Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Victoria Blue World Aquariums

Old 03-16-2012, 05:58 AM
Vendor

Blue World Aquariums is on a distinguished road

These are all of the reviews for the Kessil A150W on MD. Currently 5 out of 5 stars based on 24 reviews!

led lights

by THOMAS HYATT
Excellent!

Posted: 3/8/2012 from ARMA, KS UNITED STATES Experience Level: Intermediate

Comments: great lights with awsome shimmer effects makes the tank look alot better

1 of 1 People found this review helpful, did you? Yes No

Incredible LED Package

by JPowell
Excellent!

Posted: 3/5/2012 from TN Experience Level: Expert

Comments: I purchased 2 of the Sky Blue (10k) to replace my WavePoint 4 bulb, T5. Within 48 hours, corals that were not extended fully, came out. I purchased the goose necks with these as well. They will hang on a normal tank with the rim around it. The 10k are still a bit blue, the shimmer is the best I have ever seen. No heat output of course, the fans are so quite you have to put your ear up to the light to hear them. These lights are smaller than a can of soda. I will never go back to T5's or Metal Halide's. 2 of these is plenty for any corals in a 48" aquarium (55,75 gallon)

3 of 3 People found this review helpful, did you? Yes No

Kessil A150W 15K

by D MORGAN
Excellent!

Posted: 3/4/2012 from SHAWNEE, KS UNITED STATES Experience Level: Intermediate

Comments: Could not be happier with these lights... Using 2 units on my 46 Bow, plenty of light top to bottom, and I love the Ocean Blue 15K. Colors of corals and fish just pop! Though I did initially try combining 10K and 15K, after couple months came to prefer the spectacular 15K for the deeper water look! So now have an extra 10K light for sale... Heat output is zero, fan noise is virtually non-existent, electricity cost is negligible on MY electric bill... The gooseneck mounting system is not the perfect solution, but for me was more than adequate since I have an open hood. If you are looking for upgrade from Power Compact or T5 lights at reasonable cost, get these Kessils.

2 of 2 People found this review helpful, did you? Yes No

Powerful, low energy, quiet...

by AZ Ratt
Excellent!

Posted: 2/24/2012 from CHANDLER, AZ UNITED STATES Experience Level: Beginner

Comments: Just got into reefing and was only going to purchase a LED due to MH putting off heat, energy consup. etc.(Older tech.) LED seemed an easy choice. This light didn't have many youtube reviews or article reviews(fairly new on the market) but I took a chance with it and am very glad I did. I got the 10k (very white light). My tank is a 20g high 24L x 16H and this light does a marvelous job of lighting every inch. I don't have any corals yet, but I'm sure this light will be awesome. All the coraline(several types on my LR) have been going nuts. It's a bit pricey at 400 with the gooseneck clamp but it works and looks great on my tank. Note that the other spectrums are VERY blue/Purple light, but if you're looking for that then you'll be all good. The only thing I would request is more clamp/mounting options, although the gooseneck does the job.

Much better than T5's

by CHARLES MORIN
Excellent!

Posted: 2/23/2012 from NORTH VANCOUVER, CANADA Experience Level: Intermediate

Comments: I just received my kessils. I ordered 4 of them to cover my 4ft 75gallon tank. It was a tough decision to know which to order so I got 2 sky bly (10K) and 2 ocean blue (15k). I'm glad I made that decision. I think they blend really well together, giving a bit more blue in the color. It looks much better than the T5's they replaced. The Kessils create a light that is much more pleasant and natural to look at. And the shimmering effect is pretty awesome too which you dont get from the T5s.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:58 AM
Vendor

BEST LIGHT ON THE MARKET

by MICHAEL BREAUX
Excellent!

