Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-03-2015, 06:17 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhood View Post
PEX crimp tool is pretty expensive for the one small job that I would be using it for. =/
Hardware stores rent them for around $10. Some smaller ones like home hardware often even rent them for free provided you pay the deposit.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:09 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

If you don't wanna rent crimping tool use shark bite fitting they are Csa approved. Use a shark bite tee to cut into line outta that a shark bite valve 1/2 x3/8 then use a John guess 3/8x1/4 coupling this is just one Wayne doing it. the valve above in pic would be perfect but in all my years plumbing never seen that fitting for sale good luck.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:13 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

By the way if you use a compression fitting anywhere with the plastic John guess pipe you need a metal sleave inside the pipe or it will let go at some point and flood your house. It's a little 3/4 inch long brass looking piece that slides inside pipe so when you tighten fitting it does not just crush the pipe.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:24 PM

tlhood is on a distinguished road

So this is what I am dealing with in the utility room. Does it bother anyone else that the thing is crooked....

Anyways, if I can rent some pex crimpers and such for a reasonable amout, I have no issues with using those over the sharkbites.

I was hoping to put the rodi on the vertical line before the make-shift manifold they have in there, or the horizontal line below it.

I would throw in a pex x pex - comp T with a valve, and then run an extra long rodi line across to where I want to set up my water containers. I want to deal as little with the pex as possible.

In the mean time, I have my rodi plumbed in under my bathroom sink.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:58 PM

Gary is on a distinguished road

I would install a small bracket to help support that water meter. There is a lot of tension on that 90 prior to the meter.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:06 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Oh my, that mess can't have been done by a plumber?!?! What ^ Gary said. I'm kind of glad my old place is still full of copper.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:11 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Wow
Old 09-04-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Oh my, that mess can't have been done by a plumber?!?! What ^ Gary said. I'm kind of glad my old place is still full of copper.

I don't know who did it. House is 10 years old, just bought it, and the home inspector never said anything about it. I wasn't happy about it when I saw it. The more white piece of PEX on the far left is pushing it down. I tried lifting it a bit to see how much slack there was, and there wasn't a whole lot. There would be a whole lot of messing around with cutting the pex and redoing it and putting proper brackets on it.

If I can't do much myself I may have to call in a plumber =[
Old 09-04-2015, 03:36 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

That mess would drive me crazy. I'm having a hard time even looking at it. Your plan to tee off where you indicated will work just fine, but I would redo the whole thing, lol. Remember to turn off the water supply, open the highest and lowest faucets in the house and a 5 gal pail ready for when you cut the pex.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
That mess would drive me crazy. I'm having a hard time even looking at it. Your plan to tee off where you indicated will work just fine, but I would redo the whole thing, lol. Remember to turn off the water supply, open the highest and lowest faucets in the house and a 5 gal pail ready for when you cut the pex.
It's pretty messy down there. I want to get a nice manifold with valves in there too. I also need to figure out where the right line goes. I noticed in the ceiling that is Ts off in 3 directions. No clue where the other two go.

All I wanted was to hook up my RODI to a copper cold line and be done with it. Le sigh.