Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > Lower Mainland

Old 05-28-2013, 07:43 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

I overheard a employee at JL convince a newb he needed 2 skimmers for his tank...

Then got off the phone and bragged to me about what a good salesman he was...

It's a for profit business guys.
If you're concerned with scruples, you won't last very long.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:05 PM

apexifd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post

It's a for profit business
+1, otherwise it's call "SPCA"

purple tang, sohal tang, yellow eye kole tang, fairy wrasse. cleaner wrasse, leopard wrasse, and misc fish.

GHL Mitras 6200HV X 2, MP40 X 2, MP60 X 1, tunze 6095 X 2, Vertex RX6 calcium reactor, Bubble King SM250, Aquamaxx bio pellets reactor, Profilux 3
Old 05-28-2013, 09:56 PM

Gizmoh is on a distinguished road

I have been in sales my whole life and like to believe I do well with scruples. Any good salesperson knows there is more money to be made in honesty and quality. Once that 2 skimmer "newb" found out he had been duped he probably stocked his entire tank with the competition. Referrals are the bloodline of your business, especially in retail sales as your limited to who comes through the door.

A for profit business should be more concerned about this, or I'd like to see their training program.

Last edited by Gizmoh; 05-28-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:29 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmoh View Post
I have been in sales my whole life and like to believe I do well with scruples. Any good salesperson knows there is more money to be made in honesty and quality. Once that 2 skimmer "newb" found out he had been duped he probably stocked his entire tank with the competition. Referrals are the bloodline of your business, especially in retail sales as your limited to who comes through the door.

A for profit business should be more concerned about this, or I'd like to see their training program.

LOL....
as someone who's been in sales their whole life, I am surprised at your innocence.

I've worked many different sales positions and some MAY allow you the luxury of scruples but many more do not.

Not to mention, put a sales guy with a conscience next to a sociopath and i guarantee the sociopath will sell circles around the do gooder.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:33 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
the sociopath will sell circles around the do gooder.
We don't go into sales...
Old 05-28-2013, 11:52 PM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I overheard a employee at JL convince a newb he needed 2 skimmers for his tank...

Then got off the phone and bragged to me about what a good salesman he was...

It's a for profit business guys.
If you're concerned with scruples, you won't last very long.
Ya this kind of thing happens at every fish store, even great ones like JL. It is a pretty difficult business as we all know... many (maybe most) LFSs eventually go broke. Selling stuff is their livelihood, so it is hard to blame them when they do everything they can to make the sale.

It is unfortunate when this mentality extends to livestock though. There should be some morals involved with dealing with live animals. In my opinion, selling a customer a skimmer he doesn't need is one thing, but selling a customer an animal that is clearly doomed to suffer and die in a 1-day old tank is another.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:51 AM

cblair is on a distinguished road

That was one of the things that impressed me with J&L. I witnessed an employee schooling a very obvious newbie who had only kept fish only and was wanting to buy some sps. I was very impressed by how knowledgable the employee was and how political he was in basically telling the guy not to do it unless you know exactly what your doing and the costs involved in doing it properly. So props to J&L for being ethical with their livestock
Old 05-29-2013, 02:27 PM

jonn46 is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with Gizmoh, I have been in business for 15 years and I worry a out keeping my clients happy first and making money second. If you do that the money will always follow. I only deal with major clients and have had some for over 10 years now. It's worked for me and I sleep well at night.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:17 PM

Dempsey is on a distinguished road

I've always found J&L to be good in this regard. They've always answered my questions honestly, and have not just gone for the sale when I've inquired about certain livestock that wouldn't necessarily do well in my system.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:34 AM

EarthEaterBob is on a distinguished road

I agree, when Robert was there the Marine section was amazing. Definitely second best in the area other than J&L. Could find some gems every once and awhile. He always gave me honest and sound advice, and his experiences. The replacement...not so great to say the least. I have not bought anything since Robert left.

There is one guy, a young Asian fellow who does work from time to time. This guy is very good. Suggested to a couple to go to J&L to get some parts that they did not have. Obviously a serious hobbyist that wants to help.

J&L I have never had any problems before. They are all very experienced hobbyist (except for one guy, the latino guy?) and all give excellent and honest advice.

Tags
king eds, lfs reviews