Posted: 2/12/2012 from GULF BREEZE, FL UNITED STATES Experience Level: Intermediate

Comments: I've been using this little A150 "sky blue" LED for a little more than six months now. SPS polyp extension is unbelievable! It's lighting a 20 gal. tall nano reef. There is virtually no heat from this unit and no deviation from its color. At 32 watts of light, It will pay for itself in about a year of use. (Very Important): The manufacture of this light doesn't explain that this 10,000K is also equiped with 450nm blue actinic LED's that are also incompassed within its special lens, thus giving the user the already balanced blend of a 10,000K MH with 20,000K VHO's or CFL's. It's truly the only light your tank will need. One light covers a 2ft x 2ft section of tank at 30" deep with no problem. Metal Halides look yellow compared to this light.

5 of 5 People found this review helpful, did you? Yes No

Amazing!!!

by CORY HARRELSON
Excellent!

Posted: 2/1/2012 from Dallas, TX UNITED STATES Experience Level: Intermediate

Comments: Absolutely worth every penny. Produces incredible amount of light and the shimmer is really cool and by the way there is -- NO HEAT!!!!!!

Great overall, 4.5 out of 5

by Jim
Excellent!

Posted: 1/21/2012 from Brisbane, Australia Experience Level: Intermediate

Comments: Rather than a full review - just some things I didn't see mentioned very much when I read up on them. I got the 10k/sky blues. The good: * Fantastic colour mixing - just a small slightly monochrome ring around the edge of the light at long viewing distances. * Small lens size and wide spread means you can place them so that no light hits a brace or strap of glass. * Incredibly intense light from a small package (and a small space behind a small lens in a small package, even) - just amazing. Objects like fish cast a single clear shadow. The only LED caustics ("shimmer") that truly resemble a MH light that I've ever seen. * A very crisp blue-white colour that seems much more like water at shallow depth than the usual "resembles incandescent" or "resembles office fluorescents" warm/cool whites LEDs. * Light pretty much goes where you want it, not in your eyes/wall/canopy. Unless you're looking right up into the unit from significantly below it, there's no blinding eye strain and very little spill-over of light. The bad (only deducting half a point though): * 1 of 3 units has a faint whine in the fan - still very quiet but annoying if you're close. Other two are almost inaudibly quiet unless you put your ear to them. * Mounting options, if you don't get the goosenecks, are pretty awful. Kessil need to ship the unit with more backplate templates. At the least, they would ship hanging attachments significantly taller than the existing ones. They just don't match the build quality of the rest of the unit at all. * Could have used a secondary lens of some sort, existing ~100 optics don't let you tilt the unit without a lot of reflections. Spread is quite wide (24" diameter circle at 8" from the diffuser). * Breakaway cable could use more overlap between connectors. So: very happy with them overall with some minor nuisances. Also, for Aussies - ordering from marine depot went fine, and they only need an ordinary kettle/pc power plug.

8 of 8 People found this review helpful, did you? Yes No

Kessll A150W

by DREW GLOEDE
Excellent!

Posted: 1/17/2012 from MAYVILLE, WI UNITED STATES Experience Level: Expert

Comments: Love it, after years with reefs, I have down graded to a much smaller tank and this fits the bill. I will agree that the 15K maybe a tad to blue, but I think the 10K would be over powering for my tank. Single light on my 57 looks spectacular. Gives it a theatre look that everyone who has seen my other tanks say they like this one the best. 4.5 stars for now will update when corals and softies have adapted. Love the compact size and no noise, sorry for those who have suggested it maybe a little loud (Forums). Negligible, love it so far.

6 of 6 People found this review helpful, did you? Yes No

kessil A150W ocean blue 15k

by DANIEL DAVIS
Excellent!

Posted: 1/6/2012 from Richmond, VA UNITED STATES Experience Level: Expert

Comments: I was a little skeptical when ordering this light. I was concerned with coverage and color. I have to say that I love this light. Color fits somewhere between a phoenix 14k and a xm 20k (a crisp blue/white with pop). Shimmer is very much like a halide but slightly more erratic(not as tranquil but by no means disco ball like). Everything pops just right without being over actinic. It's very compact, about the size of can of soda or beer. It's by no means dim like some reviews have said. I get better coverage and brightness than I did running a 24" sunpod running 150 watt halide on the same 20H. It runs fairly quiet, a small computer fan like noise for the fan running inside. There doesn't seem to be any banding of colors, it all mixes so you don't get a small rainbow on the sand bed. It doesn't appear violet like with some LEDs. I would seriously consider their next version which is supposed to be equal to a 250 watt halide and color dimmable. Great value and look.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:59 AM
Vendor

Must Buy!

by STEVE MCCARTHA
Excellent!

