Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 02-11-2011, 04:57 PM

Binare is on a distinguished road

Ive had 5 or 6 of these heaters and never had issues. That said... I like the Jagers now for calibration.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:29 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

Everything Jager is good...

Old 02-11-2011, 05:31 PM

cale262 is on a distinguished road

I had one of these fail on me a couple years ago in a hi-tec planted system, I came home to find everthing dead and a very established and mature system wiped out, it was heart breaking to say the least...All my systems are running ehiem heaters now...
Old 02-11-2011, 05:45 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

So basically the heater is a loaded pipe bomb, nice! You know that is definitely lawsuit material, especially with any kind of damage, even emotional.

It's interesting the company hasn't recalled them as I'm sure they are aware of the issue, my bet is they did a value analysis which proved the expense required for the recall is higher than the damages they may have to pay out as a result from the defective products. Although this is common practice it's also basically illegal. Any registered engineer or other professionals working on the project could loose their license and face jail time. Their is certainly danger towards human life here, if the instant before the heater exploded you noticed a strange sound and decided to pull out the heater to investigate it would certainly do some damage.

I would investigate some options if I were you, this kind of BS shouldn't just be shrugged off as "I should have known better", the manufacturer and designers should have known better. It's certainly not your responsibility to make sure such products are safe to use.

Last edited by sphelps; 02-11-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:01 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

$50 says the warranty with the product has a limited liability clause that only covers the physical heater itself and wont cover any other damages caused by the heater malfuntioning.

every product has the clause. Though some lawsuits have been very successful in turning over a LL clause but it takes $$...lots of $$
Old 02-11-2011, 06:04 PM

Jackie is on a distinguished road

Are we talking about ALL Stealth Pro heater as of those ones on shelf today or just those from a bad patch of defective heaters?
Old 02-11-2011, 07:23 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
Are we talking about ALL Stealth Pro heater as of those ones on shelf today or just those from a bad patch of defective heaters?
If you search around, I think you will find that this has been going on for a while now. There are many reports of this happening. If it is limited to a bad batch, then I think it's more than one batch that has this problem.

I really would take the heater out of opperation. It's just not worth the risk.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:07 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi delt reefer View Post
$50 says the warranty with the product has a limited liability clause that only covers the physical heater itself and wont cover any other damages caused by the heater malfuntioning.

every product has the clause. Though some lawsuits have been very successful in turning over a LL clause but it takes $$...lots of $$
Doesn't matter in this case as it's not a warranty issue. If they are knowingly selling a defective and ultimately dangerous product you're looking at a whole different issue. A heater that stops working is a defective product, a titanium heater that explodes is a pipe bomb.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:31 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

I agree with the pipe bomb analogy. It would likely have taken my hand off if I had been holding the heater. Look what it did to someone elses tank!

That picture is from this thread - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...ro-heater.html

The first page shows a tank blown out by an exploding Stealth Pro Heater. There are several more exploding heaters throughout the thread.

Another thread can be found here:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...th-Pro-Heater&

There are so many examples of this happening. I really think it is all of these heaters. They haven't all exploded yet, but one day they may.

Last edited by abcha0s; 02-11-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:47 PM

Jackie is on a distinguished road

I guess one reason is we can not see any crack or damage on these Stealth heaters. And we handle them much more roughly than glass heaters. 300W mixing with water.

Tags
crash, exploding heater, marineland, recall, stealth pro