime. (Anyone know how to get ahold of that, or if one exists?) There always seems to be red tape involved, lol.

I have decided freshwater will be cheaper and more sustainable in the long run and easier to maintain as well. I'd still like to use a sump as then I will not have to add on another filter & I can hide all the media/heaters/ugly stuff etc. in there.

Here's my list of items I think would work well for this build:

Tank
Stand
Sump
Canopy for lights over tank
Lights
Bulbs for lights--actinics will make it pop
Return pump
Plumbing
Neutral colored gravel
Large stones for decoration/hiding areas
Some kind of background (anyone know a dealer with a 3d one to gift?)
And for livestock: Peacock or African male cichlids, or some other brightly colored and hardy fish.

I need to find a breeder or someone getting out of fish I think. Anybody know anyone?

Your thoughts? Did I miss anything?
Old 08-23-2010, 08:00 PM

dave_C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharuq1 View Post
Update: My manager is waiting on head office to tell us if there are any health issues we need to be aware of for placing our tank. I also need to develop a formalized plan with costs and maintenance costs & find the MSDS for Prime. (Anyone know how to get ahold of that, or if one exists?) There always seems to be red tape involved, lol.

I have decided freshwater will be cheaper and more sustainable in the long run and easier to maintain as well. I'd still like to use a sump as then I will not have to add on another filter & I can hide all the media/heaters/ugly stuff etc. in there.

Here's my list of items I think would work well for this build:

Tank
Stand
Sump
Canopy for lights over tank
Lights
Bulbs for lights--actinics will make it pop
Return pump
Plumbing
Neutral colored gravel
And for livestock: Peacock or African male cichlids, or some other brightly colored and hardy fish.

I need to find a breeder or someone getting out of fish I think. Anybody know anyone?

Your thoughts? Did I miss anything?
We can help you out with these parts

Tank= we can have this build as soon as you give me the size to work with
Stand= we can get a metal stand welded together and paint black
Sump= we can do this as well and we do have a 5 gallon bucket of bio-ball laying around that you can have
Canopy for lights over tank= we do have a terk two bulb 39 watt retro kit floating around some where that you can have
Lights
Bulbs for lights--actinics will make it pop= lots of used t5 39 watts bulbs you can have
Return pump
Plumbing
Neutral colored gravel
And for livestock: Peacock or African male cichlids, or some other brightly colored and hardy fish

hope this makes sense lol
Old 08-23-2010, 08:08 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

I've got a two bulb normal output T5 lamp that I had for a freshwater setup as well as some neutral gravel, and some cheesey decorations that I would be willing to donate. Probably find a few more odds and ends as I scrounge through my stuff but that's what I can come up with off the top of my head.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:15 AM

concept
Quote:
hope this makes sense lol
I think it makes sense but my brain is not working to full capacity due to lack of sleep, lol You might have to explain to this poor old gal using an idiots guide of some sort.

slickfork: Some gravel would be great, especially seeing as I have to go to your house anyway real soon. I will be going very simple in the tank and leaving out any decorations except stones/rocks/natural looking items. It sounds like concept is willing to donate a x2 retrofit t5 light. I don't know if that is enough to light a tank or not, but if not we will gladly take the NO as well and have lots of light in there.

Note: I am extremely busy and will be so for the next month as we are moving to an acreage outside Delburne and somehow need to turn a workshop into a living space in the next few weeks and work two jobs. Starting somewhere between the 28th and the 1st I will no longer have the internet as getting it out on the acreage is providing us with some financial hurdles--so I may not have net for an undefined amount of time. Don't worry, I will make sure this project gets taken care of and if I have to go to a Starbucks to contact people on wifi I will! Only reason I mention it is just so people don't think I fell off the face of the earth and forgot about this project

If I count the items that people have said they can help with, we are still in need of a return pump, plumbing, all sizes of rocks/stones or even big pieces of dead coral for the decorations & a skin for the stand and canopy. Any leftover wood suitable for the canopy/skinning of the stand (unpainted: plywood, edging, maple) would be very much appreciated, maple especially as the facility has maple on all their fireplaces and windows. If you know anyone throwing out any of these items and they still work and they wouldn't mind donating it, please reply to this thread or contact me via pm.

Please keep the responses/emails or pms coming, they will get answered when I can get on. All responses and all help is very much appreciated.

Last edited by sharuq1; 08-27-2010 at 02:41 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:56 PM

Default :(

The long term care facility was audited recently. I was told there are regulations in place which will make it very difficult if not impossible to do this project. Many thanks to everyone who wished to help. It is amazing, the generosity that exists on this site. If for any reason I find a loophole (and I am looking) that will allow me to complete this project I will be contacting you.

We recently moved out to an acreage and don't have Internet yet, but I try to check my email periodically on public wifi when I have the chance. My apologies to everyone who was all geared up to help with this. It is a huge letdown for me too- actually it just plain sucks. In the meantime I guess I will keep on searching for a loophole :P
Old 09-21-2010, 03:43 AM

meenamjah is on a distinguished road

that really sucks... I hope you find a way.