Posted: 12/29/2011 from CA Experience Level: Expert

Comments: I have a 137G 60/24/22 Custom Reef Tank. My buddy had a Kessil and Let me run Par tests on, I was Shocked with the results. 50 Par on the Bottom and 400 on Top. Kessil Recommends 5-6 for full coverage, ended up going with Three of the 10Ks. The 10K was a Little too White for me so I added 4 Reefbrite Strips, 2 50/50 and 2 Solid Blue. I love the Color now. Par is 100 on Bottom and 400 top with everything running. The Kessils are Super Quite. Also very Easy to set up a Sunrise and Sunset with a Controller. Most Important, The Color Septrum is Correct. I did a Ton of Reseach and Tests, Kessil is the Best light for the Money! Must Buy

4 of 5 People found this review helpful, did you? Yes No

the little light that could

by JEFF HILL
Excellent!

Posted: 12/19/2011 from GREENVILLE, MI UNITED STATES Experience Level: Intermediate

Comments: love them. small, compact, bright.makes my tank explode with color. i think the coral and fish love them too!!!.

Nice LED lights

by ROCKY BAIR
Excellent!

Posted: 12/9/2011 from PUYALLUP, WA UNITED STATES Experience Level: Expert

Comments: These light will work great for certain applications. I have a shallow tank (about 14" of water depth) and they work great for me, but might cast a "shaddow effect" on deeper tanks. I couldn't find too much info on these lights before I purchased them, so I put a couple of video reviews on youtube regarding them. These replaced 2 400w metal halides. I needed 3 of these lights to cover a 72" tank. They do seem much dimmer than the halides but the shimmer is increadible and the power savings are astonishing! They are quiet and look pretty cool. As always, the website folks were a pleasure to do business with. Thanks!

Kessil 150W Ocean Blue

by W. GRAHAM
Great

Posted: 12/6/2011 from LAKEWOOD, NJ UNITED STATES Experience Level: Intermediate

Comments: I was hesitant to buy this light because of the price but after using it for almost three weeks I would recommend it. Pros: 1)Good, solid construction. 2)Quiet but not silent. You can hear the cooling fan inside when it is in use if you are close to the light. 3)Small size. It is about the size of a beer can. 4)"Lightweight". It looks heavier than it is but it weighs, in my opnion, a little more than a full can of beer. 5)The gooseneck attachment is solid, not cheap like some clip-on lights. It is also flexible. The gooseneck attachment comes with hanging clips so you can hang the light from the ceiling. I would buy stronger clips. 6)Stays cool. A BIG plus for me. Cons: 1)Price. Remember, this is a LED light and once it burns out you can not replace the bulb. 2)Brightness. One light should be good for a tank of no more than 20 gallons and if you have a deep tank then this light, in my opinion, will not work for you. Small tank or shallow tank. If you have a tank that is more than 20 gallons I would HIGHLY recommend using two lights. 3)It's a LED light. See #1. 4)No on/off switch. I use a dimmer switch to turn it off. $12.95 at Target. 5)Light intensity can not be adjusted even with a dimmer switch attachemnt. SUCKS! 5)Gooseneck attachment is sold separately. For $300 it should be included with the light because without the gooseneck attachment you can not mount the light onto your tank. Well, I hope this unbias review helps. I reviewed this light for a week before I bought it because I did not want to pay $300 bucks for a garbage light and could not afford $600 plus for a metal halide light. If this light came with the gooseneck attachment I would have given it 5 stars. In my opinion, if you can wait until the price drops to around $200 then it would be a very good buy. Right now, it's a 4 star buy because it's a good quality light, no one makes this type of light and it's a Kessil, which makes quality lighting.

