Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-13-2011, 08:21 PM

BigAl07 is on a distinguished road

Agree or not that's entirely up to you and at the end of the day I'll respect your opinion about it.

think about it.. we're applying large amounts of water along side large amounts of electricity. That has a very strong degree of danger to it. Yes there are safety precautions in place to keep us from getting severely shocked but in the same sense I feel like you're majorly over-playing the dangers of the laser. It's not a toy and it's not something to be left laying around the house for someone else to play with. Also note that the poor guy who suffered the injury was NOT wearing safety goggles and he was not practicing safe laser handling techniques.

Fact of the matter is almost anything can be dangerous if not treated with respect and the proper safety procedures aren't in place this just happens to be a new one on the reefing scene. If you find it's too dangerous for your own personal use I respect that. For many of us a 1w laser is no more dangerous than some of the electrical wiring tangles I've witnessed under tanks with salt water dripping/spilling and corroding the connections. It's all about being safe regardless what particular reefing activity you're up to.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I did all the wiring in my basement. Personally, I can guarantee that this is safer for me lol.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:36 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl07 View Post
Agree or not that's entirely up to you and at the end of the day I'll respect your opinion about it.

think about it.. we're applying large amounts of water along side large amounts of electricity. That has a very strong degree of danger to it. Yes there are safety precautions in place to keep us from getting severely shocked but in the same sense I feel like you're majorly over-playing the dangers of the laser. It's not a toy and it's not something to be left laying around the house for someone else to play with. Also note that the poor guy who suffered the injury was NOT wearing safety goggles and he was not practicing safe laser handling techniques.

Fact of the matter is almost anything can be dangerous if not treated with respect and the proper safety procedures aren't in place this just happens to be a new one on the reefing scene. If you find it's too dangerous for your own personal use I respect that. For many of us a 1w laser is no more dangerous than some of the electrical wiring tangles I've witnessed under tanks with salt water dripping/spilling and corroding the connections. It's all about being safe regardless what particular reefing activity you're up to.
I completely agree. I guess the real problem is that so many people don't respect proper safety precautions, or don't realize how important they are. Like I mentioned, more than anything I just hope there's enough posts to the effect of 'this could really, really hurt you' peppered amongst the 'on man lasers are cool' (an opinion I happen to share) threads to give someone who might be impulsive about it pause. I get probably 80% of my info on reef tank news, developments, practices, etc. from forums, I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

I won't be buying one cuz I don't want to take that risk (and hopefully, on my next tank I won't need to). I'd probably pay someone who had proper training one to come over and work on my tank when I wasn't home though, and ask them to video the whole thing so I could watch those little nasties fry with some popcorn and a nice bottle of wine.

Now I'm gonna go find Buzz Killington and give him his soap box back.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:47 PM

Nano is on a distinguished road

wow some of you guys have some real horror stories!! I guess I have been lucky in that department so far. I had a manjo, and about 10 aiptasia, all on one piece of LR when I was first cycling the tank, I almost thought of just removing the rock, until I noticed, there were about 6-8 more through our on other rocks, So i had heard of aiptasia x, but couldnt find any at that time, so I went with tropic marine aiptasia killer. it said to inject it directly into the polyp.. well if you've ever tried this, you know its next to impossible, I managed to get one this way but the rest would suck inside themselves. so I just stabbed the Sh*t out of them with the needle while they were close and filled them with the tropic marine, havent had an aiptasia in 3 month except one on a frag of zoo's recently, no that one I was scared to inject for fear of killing the zoo's but I was lucky to get the aiptasia only in this instance. nasty little buggers. but so far I count myself lucky!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanomano View Post
so I just stabbed the Sh*t out of them with the needle while they were close and filled them with the tropic marine
you sir, need a job writing the instructions on these products
Old 12-13-2011, 08:51 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

I'm usually one that jumps on the new and latest. Not this time, i'm going to sit back and wait for one of the members on this site to try it first. Who's it going to be?
Old 12-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Gold Member

somebody with more money than me.

to which life's search engine is saying "Please narrow your search... returned too many results"...
Old 12-13-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
you sir, need a job writing the instructions on these products
lol yes blunt and to the point thats what I figured the pests deserved though as sadistic as it is
Old 12-13-2011, 09:17 PM

Money pit is on a distinguished road

Once the aiptasia are dead, you can always get your kicks by frying the claws off hitchhiker crabs Wait for them to molt and do over
Old 12-13-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money pit View Post
Once the aiptasia are dead, you can always get your kicks by frying the claws off hitchhiker crabs Wait for them to molt and do over
And I thought what I said was sadistic!!