Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-25-2015, 06:46 PM

ashr is on a distinguished road
Default SPS tank - Switch from T5 to 2x Kessil A160EW - Thoughts?

Hey all

I have had to move so I sold my old tank and have all my corals over at Kellys place under his T5 lights. They were always under T5 on my old tank as well.

Now that I am in Victoria I have set up a new Nuvo 38g Mini nano with 2 A160Ew Kessils.

Just wanted to hear everyone thoughts on the transition over to these LED from the T5 lights. I also have the controller so I can change the light through the day with a max of 40% intensity.

Has anyone else switched over like this? How did your corals fare out?

Thanks!

Ashr's Tank Journal
Old 08-25-2015, 08:18 PM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

I would go with one a360w over 2 160 for a 38g tank . I went from t5's on my 3 foot tank to one 360w and the kessil looks so much better IMO .
Old 08-25-2015, 08:49 PM

ashr is on a distinguished road

I all ready bought the lights from J&L so I kinda stuck as I cannot return them very easy as I am on the island.

So with that being said.. same question haha

Ashr's Tank Journal
Old 08-25-2015, 09:38 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

I switched from led,s to a 6 bulb ATI. And back to led,s. My sps never missed beat because of the lighting. I kept my led,s lower intensity to start then raised it a bit every week or so.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:35 PM
Vendor

xenon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to xenon

I've tried EcoTech Radions, Ai Hydra 52, GHL Mitras 6200 and none of them produce the same effortless coloration than I can get with metal halides.

I am not alone. There are endless threads on RC and there seems to be something SPS are missing from LED spectrum.

I will be the first to make the switch to LED once its proven. You should see my power bills. lol
Old 08-26-2015, 12:58 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Sanjay Joshi grows crazy SPS under LEDs. He has some magic potion I think - maybe unicorn poop. Until I can find some I'll stick with T5. All my clients have LED and I am still not on board.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:56 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Sanjay Joshi grows crazy SPS under LEDs. He has some magic potion I think - maybe unicorn poop. Until I can find some I'll stick with T5. All my clients have LED and I am still not on board.
I am not saying LED's don't work for SPS. There are plenty of examples online.

Growth is easy. Coloration is a whole different story.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:39 AM
Han Solo

Ram3500 is an unknown quantity at this point

I must chime in 😀 sps coloration is based on keeping steady ideal parameters over months if not years. Lighting has little to do with coloration. Yes you can get coral pop with high k lighting but your corals will still be brown if your nitrate is to high and phosphates are detectable. If you can get coral pop under 10k led mh or t5 than you are approaching mastery.
My experience is with the 360we over two years now but on a smaller tank I am sure you will be surprised with you 160ew
Old 08-26-2015, 11:56 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram3500 View Post
I must chime in 😀 sps coloration is based on keeping steady ideal parameters over months if not years. Lighting has little to do with coloration. Yes you can get coral pop with high k lighting but your corals will still be brown if your nitrate is to high and phosphates are detectable. If you can get coral pop under 10k led mh or t5 than you are approaching mastery.
My experience is with the 360we over two years now but on a smaller tank I am sure you will be surprised with you 160ew
I've always maintained roughly the same parameters on our 600g SPS system.

Specific gravity: 1.025-1.026 (calibrated refractometer)
Calcium: 410-420ppm (Salifert)
Alkalinity: 8-9dKH (Hanna Checker)
Magnesium: 1350-1400 (Salifert)
Nitrate: 1ppm (Salifert)
Phosphate: 0-0.02ppm (Hanna Checker HI 736)
Potassium: 400ppm (Salifert)

Lighting made such a massive difference when I switched from LED to MH, it was downright shocking.

There are so many variables when it comes to LED like the color temps, and intensities that maybe I was never able to find the right settings.

I had the most success with EcoTech Radions but they were not very forgiving. The second I would make a mistake with water quality, I would loose color.

Recently, I experimented with dosing Potassium Nitrate to my system to see what would happen to my SPS with elevated levels of nitrates. I slowly brought it up to 25ppm and very little changed. My SPS got a little deeper in color but that was about it. The other side-effect was algae, even with ultra low levels of phosphates.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:16 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram3500 View Post
If you can get coral pop under 10k led mh or t5 than you are approaching mastery.
This describes Sanjay. That man can grow SPS like nobody's business! It doesn't matter which light he uses he grows colonies out of frags in months, and color to die for. Unicorn poop I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Recently, I experimented with dosing Potassium Nitrate to my system to see what would happen to my SPS with elevated levels of nitrates. I slowly brought it up to 25ppm and very little changed. My SPS got a little deeper in color but that was about it. The other side-effect was algae, even with ultra low levels of phosphates.
Holy crap! Most people use nitrate dosing to achieve trace amounts of nitrate or maybe up to 5 ppm, not 25 ppm! Why did you go so high? How long did you elevate it for? I dose Sodium nitrate to achieve 0.2-0.5 ppm nitrate.

SPS fanatic.