Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-15-2007, 03:59 AM

spoot is on a distinguished road

Hey joe, How do you keep the pipes on the rim like that? Any strapping?
Old 12-15-2007, 04:14 AM

JoelV is on a distinguished road

I just cut it tight so it would lie on the inside lip, I'm still thinking on how to fasten it. it sits pretty good maybe just a little Velcro or something, i still have to connect the flex hose to it ill see how it sits then.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:47 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Looks good.

For securing the pipe can use the square pads like in post 12 in this thread and zipties. Can use silicone to hold the pads in-place.

What's the eggcrating for?
Old 12-15-2007, 05:13 AM

I was advised to put egg crating in to protect the bottom glass from possible breakage from the live rock hitting it also to help give support and stability to the reef. Stop sand sifting fish that could undermine the reef or expose the bottom.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:21 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelV View Post
I was advised to put egg crating in to protect the bottom glass from possible breakage from the live rock hitting it also to help give support and stability to the reef. Stop sand sifting fish that could undermine the reef or expose the bottom.
its in there now, so you might as-well use it, to stop sand diggers from knocking things over you just put the rock in before the sand, or just move the sand over when you put the rock in. But ya you already did the work to cut it might as well use it.

I also wanted to say I stopped by the store the other day to look at the set up, it is going to be nice, and it looks a lot bigger in person. also saw some new ballasts that kinda intrigued me, digital ballasts instead of just electronic.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:25 PM

Ya those ballasts are so cool. they are newest technology and are selling hard in the hydroponics industry! pretty soon all the large Aquatic outlets will have them. Here is a link to the Canadian website.

http://www.lumatek.ca
Old 12-17-2007, 01:46 AM

Cameron is on a distinguished road

Looks good Joel,
I might have some time tomorrow to drop off those frags,
Old 12-19-2007, 02:53 AM

I did what Mark suggested earlier in this thread and used pull straps with the square sticky pad things I had cut the pads in half so they would fit nice in the rim, I also place a piece of black doormat style carpet between the tank and stand as I was adviced to do so by H20 (Seastar).
Most the plumbing is done, Im just waiting now for the Pump and the loc-line fittings to show up. I put in insert adaptors just till i get the loc-line as you can see in the picture. The Tank is filling up over night with water from the R.O unit its a 100 gpd so shouldn't be full by the time I get there in the morning I hope.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:19 AM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

I notice your tank has only one cross brace in the centre. Is the tank eurobraced also? It doesn't look like it. I have two SeaStar 180s (both 72x24x24). They insisted I get two cross braces spaced apart or they would not warranty the tanks. No biggie as I'm fine with the way they are. Particularly my Reef as a centre brace would conflict with the Aqualight MH lights I eventually bought.
Just wondering.....did they change their warranty policy?

Cheers,
Old 12-19-2007, 04:22 AM

I didn't like how the skim boxes stuck so far out into the tank with the euro bracing so I went with the cross bracing. I was only told not to have any HID light directly over the brace. I wanted to use two 400's to light the tank. so the brace would not be in the way. I could see having two brace's in your case if you were to use 3 250's there was no mention of two braces nor non warranty issues.