Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Edmonton

Old 09-14-2017, 07:06 PM

Superomario is on a distinguished road
Default Hello new here

Hi,

I'm Omar new to the hobby and new here. I have a 55 gallon reef tank I have started up I've had it going for 5-6 weeks now and just introduced two clownfish to my tank yesterday. I am worried my power head may be too strong as it seems as if the little one is really struggling but I'm not sure as this is my first fish and don't know what normal looks like. (Ill post pictures later) I have about 20lbs of live rock and 25lbs of dry rock and have let the tank cycle (or at least I hope I did) I have a bunch of little cleaners in here off the live rock and bought two snails and like 20 hermit crabs so far for clean up and have even discovered one or two starfish in the rock.

I hope to add corals once I can afford them as this set up has already cost me an arm and a leg. Also wish I did more research online to buy used items but oh well. I'm looking for some help, advice, and guidance from anyone; would even like to meet people if they are inclined to come see my tank give my pointers or help me out as I am always second guessing myself on if I am doing things the right way.

Look forward to getting to know everyone
Old 09-15-2017, 09:08 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

I would start by getting quality test kits for nitrites, ammonia, nitrates and phosphates. This will allow others to assist in determining if your tank has been cycled.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:33 AM

Gp Scott is on a distinguished road

I agree with the test kits I tested a lot when I started but when you get your levels set and stable it's less testing . As for your power head you shouldn't need them set to high with just two clowns in there I would point them up a bit just to agitate the water the power head settings and placement are more critical when you put your coral in
Old 09-18-2017, 04:08 PM

Superomario is on a distinguished road

I don't think the Powerhead has multiple settings but will check. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:18 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superomario View Post
I don't think the Powerhead has multiple settings but will check. Thanks.
Sometimes they have attachments on the housing you can put on or remove to change the flow pattern and reduce the flow rate.