Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-26-2019, 05:11 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Any updates from anyone on Vibrant?

All I can find on the web, aside from the flood of 'good' reviews, is a few notes about tank crashes.

In the meantime, I think I'll stick with managing NO3/PO4 levels through dosing, and I'm liking results from adding amino acids
Old 09-27-2019, 02:24 AM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy

Thanks for the info! I'd like an update on Vibrant too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
In the meantime, I think I'll stick with managing NO3/PO4 levels through dosing, and I'm liking results from adding amino acids

What kinds of amino acids are you using Greg? Where can I find some info on aminos?
Old 09-27-2019, 03:25 AM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

I’ve been using it since June at 1ml/10 gallons every 4 days trying to eradicate a years old gha problem. At the start I had undetectable nitrates and virtually undetectable Phos using a Hanna ULR.

Anytime I’ve had SPS brown out or STN start I’ve done something else stupid, like badly fluctuate alk. I don’t attribute any of the problems to the Vibrant. My LPS has receded somewhat and not grown much it’s all still alive, I assume Vibrant has contributed to that but probably isn’t the only factor.

There was a ball of Cheato in the sump. After a couple months it simply disintegrated and disappeared. At this point my Phos and nitrate spiked. Phos went to about .44ppm and nitrates were at about 5ppm. Lanthanum chloride was used to drop the Phos.(I’m guessing this contributed to some stn and browning of the sps.) Remove all your macro algae’s before starting the dosing.

As the cheato decayed the GHA had a slight resurgence in growth rates for about 10days.

Overall the gha has basically quit growing, has receded and not returned on some small patches. The war hasn’t been won yet but slowly the battles are. When I started with the vibrant some bubble algae had begun to grow on a new frag, after a couple months of dosing it just disappeared overnight never to return. My water is crystal clear, glass doesn’t need cleaning as often, except for the coraline algae whose growth seems to have accelerated.

My nitrates are back to undetectable and phos is back down to .01ppm last test. The tank gets a small dose of KNO3 daily. I haven’t had any Dino problems yet, but anticipate them showing up when/if the gha finally succumbs.

I’m happy with the results so far, about to open my second bottle. It’s been the only solution I’ve found that has even put a dent in the GHA. If it rids the tank of the gha I’ll be dancing naked in the streets(I live in the middle of nowhere, you won’t see it on the news).

It’s like any other additive, weigh the pros and cons, make sure you have a good reason to use it and introduce it slowly.

Last edited by hillbillyreefer; 09-27-2019 at 03:28 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:14 PM

OurCoralReef is on a distinguished road

Thanks very interesting
Old 09-27-2019, 07:33 PM

hfp75 is on a distinguished road

Vibrant almost destroyed one of my tanks....

Beware....
Old 09-28-2019, 05:05 AM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfp75 View Post

Beware....
Can you elaborate on what happened?
Old 09-28-2019, 06:15 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I battled horrendous hair algae for at least 6 months. I was doing religious manual pruning. I'll admit my monthly water changes probably weren't enough. I reduced my feeding and kept up with the manual removal. Talking wire brushes and tweezers for hours each week. I then dosed vibrant once and I swear in about 24 hours the difference was unreal. I've done a weekly dose for a month now and I'm back to spoiling my fish with the food and I actually haven't got a single patch of algae anymore. At times I could barely see my rock it was so bad. Perhaps things reached some magical equilibrium but the timing makes that very unlikely. I'm now dosing weekly but at a much smaller amount.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:13 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfp75 View Post

Beware....
Please share, even if it’s bad at least it’s out there.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:06 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrazorguy View Post
What kinds of amino acids are you using Greg? Where can I find some info on aminos?
I've been using TLF AcroPower. I used to add Brightwell's to my frozen food but am now manually dosing to document/monitor the effects.
It's only been a couple weeks so no solid info as of yet.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:53 PM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

I tried Acropower for a while but found it was ending up being food for cyano.

As stated at the beginning of this thread. I tried Vibrant but instead of helping with the GHA it started my year and a half battle with cyano. I have good periods and bad periods with the cyano. I have to vacuum it out at least once every 2 weeks right now (bad period) or it starts to take over the tank. I removed my sand bed last year as it was one of the culprits.

Still have GHA that I also vacuum out once every 2 weeks. The green hair algae only grows is many small patches and hasn't really spread.

It is not nutrients or water flow that cause the cyano and the GHA. I believe it is the lack of nutrients and unstable nature of the nutrients in the tank. I have to manually add nitrates and phosphates or they quickly zero out causing not only the corals to look like crap but the cyano from growing crazy.

Not sure why I feed heavy enough, do not over skim and have enough fish. I can't find a fish/ snail/ urchin that will make an effort to eat the GHA.