Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 08-28-2015, 03:49 PM

tlhood is on a distinguished road
Default 1-something "moving-I-should-upgrade" reef

I recently decided that since I will be moving, and setting up my space in the developed basement, I would seize the opportunity to upgrade my tank.

I currently have an RSM 130D with retrofit LEDs, and a tunze skimmer. While it was great as a first tank (sumps were pretty daunting), I soon found it was quite small and I was pretty limited in how I wanted to set it up.

We don't get into the house until August 31, so I only have a vague idea of dimensions until I can get in there and tape it up in the space. I do know where it is going to go. Since the tank will be in the basement in close proximity to the utility room (rather than being on the second floor in a bedroom), I am going to section off part of the room (which is wonderfully massive) to have an actual space to mix and store water and my RODI system.

The plan so far is to set up a LPS/Softie dominant tank, but will probably have a few SPS. The setup will be something like:

Custom 3 sides starfire
Eurobrace
external overflow on the rear
bean animal
48WX22TX24D (subject to change) I'll upload some Sketchup awesomeness later.
metal stand which I will end up skinning myself
ATO reservoir
Fuge
And sump of unknown dimensions

I've gathered the majority of my equipment from some lovely people in the city (and in Edmonton). Only really have to buy one more light and plumbing gadgetry.

I will be starting with all new rock, probably dry pukani, and new sand.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:14 PM

maron6977 is on a distinguished road

Can I make a suggestion : you might want to consider a deeper footprint. After years of looking at other people's tanks , I love it when there is some depth (front to back).
Think about 48x30x24H !!!
Just my 2 cents
Mark
Old 08-28-2015, 07:21 PM

Actually I was originally planning to do 30 deep (coincidence!), but with the external overflow, I don't want the tank to be too far out into the room.

I will be marking tape for dimensions on the wall/floor once we get into the house - then hopefully I can decide whether I want a length of 48/60 and depth of 24/22/30. I think having a visual of the outline in the space will help (I hope!)

Too many options.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:33 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the house and good luck with your build!!! If there's anything you need for equipment, let me know as I'm still holding lots of stuff!

Cheers
Old 08-28-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
Congrats on the house and good luck with your build!!! If there's anything you need for equipment, let me know as I'm still holding lots of stuff!

Cheers
Thanks!
Old 08-31-2015, 05:19 PM

Default Possession day!

After waiting 2 months that lasted 5 hundred years, we finally got possession of the new place this morning. Unfortunately, I realized the area I was planning to put the tank has built in speaker doodadthinggymajiggies (and as such that is where the TV will end up) and limits the areas I can work with. I now have two options.

I can put the tank in the main room downstairs, however there is a huge pool table there and I am not really comfortable with pool cues moving around the aquarium. (cringe)

My second option is to put it on the wall perpendicular to where the couch will be in the media room. I wouldn't mind that, however my roommate complains incessantly about the light from the aquarium and would probably continue to do so while watching TV. I suppose I could also put it behind the couch in the media room, but I don't really want to spend that kind of $$ on a beautiful tank and stand only to half hide it behind a couch and have your back to it 99% of the time.

Decisions....
Old 08-31-2015, 06:14 PM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhood View Post
I wouldn't mind that, however my roommate complains incessantly about the light from the aquarium and would probably continue to do so while watching TV.
Easy solution...throw roomate out of new house.....just saying....
Old 08-31-2015, 07:36 PM

Default throwing out roomates

Haha if only it were that easy. Many of life's problems would be solved.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:37 PM

Default Photos!

Got into the house super late last night, but managed to snap a few photos of the room I want to put the tank in.

This is the main room that I want to put the tank in. Sorry it is so dark. The entrance to the room is pretty deep and the wall there (far left red box) is a good place, however there is currently a built in there that I would have to tear out - permission required.

The second from the left red box is my second choice, but depends on the furniture in the room and will restrict depth.

Third red box is where the roommate wants it (there will be a huge couch in front of it.) yay outlets, boo it being behind a couch.

Blue circle is where I originally planned to have it, but the sound system set up is making it a no no

Second choice spot

Behind the couch

Super awesome paint skills - throwing ideas around for a scape.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:36 PM

Default Fish List

One of the reasons I wanted to upgrade my tank was because I feel that my current take doesn't provide enough separation between territories and I have had some aggression issues (I am pretty sure it is from my clowns).

For a while there my poor firefish was being beat up pretty bad. I thought it was from my sapphire damsel, but when I put up a make shift egg crate barrier to split the tank (my damsel, my clown goby, and my watchman can all fit through), the firefish has been fine. The only guys that cant fit through are the clowns. Big bullies.

So, basically I want to try my best to ensure there are enough hidy holes and space for everyone to stake out their territories happily.

Current critters:
1 firefish
1 clown goby
1 sapphire damsel
1 watchman goby
2 black ocellaris clowns

What I would like to add:
1 Bartlett's Anthias
1 Barnacle Blenny
2 Bangai Cardinal
1 Carpenter Wrasse
1 Eibl angel