Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-27-2008, 10:05 PM

atcguy is on a distinguished road
Default No filter socks>> anyone doing this??

Well I went from two filter socks in my sump to just 1 now and am even considering eliminating them all together now.. Anyone else not use them.. I think they are a bit of nitrate factories... I am using ultralith system and my water is clear with no particles in water.. I have had no ill effects after dropping one of them.... please let me know what you think./.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:08 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcguy View Post
Well I went from two filter socks in my sump to just 1 now and am even considering eliminating them all together now.. Anyone else not use them.. I think they are a bit of nitrate factories... I am using ultralith system and my water is clear with no particles in water.. I have had no ill effects after dropping one of them.... please let me know what you think./.
I don't bother using them, detritus is just another food source for all the little microscopic critters

Which explains why I have so many hydroids

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 04-27-2008, 10:59 PM

ferret is on a distinguished road

I don't think the filter sock will become a nitrate factory if you replace them at regular basis. I replace mine one a week when I perform the regular water change.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:01 AM

Drock169 is on a distinguished road

I agree with ferret. Although I replace mine every couple days because of my bioload.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:56 AM

Railskinner is on a distinguished road
Default sock

ive being using one a while now i think they are great, change mine out every 3 days, i thought i seen a thread somewhere , for and order, i wouldn't mind getting a few more.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:07 AM

surgeonfish is on a distinguished road

It was me that ordered some from the US. They have not arrived yet. So far they have all been spoken for, but if there are any left I will post. Also, I may order again in the future and I give everyone plenty of warning on Canreef.
300 gal starphire custom built in pentagon reef (+90 gal sump on Blue Line 100 HD return pump, 210lb LR, Euro-Reef RC250 skimmer, 2x400W MH, 2x28W compacts, 2xTurbelle classic 4002 pumps & Turbelle Stream 6100 on 7095 Multicontroller, running ZEOvit)

Livestock
Fish: damsels; sailfin, yellow, regal & naso tangs; ocellaris & tomato clowns; lyretail anthias; foxface lo; flame angelfish
corals: a few
Old 04-28-2008, 06:13 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I have one tank that uses them. The way I have the sump setup, it's quite a PITA to swap out. They have helped polish the water some, but the main reason I have them is to compensate for a bad original sump plan that included way too powerful a pump and thus there are terrible microbubbles in the tank without the sock.

Honestly I think I would do away with them if I could. I also hate that I'm a bleeding heart and sit there for 5 minutes picking out copepods, worms, brittle stars, and chitons to toss them back in the tank, which makes changing the socks out even more of a chore.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:13 AM

hecks220 is on a distinguished road
Smile

I really like the filter socks, but they require quite a bit of maintenance for me. I wash mine out twice weekly...

65g/20g reef system, Euro RS-80, 2x tunze 6055, mod 6025, mag7, 250 HQI w/192 actinics, 100 lbs. LR
46g FOWLR
Old 04-28-2008, 06:52 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

ya I had the same problem lots of little critters are getting caught in them like the baby brittle stars i have millions of them in the tank. they do work well catching the crap in the over flow. but really if you are cleaning your sump on a regular period then you dont need them..
Old 04-28-2008, 02:41 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

I just started using a filter sock about 5 months ago. I use one on 1 of my 2 outlets. IMO it make less maintenance for the tank. Way less crud to siphon in the sump and tank. I also feel it was an important part in beating a red carpet algae I've been battling for years. Water looks great, I don't think I can ever take it out now.