Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-09-2018, 08:10 PM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road
Default Washington State now taxing mail orders 10%

I just made a purchase from Bulk Reef Supply and they charged me 10% sales tax on a shipment I had sent to my PO box in Blaine. It is now a new requirement that all out of State mail orders are taxed in Washington.

It is really not worth having it shipping to Blaine when I can have it shipped from Bulk Reef Supply (taxes, brokerage fees etc.) to Canada for 18%. Saves me having to drive down to the States and still have to claim what I bought at the border.

Based on the difference in the dollar and great prices here in Canada there is not much value in ordering from the US anymore.

Had no choice for this purchase wanted the Clearwater Algae Scrubber and no one in Canada can get it in.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:33 PM

crimper is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the heads up.

However it is still worth it depends on the vendor and the product you are ordering as some shops would not ship to Canada, worst is if they do it takes forever to clear it to customs as you know there are still lots of backlogs of containers in the Canada Post warehouse in Richmond. Last time I ordered something from China it took more than a month before I receive it. Tracking says its delivered after a couple of weeks, but didnt get it. After haggling with the seller they said that the package is waiting customs clearance and it is located at the Canada Post Facility in Richmond.

Oh and there are vendors that offers free shipping if it is a US address and you'll pay a hefty shipping fee if you choose to ship it to Canada. So buyer beware.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:21 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

Its new and not everyone is charging it. Aquarium Specialty and Marine Depot are not charging it yet but that may change.

It is going to be an accounting nightmare for the company shipping the item. They now how to file tax in Washington State as well as there home state.

If Washington gets tough and starts enforcing this tax we may see companies not willing to ship to Washington or charge a premium on orders sent to Washington.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:43 AM

604reefer is on a distinguished road

Amazon, Nordstrom, and other major online retailers I shop at in the US have been charging this on shipments to Blaine for quite some time now. I can't remember exactly when I started paying... for Blaine it is 8.7%, so you shouldn't be charged 10%.

I don't think this will change companies not shipping to WA. This is going to become standard in the US, just as it is in Canada, IMO.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:54 AM

kyl is on a distinguished road

It's the result of a recent US supreme court ruling, so everyone will have to get on board eventually.