Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-01-2017, 03:33 AM

scuglass is on a distinguished road

Ammonia is up to .4 today nitrates still at .05... And the wait continues.

Working on the stand today, starting to take shape. Should fill and sand tomorrow and hope to paint shortly. Looking for recommendations on paint at the moment. Would like something with a lacquer type finish. Probably end up using something oil based.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2017, 05:14 AM

reefmandan is on a distinguished road

Could you tell.me a bit about what you did for your stand/skin. I have a peninsula with a metal stand, and I'm really struggling with how I want to skin it.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmandan View Post
Could you tell.me a bit about what you did for your stand/skin. I have a peninsula with a metal stand, and I'm really struggling with how I want to skin it.
I used Medex which is a "water resistant" type MDF. Ive read a hundred times youre not supposed to use MDF cause of the glues, chemicals etc but Im gonna roll the dice.

I have a piece of that plastic cardboard type material on the back affixed with magnets, this will keep the salt off my wall and keep the outlets somewhat isolated from the moisture.

All three remaining sides are separate and will be detachable. I did this for maintenance and overall functionality as i felt hampered by my last stand. Once it was there is was stuck with it.

The two sides are "L" shaped with some risers that sit on my stand, this elevated the top surface to hide the unsightly bottom of the tank. I had planned to put some magnets into the sides to hold it in place but the top lip seems to hold it on just fine with the assistance of gravity. I might add one on each side of the panel just to keep it in place. In hind sight i dont think magnets would cut it cause these panels arent light.

Front panel then sits even with the sides and trims out the front. I have doors to install however think the weight might be an issue once again and magnets arent gonna cut it. Im thinking about using some plugs to connect the face to the sides in order to hold the front up. Time will tell how this shakes down.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:33 PM

Levels as of today (day 13 with shrimp)
Temp 77.5 (I did add 5 gal of top off prior to testing)
Ph 8.0
Ammonia .2
Nitrite .1
Nitrate 2

Should I leave the shrimp in there or pull it out and watch my ammonia levels in the coming days?
Old 09-20-2017, 03:52 AM

Ammonia at 0, Nitrite still above 0... Tick tock ...

Got the stand finalized. Or so I thought. Hinges I used weren't perfect for the application. Should get that sorted in the next few days.

Electrical is coming together but I'll need to work on the extra cords. Planning on mounting the components and controllers on the left panel of the stand.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk