Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-13-2014, 01:13 AM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill@IA View Post
Wayne, were you expecting a response from me?? If so, then PM me what you are up to because I have 3 messages here, 2 from Adam and 1 from you, telling me you were happy with the group order, looked forward to the Blue Efflo replacements, and thanking me for my professionalism. There are no messages from you since then and nothing with the tone or with what you are insinuating here.
Bill, no need to get your panties tied up in a knot. I have never accused you of anything. I had even thank you for jumping in. No one attacked you so sit down.
I was merely saying no other vendors or other people jumping in to share their thoughts. Over all, I am still happy with the order ( well at least until now) and I didn't fault you. You completed the order with professionalism however you jumping on me and calling me out isnt. I don't need to pm you in the rr frags as I am only sharing my thoughts on RR corals and not how you do business. If you wish to take this personally then I can't help you.
ATI 48" 3x75W LED with 8x54W T5, 2xTunze 6105, 2 x Maxspect Gyre XF150, Bubble King Mini 200 ( soon to be replaced by a Bubble King SM 200), Eheim 1262, Via Aqua 300 watt Titanium heater, JBJ ATO, Apex Controller
Old 10-13-2014, 01:31 AM
Vendor

Bill@IA is on a distinguished road

Great. :big grin: You can never tell with words on a screen what is really going on.

That said, there really is no grapevine or secret to Reef Rafts SPS. Sure they get their SPS from the ocean like everybody else but that is where the similarity ends. Jay and Jenson are able to be very selective right where the collection begins and from there they do a terrific job applying the necessary conditions to bring out the colours they see. They use lots of Metal Halide and T5s.
Lucky locals get to see many of these colonies in person and for the most part they really do get amazing stuff………..seriously. Collecting them and working at keeping those colours while aqua culturing these beauties is a lot of fun and a great challenge to me.

Check us out on Facebook. You don't need Facebook to enjoy our Facebook Page. Just click on the link: https://www.facebook.com/IncredibleAquarium

Old 10-13-2014, 02:36 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
They use lots of Metal Halide and T5s.
uh-oh, now you're gonna set Wayne off (sorry, inside joke)
Old 12-05-2014, 05:19 AM

Werbo is on a distinguished road

So... 5 years from now what RR pieces will stand the test of time as "must have" tried and true winners that every sps collector will have in their collection? For example, what RR piece(s) will be the next ORA Red Planet, Hawkins Enchinata, Orange Setosa or Cali Tort?

Last edited by Werbo; 12-05-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:45 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Great. :big grin: You can never tell with words on a screen what is really going on.

That said, there really is no grapevine or secret to Reef Rafts SPS. Sure they get their SPS from the ocean like everybody else but that is where the similarity ends. Jay and Jenson are able to be very selective right where the collection begins and from there they do a terrific job applying the necessary conditions to bring out the colours they see. They use lots of Metal Halide and T5s.
Lucky locals get to see many of these colonies in person and for the most part they really do get amazing stuff………..seriously. Collecting them and working at keeping those colours while aqua culturing these beauties is a lot of fun and a great challenge to me.
Your right.. Bill I found that the colors are very dependent on conditions. If you look at Jay's tanks his halides are inches from the water surface.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:16 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
Your right.. Bill I found that the colors are very dependent on conditions. If you look at Jay's tanks his halides are inches from the water surface.
Indeed they are. That is the reason why I added IAS in front of the RR Acro named pieces on our website from day one. I can prove lineage on all my pieces, from original Colony to Frag to New IAS RR Colony/Frag but I couldn't guarantee they were going to look exactly the same after being under my lights in my water conditions for an extended period. (Or yours)

Check us out on Facebook. You don't need Facebook to enjoy our Facebook Page. Just click on the link: https://www.facebook.com/IncredibleAquarium

Old 12-06-2014, 02:48 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

After viewing everyone's photos in here, and numerous photos on other threads (and other forums, etc), there is one thing that really stands out to me, and it has to do with the photo people post of the corals mounted in their system. In my experience, SPS coloring is HIGHLY dependent on the amount of nutrients in the water - particularly low, but measurable amounts of nitrate. We all talk about lowering nutrients all the time. However, SPS get color saturation from many things, but one of those things is nitrate from my experiences.

When I look at photos of Reef Raft corals (other SPS too generally) and I can see other corals in the system I can tell by reasonable guess how much nitrate is in the system. OR, it is a system with undetectable nitrate that is fed heavily either by high fish load (lots of fish poop) or feeding SPS directly with small micron foods (powders or liquids). My opinion, is that SPS are the most visually appealing when the tank has as much food in it as the tank can handle without having algae trouble.

Of course, I'm not always right about this, these are animals we're talking about in systems that are anything but alike, so there are MANY variables. Though in my experience, this is certainly a trend.

Here are some photos - the "low nutrient" photos were taken in spring 2011, and the "medium nutrient" photos were taken in winter 2013. These are in the same system, same bulbs (same amount of use on them at the time of photos), etc. Of course these are only a few photos, but take a look at your own tank, at others', and see for yourself.

Here is a piece in my system when the system had undectable nitrate and low fish load:

The same exact same piece in the same system when nitrate was barely detectable, fish load was higher, and I was feeding the corals:

This is Acropora desalwii in low nutrients:

The same exact same piece in the same system when nitrate was barely detectable, fish load was higher, and I was feeding the corals:

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 12-06-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Vendor

Default Myka's Post

Bingo. You said it perfectly, and that is what I like about SPS. It is all about finding that choice piece and bringing out, or keeping, the colours.
This can also be about finding a hidden gem. i.e. Taking an ordinary SPS colony or frag and bringing out more colour.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:44 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Bingo. You said it perfectly, and that is what I like about SPS. It is all about finding that choice piece and bringing out, or keeping, the colours.
Yes. Those guys have SPS talent! I don't think the photos are adjusted significantly. I've seen some of these pieces at the Reef Raft booth at MACNA 2013 in person. Those guys know how to color up SPS. That's all there is to it. They could make a brown SPS look like the next best thing. This is the trouble with the Reef Raft stuff - most people do not have the talent they do, and thus their RR pieces just do not look like the photos.

I think if people are disappointed in their RR pieces they should be disappointed in their own ability, not the actual coral. From what I've seen, some of the RR pieces are more difficult than others - like the Diablo. If you want something easy to color up, buy a Sunset Monti. I would LOVE to test my own ability with a RR Diablo in my own "medium nutrient" tank, but I don't want to pay that much for an experiment.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:27 PM
Life Partner

shrimp is on a distinguished road

I definitely agree with your thoughts on colours/nutrient levels.