Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 07-16-2015, 02:57 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road
Default Tunze 6020

I'm considering getting one of these and wondered if anyone has one and what they think. I think the 6040 is the same pump but has a controller, but not sure.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:36 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I'm curious about these too, but the 6020 is only 660 gph which is really only suitable for a small, low flow tank. The 6040 is 1200 gph, but is 3x the price. I haven't used one yet, but I think unless you really need a low-profile pump for the particular space you want to put it, you can achieve the same thing using one of their regular Nanostream pumps. It seems like a really niche pump to me. Do you have a particular place you want to put it? I want to put two of them blowing down my back wall, and with the cord coming out the bottom of the pump, if I position them "upside down" the cord would go straight up and be tidy. I'm on the fence like you.

SPS fanatic.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:13 PM
busy with fresh water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I'm curious about these too, but the 6020 is only 660 gph which is really only suitable for a small, low flow tank. The 6040 is 1200 gph, but is 3x the price. I haven't used one yet, but I think unless you really need a low-profile pump for the particular space you want to put it, you can achieve the same thing using one of their regular Nanostream pumps. It seems like a really niche pump to me. Do you have a particular place you want to put it? I want to put two of them blowing down my back wall, and with the cord coming out the bottom of the pump, if I position them "upside down" the cord would go straight up and be tidy. I'm on the fence like you.
That's what I want to do with it along the back wall behind the rock work.
According to what I googled the 20&40 are basically the same pump and the 40 only comes with the controller.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
According to what I googled the 20&40 are basically the same pump and the 40 only comes with the controller.
The 6040 comes with a bigger magnet, uses more power, pushes twice as much water, has a longer cord, and comes with a controller. Note that the 6020 is only rated for 3/8" glass.

SPS fanatic.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:36 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
The 6040 is physically larger, uses more power, pushes twice as much water, has a longer cord, and comes with a controller.
But otherwise the same.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:20 AM
busy with fresh water.

Thumbs up tunze 6040

Just got a Tunze 6040 today from J&L I wanted to be able to control the flow and have options for a wave maker, this is an awesome little 12vdc pump, glad I got the controllable one, works great!
Old 07-20-2015, 03:16 PM

Awesome!

SPS fanatic.