6 of 10 People found this review helpful, did you? Yes No

Flexible, Focused and Powerful

by EUGENE SANCHEZ
Great

Posted: 12/2/2011 from CERRITOS, CA UNITED STATES Experience Level: Intermediate

Comments: The Kessils are very unique, most LED's in this price range under $300 seem too bland and diffused. However, the Kessils are extremely focused and brilliant. Some might not like its tight intensity, but i find it stunning and natural to actual light like snorkeling. Its spot like effect allows for some staging of creative light, you can really see the streams and ripples of light. As for it's cons, if you use the gooseneck clamp, it may take a long time to find a nice sweet spot to shine just right. The clamp is very strong be very careful using two hands to bend and position the light, you can crack your tank glass or snap the light's joint. Also if the water surface is too turbulent, the ripple effect can be very rapid and dizzying. These LED's strength/ price are fairly reasonable hopefully next year they would be $179 or when the 250w equivalents come out.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:00 AM
Vendor

Very nice, small, LED pendant

by Dan
Great

Posted: 11/29/2011 from Palo Alto, CA Experience Level: Intermediate

Comments: I was an early adopter of T5 lighting, and then of LED's. I have used the Orphek, the Ecoxotic Panorama, and now the Kessil A150W. The Kessil was an experiment for me, and in my case, a failure ;-) They appear very well made, and were very well packaged. They are small (smaller than a coke can - about the size of the little 8 oz. ones), and their power supply is also small. The choice of spectrum is delightful (I tried the 10k and the 15k) - but be aware that the 15k is very blue. The 10k looks great to me. I really like the fact that Kessil cares that the light output be matched to the needs of the corals - something that some other companies don't seem to get. My issues were: 1) I just don't like point light sources. These are like a single MH bulb - all the light comes from one place. If you like that, great - but I prefer the spread out light that you get from T5's or the Ecoxotic. 2) The Kessil's are, well, ugly. The power cords are very thick (10mm?). The stalks of the Kessil mounting arms are thick (15mm?). If you wrap the cords around the stalks, you get a black thing about 1" wide arc'ing over your tank - one per light. If I could hide these things in some kind of a hood - none of this would matter, but over my rimless euro style tank - they didn't pass the wife's aesthetic test. Exec summary - great light if used in the right way by someone who likes the look of a MH bulb (point source) light.

1 of 3 People found this review helpful, did you? Yes No

Sweet!

by TIM
Excellent!

Posted: 10/28/2011 from UNITED STATES Experience Level: Intermediate

Comments: I bought 2, 10k Sky Blues to go over my 40 breeder reef. The light output looks like a 12k to my eye. Shimmer on these units is something you must see in person. Small size (can of coke) is great. Fan inside is almost silent. If you have a smaller reef i would recommend.

Kessil lights

by TOM WAARDENBURG
Excellent!

Posted: 10/3/2011 from Wellington, FL UNITED STATES Experience Level: Expert

Comments: I purchased 2 of the sky blue and 2 of the ocean blue to try on my tank. The tank is 72" x 36" x 30"H which includes both fish and corals (SPS & LPS). My goal was to replace 2 MH 400 w each after a ballast fire. The idea of LED to replace MH seems rediculous to me but a friend suggested I try it. If I had a do over, it would be all sky blue lights. I am adding 2 more sky blues which will give me a total of 6 but my corals are all responding fine with the 4 lights. I just want it brighter but figure out the energy saving not to mention constant battle of heat impacting the water from the MH lights. There is ZERO heat effect on the water. I am sold and will be adding additional to the 90 gal refugium also.

11 of 13 People found this review helpful, did you? Yes No

simply amazing

by MATTHEW LAPER
Excellent!

Posted: 10/2/2011 from PARDEEVILLE, WI UNITED STATES Experience Level: Intermediate

Comments: I was skeptical at first, but coral seems to respond well. I have one 10k and one 15k it combines for a great color. I plan on buying 4 more for my 125gal. For a total of 6. The shimmer and color is amazing. Even the color of the fish pop much more then my halides. This company has been I business longer then many of the others and that's why I bought from these guys.

