Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-30-2015, 08:36 PM

rishu_pepper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Luckily, no one is beating down the door, lol.

Everything looks good with the tank, and I'm happy to help. The important thing is that you are able to access your sump better, and there are no leaks... there are no leaks right?
No leaks indeed. Very happy about that.

Need to get rid of some more live rock though, that refugium is packed lol. Lemme know when you wanna come grab some.

Still need to set up the doser, have been really lax about it. LPS has seen some growth but really want to get the params all perfect to get SPS in there.

Brian
Old 05-30-2015, 08:58 PM

Wretch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishu_pepper View Post
No leaks indeed. Very happy about that.

Need to get rid of some more live rock though, that refugium is packed lol. Lemme know when you wanna come grab some.

Still need to set up the doser, have been really lax about it. LPS has seen some growth but really want to get the params all perfect to get SPS in there.
Don't be afraid the sticks dont bite. Go see Ryan in white rock and get some of his sps. Nice stuff great prices.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretch View Post
Don't be afraid the sticks dont bite. Go see Ryan in white rock and get some of his sps. Nice stuff great prices.
Joe I did sorta follow your advice; I got a free frag of red digi from Snailpuffer (from purchasing Sunny Ds from her yesterday), I'll see how it does in the tank. At the moment it's in low/mid-tank with good flow, PE is meh but the colour is there.

I really hoped to start dosing soon but last month of school I have a lot on my plate so that might be on hold until July. Just did a 20% WC yesterday so things are doing fine for now.

Slowly my hammer frags are leaving my tank, hooray for profit Still several left, trade me stuff, guys!

Brian
Old 09-01-2015, 07:23 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Haven't looked in on this thread in a while. The new tank looks awesome. Very beautiful & healthy. Great job you two.

Anthony
Old 09-01-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
Haven't looked in on this thread in a while. The new tank looks awesome. Very beautiful & healthy. Great job you two.

Anthony
Thanks for the kind words, Anthony. Haven't seen you in a while! If you are in the area, gimme a shout if you wanna drop by and see the tank.

I completely forgot about updating the thread. It's been up and down these past few months. I battled a bad breakout of cyano for a couple months, but now it's getting under control with the combination of A-Balance and CyanoClean ($$$ combo, but can't argue with results). Unfortunately, a combination of things (July heat wave, unexplained alk drop, cyano, X-files stuff, etc.) had taken quite a few of my prized corals. The last couple months I've probably lost a couple hundred dollar worth of corals, while some others continue to thrive and grow, so who knows what's going on.

For the longest time I hadn't added fish until the last two weeks, where 3 PJ cardinals (easiest fish to accommodate, they just stick to their little area in the back), a male squareback anthias (amazing colours on this guy, I'd like to eventually add a couple more females for it, currently eating well), and a copperband butterfly (a big guy 4"-5" straight from the importer, eating frozen blood worm and frozen mussel, after a week of cave seclusion it is now happily exploring and hunting out all the time, though the smaller yellow tang sometimes chases it around for no reason other than being a jerk). Pictures to follow.

Plans for new fish are inbound. A Marine betta, yellowhead jawfish, and bluethroat trigger(s) are on the wish list at the moment.

Brian
Old 09-01-2015, 06:51 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

How are those dendro heads doing that you picked up from me at the frag swap? Hope they're doing well for you. I love dendros but nobody local seems to have any available, so may be ordering in some. Need some for my main tank now.

Anthony
Old 09-01-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
How are those dendro heads doing that you picked up from me at the frag swap? Hope they're doing well for you. I love dendros but nobody local seems to have any available, so may be ordering in some. Need some for my main tank now.

Anthony
Since we've been trying to battle cyano, we fed pretty sparingly, especially for corals, so they haven't seen much growth, but hopefully with this cyano problem now all but gone, we'll be able to feed a bit more often.

Dendros are lovely corals, super easy and striking appearance. Always in high demand, as they should be.

Brian
Old 09-23-2015, 07:08 PM

Sadly, the squareback has passed a couple weeks ago. It stopped eating and just withered away. Devastating, because it was such a beautiful fish. Not sure if we want to try one again but not in the next couple months anyway.

We did add a couple of bluethroat triggers about 10 days ago. Initially the pair (male and female, about 3", female slightly bigger) would always be in their hidey holes at the overflow end of the tank. Lately they've been venturing out but as soon as they see human on the side of the tank they dart back to the rocks lol, so we have to feed pellets on the other end, let them float to their end and they will eat happily. Such funny looking fish, hoping they will come out more as they get comfortable. First day in the yellow tang bullied the male a bit and hurt his fins but now they just mind their own business.

Brian
Old 09-23-2015, 07:29 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

I need to come by and check it out, maybe pick up some hammer frags while I'm there.

P.S. Happy Birthday!
Old 09-23-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
I need to come by and check it out, maybe pick up some hammer frags while I'm there.

P.S. Happy Birthday!
You're welcome any time, my friend. Maybe the triggers will like your handsome mug and come out to greet you

And thank you for the birthday wishes. I don't ask for much, just a Blue Jays world series win maybe

Brian