Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-04-2018, 04:00 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEAPREEF View Post
Would def watch out running one of these, the LED's wrapped around acrylic have been known to cause stress cracks and eventually fractures. The don't generate a lot of heat but when it's pressed directly onto the surface like that it is focused enough to be a issue.
Interesting...haven't had any troubles with that using different reactors and lights.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:22 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Hmm... is this maybe a one off or a consistent pattern with age. I see many online vendors using the AquaMaxx reactor with the led strips wrapping it. The Pax Bellum is way out of budget for me on an algae reactor. I have been considering one of these algae reactors but value what other have to say.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:57 PM

CHEAPREEF is on a distinguished road

So it's been 2 weeks and no return of the white slime or the buildup in the pipes. I can't be 100% what it was yet but I am leaning towards a build up of VOC's in the water.
I am going to start adding stuff I stopped doing slowly every 4-5 days see if anything triggers a return, other than the AA's and Bacteria I no longer feel the need to dose those as the tank has been perfectly fine without either.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:02 AM

Well that’s great! I stopped with the NOPOX and the slime faded. Unfortunately with only chaeto my nutrients were climbing out of range. I started dosing straight vinegar as my carbon source at 15ml. I will monitor and see if the slime returns with solely vinegar.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Would def watch out running one of these, the LED's wrapped around acrylic have been known to cause stress cracks and eventually fractures. The don't generate a lot of heat but when it's pressed directly onto the surface like that it is focused enough to be a issue.
I was just thinking...are those cases from people using bare LED strips? I use the "waterproof" ones that have a silicone covering so the silicone is what touches the acrylic, not the LED itself.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
So it's been 2 weeks and no return of the white slime or the buildup in the pipes. I can't be 100% what it was yet but I am leaning towards a build up of VOC's in the water.
I am going to start adding stuff I stopped doing slowly every 4-5 days see if anything triggers a return, other than the AA's and Bacteria I no longer feel the need to dose those as the tank has been perfectly fine without either.
VOCs? Volatile Organic Compounds? I think you mean something else?

I still vote that the slime was excess bacteria from liquid carbon dosing.

Good luck with resuming dosing.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
VOCs? Volatile Organic Compounds? I think you mean something else?

I still vote that the slime was excess bacteria from liquid carbon dosing.

Good luck with resuming dosing.
No I mean VOC's.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/i...-menace.86535/
Old 02-15-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I was just thinking...are those cases from people using bare LED strips? I use the "waterproof" ones that have a silicone covering so the silicone is what touches the acrylic, not the LED itself.
I have been looking in to this a bunch. Many vendors are still selling the reactor packages with the led lights wrapped around. I’m wondering if this happens over time as the acrylic gets older, constantly being heat up and cooled. I’m not sure, the reactors used most often are the AquaMaxx though.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoKoMan View Post
I have been looking in to this a bunch. Many vendors are still selling the reactor packages with the led lights wrapped around. I’m wondering if this happens over time as the acrylic gets older, constantly being heat up and cooled. I’m not sure, the reactors used most often are the AquaMaxx though.
Yes that is exactly what it is heat/stress over time. And you'll see it on the AquaMaxx, TLF and the like reactors first as they would most likely be using extruded acrylic where the higher end will use Cast. Both will eventually stress crack from the heat/cooling stress.

Most actual Algae reactors coming out now are the center lite versions with a heatsink running LEDS ran inside a center tube. No heat issues as the heatsink removes that issue. I was planning on doing a DIY version of one of these since it would be super easy, but I have no need for any nutrient export. I actually dose nirtates to keep them detectable.

https://reefbuilders.com/2015/11/12/...-chaetomorpha/
Old 02-16-2018, 09:58 AM

Those setups are so sweet with the internal light tube but so pricey. I have a ball of chaeto in my sump right now but haven’t saw any growth out of it really. How long does chaeto normal take to see noticeable growth with nitrate and phosphates present?

I’m jealous that you need to dose nitrates. I’m hoping with the upgrade in tank that my bioload is reduced a bit that it lowers in the water volume. Otherwise I will have to stick to the chaeto and vinegar dosing.

Tags
slime