Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-15-2013, 02:50 AM

Jenner is on a distinguished road
Smile New tank 1st fill

Just wondering how important using RODI water is when starting a new tank as I do not have a RODI system. I have a 55 gallon with a 25 gallon sump. Will have live rock / sand and some basic corals. I have a 14 gallon bio cube running now. Will be transferring everything from it once the new tank is stable. Only had the cube for around a year so I'm fairly new to the salt water game. Please help. I'm going to talk with the LFS tomorrow and see if they sell water.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:54 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

Do you plan on ever getting an RO/DI unit? If you don't plan on ever getting one, I personally wouldn't bother. Fill your tank with the water you plan on maintaining it with. Buying pre-made salt water for a 55 gallon is going to get expensive, tedious, and time consuming, so if that's not something you plan on doing on an ongoing basis, don't bother now. A few months after the tank is up and running you'll have replaced it's entire volume probably a couple of times so starting with RO/DI won't matter in the long run.

If you are in the process of getting an RO/DI unit, or you do plan on buying pre-made salt water long term, then by all means, do it for your first fill.

There are some amazing tap water tanks out there, but I will say an RO unit was the best investment I ever made. Sometimes I wonder why my tank is getting it instead of me (we still drink tap)
Old 03-15-2013, 02:57 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Have you ever tested the TDS of your tap water ?
Maybe your LFS could test it for you

Do you have any on-going algae issues in your 14g ?
If not, you're probably OK without RO or RO/DI, but I prefer to use a system for my water, even though my tap water is only 8ppm

Even if your TDS is lower than ( for example ) 100 in your area, what exactly are you getting 100 parts of ??? Arsenic, copper, sulpher ... there's all kinds of stuff in city water

Just my 5 cents
Old 03-15-2013, 03:01 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
I prefer to use a system for my water, even though my tap water is only 8ppm
Is there an emoticon for 'jealous'? Your tap water is what Calgary's tap water looks like after a trip through an RO/DI unit who's resin is a little tired.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:10 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
Is there an emoticon for 'jealous'? Your tap water is what Calgary's tap water looks like after a trip through an RO/DI unit who's resin is a little tired.
Ya, we're pretty lucky here. The government spent a whack of dough a few years back on a new treatment plant and Vancouver then boasted the cleanest water in the world. In a white bucket, or even the bathtub, the water is blue
I haven't even used my DI canister yet

Don't fret it, we still pay 12% HST ( until Apr 1st this year ) on EVERYthing

Last edited by gregzz4; 03-15-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:25 AM

11purewater is on a distinguished road

You'll need to at least run it through carbon or chloramine treatment.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:17 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

If your on a budget this is what I bought with a kitchen sink attachment http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/vt...+-+100GPD.html total cost with attachment was $155 but I have seen these for sale for less than a $100.

I haven't had an issue with it and it doesn't take up a lot of room. You can also go to places like Canadian Springs as they sell water purification units and may even have some used ones for sale plus you can get your replacement filters through them as well.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:24 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

blue? pure water should be 100% clear. I would be wary of using blue water in my tank.

we pay 15% here on everything and we get crappy health care services. Hope you have better services in your end of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Ya, we're pretty lucky here. The government spent a whack of dough a few years back on a new treatment plant and Vancouver then boasted the cleanest water in the world. In a white bucket, or even the bathtub, the water is blue
I haven't even used my DI canister yet

Don't fret it, we still pay 12% HST ( until Apr 1st this year ) on EVERYthing
Old 03-15-2013, 02:40 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
blue? pure water should be 100% clear. I would be wary of using blue water in my tank.

we pay 15% here on everything and we get crappy health care services. Hope you have better services in your end of the country.
*Cough* Reparation payments *cough*