Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-27-2014, 07:22 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Sorry to hear of the frustrations.

Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that this is something to check for when looking for a generator.

I wonder what would be a good architecture to go with then, instead. Maybe a UPS or battery backup for the pumps or circulators, and let the generator simply charge the battery? Sort of like how it works when we plug our cell phones or laptops into the wall - still running on battery, it just charges faster than it discharges?
Old 05-27-2014, 09:23 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

I have heard that when the power comes back on, sometimes there is a surge.
This has screwed a few friends computers, in different years.
The way I understand it, when the power goes out, you turn everything in the house off, except maybe a light, so that you know when the power is restored.
This saves your delicate electronic devices.
One friend (about 10 yrs ago) complained to hydro, and in his area, there was a big surge, neighbours had trouble as well, so hydro settled with him.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:02 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Another year seems to have drifted by so I suppose it is time for an update or two.

Over the past year or so, I've struggled with keeping my Ca/Alk levels up. I continuously tried to get MORE out of my Ca reactor, but I was frustrated that I was burning through CO2 at a startling rate. I had basically given up because I wasn't willing to spend any more $ on CO2 and I couldn't get any more production out of the reactor when my CO2 solenoid died.

I replaced the solenoid. MAGIC! All of sudden, I stopped going through CO2. Turns out that the solenoid must have been leaking badly for a long time. (yes, I checked for leaks many times but must have missed it somehow). So now I'm back to trying to raise my Ca/Alk and push my reactor harder.

I also became frustrated with constantly fighting with the peristaltic pump that drives the reactor. Not only do you need to change the tubing every few months, but the pump drive dies every couple of years. I decided to just flow the reactor continuously and put a JG solenoid on it to shut it down in the event of power failure. So far, this simpler arrangement is working well and I've got my Alk up to as high as 9! (Typically, It had been down at 6.5 for the past year or so)

Life and Death: Following the great power failure, I lost my Atlantic Blue. It is hard to say if it was related or not, but he got really sick and died in the weeks that followed the outage. Just recently, my eyelash Blennie died. His death seemed kind of "normal" to me. He seemed to just start to look quite old...his appetite diminished and he just faded away over the past few months. I didn't keep a record of his time in the tank, but my Atlantic Blue was just over 6 years.

The rest of the fish continue to thrive. Most of them have been in there 7 years now. Moe (Blonde Naso) and Corona (yellow tang) will be 8 years in a few months. Female clownfish will be 10 years in March. (Still laying eggs like clockwork every few weeks)

Coral still grows like mad...even though I have not replaced my halide bulbs in over 2 years and my T5 ballasts have all died. Eventually, I'm going to have to replace all the lights and will probably go LED at that point.

There is an ongoing war between the orange fire coral and other corals. Basically, if I keep the tank parameters healthy, the good coral holds its own. If I let things slide, the fire coral takes over. I can't face the project, but my entire live rock probably needs to be replaced in order to remove the fire coral. I'll probably need a crowbar to get it out as all my rock has become fused into one 500lb lump.

A couple of pics:

400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436

Last edited by untamed; 12-28-2014 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Images added
Old 12-28-2014, 11:37 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Its still looking awesome.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:25 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Brad.

Sorry to hear about the power outage problems.

Thanks for the update. Always look forward to reading about your monster tank and seeing pics of this beautiful reef system. Would like to come by and see it in person one day. Haven't come by since we used to organize those reef tour events years ago.

Anthony
Old 12-29-2014, 03:24 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillegom View Post
Its still looking awesome.
Amen!
Old 12-29-2014, 04:10 AM
Gold Member

Tn23 is on a distinguished road

Still looks great Brad.
That yellow Sponge stuff has really taken over your rocks since I've last come by. Wow.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:24 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

it's funny how things you paid for at one point can become such a nuisance. The fire coral makes the tank look freaking cool, however.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:40 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty23 View Post
Still looks great Brad.
That yellow Sponge stuff has really taken over your rocks since I've last come by. Wow.
I wish it was a sponge. It is an encrusting hard fire coral, with stinging cells that causes me a lot if itchiness if I happen to touch it. It also drives my CA/Alk usage through the roof.

Yes, it does look kind of pretty...but I can't enjoy that view so much.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 12-29-2014, 05:05 AM

mikellini is on a distinguished road

Now on p 14 of 118... amazing.

Regarding the fire coral, what about removing your healthy colonies and keeping them in a bin under some light for a while, then going dark to kill off the fire coral? Might be easier than removing everything... although a bit less entertaining