Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-01-2015, 02:10 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default Interesting Observation

Now, I know causation does not equal correlation(or vice versa), but this..as I've mentioned recently, I've been fighting high NO3 (>30ppm) regardless of what I do. While carbon dosing.
After thinking about what I've done, I realized that I added a UV unit just before they started to climb. Hmm. So while setting up biopellets, I decided to take it offline. Within 4 weeks, NO3 is now below 2ppm. Sure, I added pellets, but that's essentially solid vodka, chemically speaking.

I can't find any other posts about this, but that's my story, I'm sticking to it!

Last edited by Aquattro; 09-01-2015 at 02:12 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:39 AM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Makes sense. If memory serves me correctly there was an RC post/thread that listed the types of bacteria that each ingredient in VSV would grow. The vodka was probably feeding a free floating bacteria while the bio pellets had a carbon source that produced the bacteria growing on them or on any surface. Turning the UV off allowed the free floating bacteria to grow and combined with the bio pellets produced a rapid no3 drop.
If your redox had started dropping after you shut the uv off this would confirm increased bacterial load in the tank. Now you have to be careful with fish load and night time oxygen demand as bacteria consume oxygen 24/7.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:18 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Yes interesting topic, though I have to throw it out there thay nce biopellets start working they work very fast. Just make sure if you see any cyano that you remove some biopellets - too much is bad.

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:07 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Yes interesting topic, though I have to throw it out there thay nce biopellets start working they work very fast. Just make sure if you see any cyano that you remove some biopellets - too much is bad.
Thing is I have about 100ml of pellets; that didn't knock NO3 down by 28ppm in 3 weeks. Especially picking up from carbon dosing with VSV. I blame the UV
Old 09-01-2015, 01:50 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

So plug it back in and see what happens?

It's always been recommended to not use UV during any type of carbon dosing because the UV kills the bacteria which causes them to release the N and P in their cells back into the water rather than the bacteria being skimmed out alive by your skimmer.

You have the biopellet effluent going into the Intake of your skimmer, right?

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:14 PM
Just a guy..

1. Thought of that, then thought it was a bad idea

2. Didn't know that

3. More or less.

Anywho, the tank seems to be recovering nicely, PO4 and NO3 within SPS growing range, so hopefully I can pull this thing together.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:43 PM

maron6977 is on a distinguished road

That's cool info ! Had & still do have high NO3 also. Running UV 8hrs thru night .
I'll try turning it off .
I also purchased bio-pellets but haven't put it online yet .
Will let you know !!!
Old 09-01-2015, 07:21 PM
Just a guy..

Please do, I couldn't much info either way, and I'd like to not be entirely crazy.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:18 PM

Stnbrgn is on a distinguished road

I've gone through a similar situation as well, I started my tank using Prodibio but made the switch to biopellets when the prodibio couldn't handle the nitrates as I stock quite heavily. I waited the 6 to 8 weeks for the biopellets to kick in and it brought down the nitrates to 0 and kept it there, at this time I decided to run a UV terilizer 24/7 as well to help increase the redox as well as keep minor diseases at bay. While running the already established biopellets and Uv all day long, i had great success at keeping both my nitrates and phosphates at 0. However as the biopellets slowly depleted my nitrates have since risen back up, so I topped up my biopellets while still continuously running the uv 24/7. This is where I'm in the same boat as you, my nitrates have yet to drop and the topped up biopellets have been active for several weeks. I'm going to be un hooking my uv sterilizer later today to see if this will help kick start these new biopellets, then I'll continue to run my uv. I'll report back once I give it some time to kick in.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:37 PM
Just a guy..

I really didn't even want UV, but someone gave me a unit and figured what the hell. in hindsight, probably not a great plan. I saw no benefit and if it's the cause of 5 months of grief, well, I might smash it a little bit