AWESOME

by JOEL SIEBER
Excellent!

Posted: 9/26/2011 from APPLETON, WI UNITED STATES Experience Level: Intermediate

Comments: LOVE these lights, my coral love them, and the shimmering effect is priceless! bought these to start up a solid SPS tank, and my SPS are loving it full polyp extension!! No heat, much brighter then T-5's Halides, so far so good!! will post a review in the next couple of months on progress of grown, if anyone has a par measurement that would be awesome!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:00 AM
Vendor

This LED is killer

by JOE BORBELY
Excellent!

Posted: 9/21/2011 from Lafayette, CO UNITED STATES Experience Level: Intermediate

Comments: The shimmer and power coming out of this little light is amazing, not to mention that it is running completely silent with very minimal heat. Looks sweet on my rimless might have to just get another in the near future! Will have to update with how corals do but I love it so far. Also, very happy I decided to go 10K... much bluer than the pictures make it appear!

Looks good, I hope it lasts

by CHRIS STANKEVITZ
Great

Posted: 8/30/2011 from GOLETA, CA UNITED STATES Experience Level: Intermediate

Comments: Great compact size. It turns off when it overheats. Needs good ventilation -- cannot run in a closed hood or it turns off. It is not as bright as a 150W MH. If they ever make a brighter version, I'll buy that.

5 of 7 People found this review helpful, did you? Yes No

Kessil A150 10K

by JASON S
Excellent!

Posted: 8/23/2011 from Texas Experience Level: Expert

Comments: I bought the Kessil A150 - 10K to replace the 150MH on my 34G Solana tank (due to heat issue, cost of bulbs, and not to mention energy savings) and at first impression I am impressed on how bright this little light is. The ripple effect is 2X better than the MH and the corals seem to be responding well (have had it running about a week now, so time will tell). As for heat from the unit, there is virtually none, with the housing on the fixture being slightly warm to the touch after running 6+ hours. I am glad I went with the 10K as it gives a great crisp look to the tank, although if needed I could always add a few actinic strips to aid in coloration down the road if needed. In the end based on my limited results I would recommend this product - Hope to give another update in a month or so to add any new findings.

45 of 46 People found this review helpful, did you? Yes No

Kessil a150 10K

by ALFRED T
Excellent!

Posted: 8/17/2011 from FOSTER CITY, CA UNITED STATES Experience Level: Intermediate

Comments: I just installed two A150 10K Kessil on my 36L 50 gallon tank. They look beautiful! I am so happy I went with the 10K. I originally ordered the 15K but changed my order. I figured it was easier to add more "blue" in my tank than to try to lighten it up. I am also using two 12 inch Ecoxotic Stunner Strips in Blue. If I want more of the 15K look in the future, I can daisy chain a few more led Stunner Strips to my canopy. The Kessils run very cool and are quite bright. I was running a 250w MH in 10k and 2x 55w power compacts in atinc. To the eyes, the Kessils does not seem to be as bright as the 250 MH, but they seem bright enough. No I will not miss the lilttle bit of brightness from my MH. I've decided to also keep my two 55w power compacts as they seem to "smooth out the lighting and add a little more "blue" to my tank. I must say though, that the Kessils, although initially not as bright to the naked eye compared to the MH, they do seem to over power more of my Sunner strips( harder to make out if there are on) and PC than MH when installed. With less heat, lower power consumption and great water rippling, deciding on Kessil A150 LEDs is a no brainer. Hope to give another review in a few months to see how the corals like them.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:10 AM
Vendor

Also, it's clear that we won't have any problem reaching the goal of 40 units as we have now sold 24 in the first week, so...

Price is now $265 per unit.

Must be prepaid before March 31st. Discount will show once product is added to cart. Free shipping.

-----> Purchase here <-----
Old 03-22-2012, 04:28 AM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

Just over a week to get your orders in!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:45 PM
Vendor

LAST DAY IS TODAY!
Don't miss out!