Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-10-2011, 01:57 AM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

I don't think it matters what you inject them with - kalk, vinegar, liquid calcium, strontium - anything that's toxic to them when injected but reef-friendly should do the trick. I inject them when they're small and make sure I inject all the way in. It might take two or three injections to kill them dead so they detach and can be removed from the tank. Powerheads off, of course.

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 12-10-2011, 02:09 AM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
I have a file fish that doesn't eat them, I have peppermint shrimp that don't eat them.
My tank was totally infested with hundreds of aiptasia,... everywhere.... I got a Copperband, but he wouldn't touch them. Then I got a couple Pearlscales, and after a few weeks, they started to pick at them.

Three months later, you couldn't find any aiptasia in my tank. And what's great also, the Pearlscales taught the Copperband to eat them, too, and he started hunting them as well, and helped clean them out of the deeper holes with his longer beak.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:16 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

I'm convinced you'll never really get rid of them until you get yourself an Aiptasia-eating critter. I've been fighting them in my 90g since day 1; I swear I've used every method there is, (kalk paste, Joe's Juice, Aiptasia-X, boiling water, lemon juice, sodium hydroxide, epoxy, and the zapper). I can keep the population down but if I don't keep at them constantly they just come back with a vengeance.
I have a CBB in the 225g who has a taste for them and haven't had a problem since I got him. I move smaller rock infested with the little bastards from the 90 to the big tank and within days he has eaten them all............. I love that little yellow guy!
Old 12-10-2011, 02:23 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

How long do you have the copperband? Usually what we hear is that they eat all the aiptasias and then die. I am wondering if it is not toxic for them and slowly kill them?

Mine does not touch any aiptasia and I have him for a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
I have a CBB in the 225g who has a taste for them and haven't had a problem since I got him. I move smaller rock infested with the little bastards from the 90 to the big tank and within days he has eaten them all............. I love that little yellow guy!
Old 12-10-2011, 02:31 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

I got it from a fellow reefer in May 2009. How long she had it for I don't know. It eats all fresh or frozen meaty foods but will not touch flakes or pellets.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:35 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

I bought a CBB from a fellow reefer and damn it's got an apatite for apitasia & those little white feather dusters ( had thousands ) I have a zapper for my FOWLR & office tank, tried the kalk paste & apitasia X as well but nothing is as good as Buckbeek( my CBB ).

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 12-10-2011, 02:59 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Sorry to have mislead you guys. Seems I have to wait 48 hrs to make a call. Half of the buggers survived the crazy glue @#$%!
Old 12-10-2011, 03:02 AM

Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
I bought a CBB from a fellow reefer and damn it's got an apatite for apitasia & those little white feather dusters ( had thousands ) I have a zapper for my FOWLR & office tank, tried the kalk paste & apitasia X as well but nothing is as good as Buckbeek( my CBB ).

I've been patiently waiting to find a CBB that's eating in stores, I haven't had any luck so far.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:12 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
I've been patiently waiting to find a CBB that's eating in stores, I haven't had any luck so far.
I tried one from LFS, it was eating just fine for them but then to move it to my bag arse tank full of crazy arse tangs it just would not eat. The one I have now will even eat a pellet if it is the small ones, it swims around the tank with it half way in its mouth sucking like a jaw breaker.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 12-10-2011, 03:14 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
I'm convinced you'll never really get rid of them until you get yourself an Aiptasia-eating critter.
I agree. Actually this is even more true than you might think; even with an aiptaisa eating critter they are never really eradicated; they are just constantly eaten so you don't see them. Seen it twice now where removal of the aiptasia-eater just saw the aiptasia bounce back within a few weeks (even if nothing was added).

If injection is the method of choice, feed them first with some mysis. They engorge themselves and then it's harder to retreat into the ittybitty holes (they still will but at least it slows them down some).