Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-06-2015, 09:05 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Still one of the nicest builds in the GVRD...
Old 03-06-2015, 11:08 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post
Still one of the nicest builds in the GVRD...
Still working on things. I finally decided to upgrade my CA reactor. ( pics to follow).
It is working, but I think I need to put the first reactor back in as an additional reactor. ALK doesn't seem to get higher that 6.5. The more I add, the more the tank uses.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 03-06-2015, 11:23 PM

mikellini is on a distinguished road

Did you see my post above?
Old 03-07-2015, 12:00 AM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
Still working on things. I finally decided to upgrade my CA reactor. ( pics to follow).
It is working, but I think I need to put the first reactor back in as an additional reactor. ALK doesn't seem to get higher that 6.5. The more I add, the more the tank uses.
I would feel similar to yourself and be looking at the fire coral and wondering how much of your alk is it using...

I can't imagine the work it will take to remove it from your system but it sure seems like it LOVES the parameters in your tank and has a growth advantage over the rest of your corals...

If you ever need a hand getting in there and removing it, I'm sure a lot of us would be happy to help.

Did switching your solenoid wind up just offering a temporary boost?

I wonder if there are any biological options or if you could blast them with hot water or something and kill it off in small batches.

The Millepora genus, although not susceptible to many things, does have few areas that can lead to its demise. Having zooxanthellae algae makes them susceptible to bleaching. Higher temperatures than they are used to will cause this too, along with their being too close to a Metal Halide lamp.

From http://animal-world.com/Aquarium-Coral-Reefs/Fire-Coral and in regards to the branching fire coral so possibly not applicable.

Predators are another nuisance. These include the Pyrgomatina barnacles, both commensal and carnivorous marine worms, (polychaete), and Filefish from the Aluterus and Cantherhines genus. The Crown of Thorns Starfish Acanthaster planci, will also eat these hydracorals, even thought they are stung in the process.

Some of the most interesting predators are nudibranchs, such as the Phyllidia nudibranchs. These feed on Fire corals but can ingest the stinging nematocysts without digesting them. They then use these same nematocysts as defense by transporting them through their intestines to their dorsal appendages. When the sea slug feels threatened, it will then fire the stinging nematocysts at the predator!
Old 03-07-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
Now on p 14 of 118... amazing.

Regarding the fire coral, what about removing your healthy colonies and keeping them in a bin under some light for a while, then going dark to kill off the fire coral? Might be easier than removing everything... although a bit less entertaining
That might be a bit extreme. I suspect a month of darkness might be needed, and I'm not sure how every other creature in the tank would fare, including the fish. Easier to physically remove the rocks, but that is no easy task at all.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

Old 03-08-2015, 12:05 AM

mikellini is on a distinguished road

I think whatever you do would need to be extreme for it to work. But you gotta do something! This tank could be amazing!
Old 03-08-2015, 01:16 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
ALK doesn't seem to get higher that 6.5. The more I add, the more the tank uses.
What's your Mag @ ?
Old 03-08-2015, 04:44 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Could you not cover large areas with some dark plastic? Thinking black garbage bag strips anchored for a week maybe? You'd have to weave the bags underneath your other colonies but one rock at a time might be manageable. If they're pressed close to the encrusted coral and there's no flow over it maybe a day or two would kill it.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:11 AM

New reactor is starting to work. Alk is up to 8.5. Tank doesn't look too bad.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
What's your Mag @ ?
Don't know. I last measured it years ago...it was always fine. I'll check it again.