Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 06-03-2012, 03:31 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default I love being right!

Unfortunately, I'll have to wait a bit longer..

Officially, 3 AI Sol Blue are not enough light for a fully stocked and mature SPS tank.
The color of the tank with these lights is much nicer than I expected, and no heat at all, which means huge savings on my chiller NOT running all the time.

But, with only three lights, at 100%, it's just not enough...

I expect corals to lose color shortly....
Old 06-03-2012, 03:35 AM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Unfortunately, I'll have to wait a bit longer..

Officially, 3 AI Sol Blue are not enough light for a fully stocked and mature SPS tank.
The color of the tank with these lights is much nicer than I expected, and no heat at all, which means huge savings on my chiller NOT running all the time.

But, with only three lights, at 100%, it's just not enough...

I expect corals to lose color shortly....
So you got them mounted? Are you going to run the 3 as is now or did you go back to the MH until you get a 4th?
Old 06-03-2012, 03:49 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderjumper View Post
So you got them mounted? Are you going to run the 3 as is now or did you go back to the MH until you get a 4th?
Gonna need a 5th and 6th too, me thinks

Dismantled the MH gear, so running as is until I get more. I retro fitted a rail system into the existing canopy, so there's no going back...
Old 06-03-2012, 03:56 AM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Gonna need a 5th and 6th too, me thinks

Dismantled the MH gear, so running as is until I get more. I retro fitted a rail system into the existing canopy, so there's no going back...
Damn... At least you like the color!
Old 06-03-2012, 03:58 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderjumper View Post
Damn... At least you like the color!
Ya, it looks good, and the sunrise/sunset/moon are nice effects. I don't like the color separation, but I knew that already. I suppose I'll get used to it.

Certainly nice things to say about LED, but they are not as nice visually as MH, IMO.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:08 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Keep in mind LEDs are significantly dimmer than traditional halides, it takes time for your eyes to adjust. When I first setup mine I ran them at 100% and still thought they looked dim, after toasting all my sps I now run them closer to 50%. Don't use your eyes to judge.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:55 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

I notice everyone talking about hight above the water line. Imo and i am only running one unit on a nano, but think distance from the bottom of the tank is more important. At least if you are looking at the footprint from the lite area. Just my two pennies.

Sent from my galaxy S2 using tapatalk
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:58 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Brad, I wasn't getting spotlighting, but rather 3 faint cone effects with just running 3. With the DIYs, it eliminated that.

You are familiar with my tank. You know that my highest rock is 12" below the water surface. Even now I run my SOLs at 60% and am still getting great colours. I started my LEDs at 60% and still bleached out some of my coral but was able to recover them, it just looked horrible during the recovery period. Just wanted to advise you based on experience.

Hope this helps. At 60% I don't think it looks dark. But I'll tell you one thing, when I switched over to LEDs 15 months ago, I regretted at first because it's such a different look compared to halides. The halides looked brighter and more like the sun. But now I love em. It grew on me I guess. Sorry for the rant.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:27 AM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

You can borrow my module until your other ones come in. might help maintain the colour
Old 06-04-2012, 04:11 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezetyle View Post
You can borrow my module until your other ones come in. might help maintain the colour
Thanks Jon, but I'm just going to order right away. If I need to, I can borrow 3 from Japarto and give him mine when they get in.