Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

damn those tank builders and their time taking

cant wait to see the end result
Old 07-31-2015, 04:31 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmin View Post
Interesting. I gotta ask. If its not something the end user can apply then how would we make use of it. I can't see manufacturers wanting something that prolongs the life of their product. Just like the auto industry now. Everything has a lifesan then throw it away and buy new. When I started in the plumbing trade I remember pulling out 50+ year old water heaters. Now they last about 10 to 15 years.
It's not something that will really increase the life of a product unless a user is really letting their equipment get gunked up which causes wear and failures. I see this coating as decreasing the work needed for maintenance and also combatting the decreases in performance you may see as coralline algae grows and blocks things. But motors on pumps will still fail or impellers wear out or heaters electronics etc will still fail etc. The manufacturers will still be able to sell you replacement products. they will just sell you products that require less frequent cleaning. Or aquariums where you don't have to scrape coralline algae off your glass. That's the goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit.fire View Post
damn those tank builders and their time taking

cant wait to see the end result
Yup Tyler. Had to harass them to get it done
Old 08-01-2015, 02:03 AM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road

Thanks for clarifying. Makes good sense to me.
300 Gal 6x3x28 high Starphire peninsula w/external herbie/bean animal hybrid +150 Gal custom sump with 30gal fuge section, (both built by Concept Aquariums Calgary), 3x Ecotech Radion xr30w g2's(soon to be G3 Pros), Jebao DCT 12000 return pump, 2x Jebao RW 20 powerheads, Tunze Ato, Vertex ro/di, Reef Octopus Ext 200 skimmer run internally.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:49 PM

Now about 3 months in and things are looking better. Here's a few quick crappy pics. Will try to get better ones later...

Old 08-31-2015, 08:09 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

Look promising are u doing any tests to make sure nothing leaking into to the water or once its bonded is it "sealed" per say. If this works long term something you should take to the powerhead makers to get them to put on as they are being manufactured
Old 09-02-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdillman View Post
Look promising are u doing any tests to make sure nothing leaking into to the water or once its bonded is it "sealed" per say. If this works long term something you should take to the powerhead makers to get them to put on as they are being manufactured
Will be doing long term testing. But this is something that is covalently bound to the surface (a very strong chemical bond) so it shouldn't leach off. And if it does slowly over rime the amounts would be miniscule. The coating is meant for medical devices such as dialysis equipment that is in contact with patient's blood so toxicity would be a major issue there. I'm not at all worried.

The plan is to license this to all sorts of equipment manufacturers.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:10 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

Ah ok cool
Old 09-28-2015, 08:47 PM

OK, here's some better pictures as of today. Uncoated first and then the coated pump. I'm contemplating a kickstarter project to fund a batch of coated Jebao powerbeads so not sure what the interest in that might be? Any thoughts? Would you guys pony up in advance on Kickstarter to get these?